Metro Redux [PS4, XO]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
DF mentioned that tessellation and super-sampling are missing. We can safely assume that PhysX is also missing. :)

Would that still leave the PS4 on the higher end of graphical settings?

I'm interested because if I remember right, BF4 is mostly medium at 900p 60fps.

Did they say it was near maximum settings? The comparison to the pc release is what I'm waiting for.

Well if they locked it at 30fps then tessellation and physX should be easily included since nobody cares about supersampling anyway. I think consoles PS4 specifically might have tessellation on low or medium at best.

For comparison if I recall from fuzzy memory, I run the PC version on a 6970 at 30-60 FPS with near max settings (I think I had to turn maybe tessellation off?. IIRC it can bottom out at even below 30 FPS for the lowest points, but will often run in the 40's, 50's+.

I think the bottleneck is my 2.4 ghz Q6600 though. I doubt 1.6 ghz Jaguars have any more grunt, so I guess it's optimization.

nobody cares about supersampling anyway.

Only because few can run it due to the performance requirements. Console gamers seem very interested in resolution and antialiasing these days and Supersampling is the ultimate example of that. I'm pretty sure if the PS4 version featured Supersampling and the XBO version didn't then people would get VERY interested in it.

Only because few can run it due to the performance requirements. Console gamers seem very interested in resolution and antialiasing these days and Supersampling is the ultimate example of that. I'm pretty sure if the PS4 version featured Supersampling and the XBO version didn't then people would get VERY interested in it.

Typical hoopla based reaction… I see it from all sides, including PC gamers.

Would that still leave the PS4 on the higher end of graphical settings?
I think more would be missing. Shadow Caster are fewer, I can't spot muzzle flash/explosions shadows in any of the released footage. Also DoF and Motion Blur are likely of lower resolution in the PS4 version. Ambient Occlusion and shadow resolution are another likely candidates as well.

I think more would be missing. Shadow Caster are fewer, I can't spot muzzle flash/explosions shadows in any of the released footage. Also DoF and Motion Blur are likely of lower resolution in the PS4 version. Ambient Occlusion and shadow resolution are another likely candidates as well.

We shall see. Still the games assets are at the maximum settings for the most part.
Lighting has been improved ,Custom GI added, as well as double the framerate of the lastgen versions all at much improved res over last gen. Not to mention subtle gameplay improvements here and there. It has been a day one buy for me on the X1 since they announced it. The preview from DF only brings me more confidence in my purchase.

1080p, higher resolution textures, twice the framerate, global illumination, less load times...it seems they are really using that ram to higher effect. GJ 4A. Compared to the previous console version, its the equivalent of a high end PC game now. I think i'd be happy with these results for a while to come, even if the game at its core is still based on having to hold itself back in favor of the previous gen.

I'm not a big fan of the remasters trend, but it seems like they did it the right way and did a very good job of it. It also wasn't a huge seller, though I imagine they did well enough. This could be a good window where next-gen gamers are looking for something to play and there's not much out there. Less competition then they had on ps360. They could do very well with this, especially at a lower price point.

I wish they would include an option for better graphics at 30fps. I personally think they are wasting a lot of GPU power by going 60fps. In my opinion, all 60fps games should have an option to boost lighting, shadows, geometry, lod, etc.

You mean, like TLOU? Give specific graphics features in return for lowering the vsynch value down to 30fps?

I dunno about that...it just seems like another thing for developers to bitch about that they have to be forced into doing.

I remember when DICE ranted at players who were requesting an option to switch aiming and shooting with the dualshock 4 back to the dualshock 3 configuration. "oh its too much work for us developers", "oh why arent people grateful for what we're giving them already, "oh your asking us to waste our manhours putting in negligible features nobody will care about"

I keep saying it, 30fps and 60fps option in a console game is the future. It simultaneously satisfy the graphics whores and performance freaks while not risking any potential loss of sales due to the absence of any one of those feature. Of course the difference has to be much bigger than just some better shadows. Games with a pc version should be even easier since you would have all the graphics settings on the go and shouldn't take too long just to compile them for a console.
I can guarantee publishers and developers more sales if they see the genius in this;).

I keep saying it, 30fps and 60fps option in a console game is the future. It simultaneously satisfy the graphics whores and performance freaks while not risking any potential loss of sales due to the absence of any one of those feature. Of course the difference has to be much bigger than just some better shadows. Games with a pc version should be even easier since you would have all the graphics settings on the go and shouldn't take too long just to compile them for a console.
I can guarantee publishers and developers more sales if they see the genius in this;).

It sounds like a good idea, but as a seasoned console gamer who stopped PC gaming decades ago, I'm not sure I want the stress of having to choose between the two.
With PC gaming, I used to spend most of the time just tweaking and optimising the hardware - usually screwing things up - and not actually playing the bloody game. This is something console gaming has fixed for me, I just play the thing and I don't have to satisfy my constant need to fuck things up.
That's just me, I can understand why a lot of people would want the option.

It sounds like a good idea, but as a seasoned console gamer who stopped PC gaming decades ago, I'm not sure I want the stress of having to choose between the two.
With PC gaming, I used to spend most of the time just tweaking and optimising the hardware - usually screwing things up - and not actually playing the bloody game. This is something console gaming has fixed for me, I just play the thing and I don't have to satisfy my constant need to fuck things up.
That's just me, I can understand why a lot of people would want the option.

My good sir, there is absolutely no need to tweak anything on console other than choose 30fps mode on/off. It would automatically load the graphics preset depends on which mode you choose and that's the beauty of it. Of course one can assume there will be description under each mode outlining the specifics. 30fps could have 1080p, better aa, shadows, effects,tessellation etc while 60fps might give you 900p and standard effects. The idea is devs would have locked the fps for you so you don't need to tweak it yourself:).

Back