Assassins Creed Unity [PS4, XO]

If the texture data is stored in a compressed format not directly supported by the GPU (such as zlib, lzx, jpg-xr, etc), that data needs to be uncompressed (or transcoded) during loading. This step takes some CPU time (as variable length data decoding is often processed on CPU).

I thought the PS4 had a dedicated chip for that!?

I thought the PS4 had a dedicated chip for that!?

It has hardware zlib decompression. If you're not using texture (or other assets) compressed with zlib or another format natively understood by the GPU then you need to decompress first.

But sebbbi... How much is that extra weight on the CPU? Percentage wise? From what I read we are talking very low values.
And couldnt hardware instancing be used on the large crowds to reduce CPU usage?
Besides I really doubt CPU is so stressed that the game is limited at exact 30 fps. It may be at 40,45, something not enough to reach the 60, but doubtfull it is at exact 30. So I still believe 1080p could be achievable on PS4. Even if a dinamic resolution had to be used dropping to 900p in heavier situations.
Besides if textures are not compressed using formats that consoles can decode using their specific hardware we cannot say we are in the presence of a engine that is console optimized. And EA claims its working on this engine for four years, with the game built from the ground for the new consoles.

After watching this video a few times, I cannot see any AI improvement. The NPCs actions look worst than GTA IV. You have characters either in static positions waiting for someone (the protagonist) to talk with or reacting to scripted events. As for the "massive crowds" are they kidding... most the streets look dead empty. The graphics look cool in certain angles, yet ungly in others... anisotropic filtering also looks weak as well. Draw looks good, but there was popin at certain points... luckily the fog/smog conceals most of it.

After watching this video a few times, I cannot see any AI improvement. The NPCs actions look worst than GTA IV. You have characters either in static positions waiting for someone (the protagonist) to talk with or reacting to scripted events. As for the "massive crowds" are they kidding... most the streets look dead empty. The graphics look cool in certain angles, yet ungly in others... anisotropic filtering also looks weak as well. Draw looks good, but there was popin at certain points... luckily the fog/smog conceals most of it.

Much blurry, so not wow indeed. Feels like quite a downgrade from the very first gameplay reveal, oh well it's ubi's bait and switch after all.

What do you expect the whole city to look like a business district during lunch time or a mall during the holiday season? Most urban streets are dead empty. The video seems pretty lacking in terms of providing scenes that show huge crowds (which other videos show) and any detailed AI behavior.

What do you expect the whole city to look like a business district during lunch time or a mall during the holiday season? Most urban streets are dead empty. The video seems pretty lacking in terms of providing scenes that show huge crowds (which other videos show) and any detailed AI behavior.

No. What I exspect is a game reflective of the hyperbole UBI spouted recently... from streets teaming with life, to advanced AI. Which so far, this game has not shown. If you call advanced AI, where the servants and residents are standing around (non-emotional / dumbfounded) while the order/brotherhood is jumping in and out windows - without anyone shouting or defending their property... is somewhat unrealistic. Better yet, the stupid guards running into the smoke and choking after the smoke bomb has exploded... instead of going into the opposite direction. Even the most simplest actions of the towns folks just standing around static waiting for a conversation looks awful... along with that nasty glowing effect.

Nothing In this game is impressive, IMHO. Graphics for the most part are ok, but nothing jaw dropping. And the AI looks typical and sometimes worst than GTA IV NPCs.

Last edited by a moderator:
The game gives out a lot of 'delay me' me vibes, but the marketing and investors would probably object very loudly, so I am a bit worried about the state it will be released in. I may delay my purchase at the very least until the first patch, excluding the inevitable day-one patch and the soon to follow emergency fix braking issues patch.

Back