Infamous vs. Titanfall sales. And WTF is 'hype' anyway?? *spawn

[

infamous its all forum threads, titanfall its actual new articles hype
To suggest than infamous has more hype than titanfall is sigworthy

Infamous has more youtube views as well as more thread views on Neogaf/B3D and I presume any other forums. Why would that be true if Titanfall is more hyped?

You can watch some Xbox's sell here btw. Hey it's numbers! Sale for $449, but it has a sold counter. Internet is just kinda picking up on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-X...5335869999&campid=5335869999&afepn=5335869999

Infamous has more youtube views as well as more thread views on Neogaf/B3D and I presume any other forums. Why would that be true if Titanfall is more hyped?

That's because there is a difference between peoples interest in an item and the hype surrounding it. It's a distinction you either fail to see or are refusing to see because of the implications implicit with it.

Websites writing articles saying how amazing the game is, how ground breaking etc etc, ad nauseum, is very different to individuals sharing pictures or videos of the game because they're blown away by how good it looks.

There are more ps4 owners so YouTube views and game sales are no longer relevant indicators of hype in my opinion

That's because there is a difference between peoples interest in an item and the hype surrounding it. It's a distinction you either fail to see or are refusing to see because of the implications implicit with it.

Websites writing articles saying how amazing the game is, how ground breaking etc etc, ad nauseum, is very different to individuals sharing pictures or videos of the game because they're blown away by how good it looks.

Hype is also people on forums, youtube, constantly "hyping" the game. Forums are not as general and grassroots as google search, twitter, etc. It's more where viral marketers and fanboys can dominate.

If Titanfall is beating Infamous 10-1 in Google search interest/twitter (interest by regular people at the most grassroots level), but on forums it seems the opposite is true, well that suggests forums are biased and "hyping" a product, not vice versa.

Are we really discussing which game is more hyped than the other? Surely each 'fundamentalist side' will use that against that other accordingly. One selling more or less than the other because it was more or less hyped than the other. Yet again trying to defend a purchase. Haven't we moved on from this level of discussion at all?

Has the press talked more about Titanfall? Duh, it has been released and reviewed and was the star of some previous gaming shows.

In terms of advertising budget I expect Infamous has a similar budget, but I doubt it will move as many copies simply because of the game type. (not counting bundles)

Are we really discussing which game is more hyped than the other? Surely each 'fundamentalist side' will use that against that other accordingly. One selling more or less than the other because it was more or less hyped than the other. Yet again trying to defend a purchase. Haven't we moved on from this level of discussion at all?

It's more trying to define the meaning of hype in terms of paid for player interest and genuine players interest in a game. Whether there is a difference between two people talking about a game and a mid break TV advert or whole article eulogising the subject. Rangers seems to think they equate to the same thing.

More to head off the fundies approach to defence if there is a discrepancy in sales figures than to defend a product that isn't available yet.

Has the press talked more about Titanfall? Duh, it has been released and reviewed and was the star of some previous gaming shows.

In terms of advertising budget I expect Infamous has a similar budget, but I doubt it will move as many copies simply because of the game type. (not counting bundles)

The dropping of a Titan was core to all of MS's adverts for the XB1 well before we neared the actual launch date. Sony just never seem to hype up their own games as much as MS do. The majority of interest in Infamous is from word of mouth and not paid for advertising or pro articles in magazines or websites.

The dropping of a Titan was core to all of MS's adverts for the XB1 well before we neared the actual launch date. Sony just never seem to hype up their own games as much as MS do. The majority of interest in Infamous is from word of mouth and not paid for advertising or pro articles in magazines or websites.

Not sure I saw the MS advert you're referring to, but I can say I've seen 4 infamous TV spots in the last hour.

Not sure I saw the MS advert you're referring to, but I can say I've seen 4 infamous TV spots in the last hour.

It may have been UK only. It was on practically every break during prime time over here. I've seen the Infamous ad once and that was on the back of a TF advert during Shield. And it launches in two days.

Infamous has more youtube views as well as more thread views on Neogaf/B3D and I presume any other forums. Why would that be true if Titanfall is more hyped
You might wanna recheck neogaf. Wrt main threads

Titanfall over 800k views 13k replies
Infamous over 600k views 6k replies

BTW the film I'm currently watching is called 'titanfind':idea:

Canada is a strange place, XB1 out of stock and nothing but PS4 commercials. :smile:

I dont watch much TV, mostly soccer game on the weekend and champions league mid week but I've seen TF ads and never a single Infamous ad....

Granted that's anecdotal but I'm surprised we're actually debating how much marketing was directed at these two games and pretending it's been equal.... :rolleyes:

Sony is routinely critized for not marketing games as hard as MS....

I've seen a lot of Infamous ads on Sportsnet and I think TSN in Canada. A lot of Titanfall ads prior to release.

But ya, the PS4 pretty much hasn't been in stock since early February or even late January. I'm sure they get trickled into retail stores, but not online. XB1 has been in stock everywhere for a while now.

Canada is a strange place, XB1 out of stock and nothing but PS4 commercials. :smile:

XB1 has been in stock for quite a while, but I have seen a lot of infamous ads (well mostly the same one over and over). And I never said I didn't see titanfall ads, just the particular one mentioned.

MS advertising seemed more prevalent during football season, now I definitely see more PS ads. That could certainly just be because of what I watch.

Hype is also people on forums, youtube, constantly "hyping" the game.
Already mentioned. You'll find probably everyone else is using 'hype' to mean (paid for) marketing in terms of adverts, articles, TV time, etc. Forums and chatroom discussion among users can include hype (people saying it's the greatest game ever) but also general discussion, like, "I don't think this game looks that good." A good fight can see dozens of posts over something not even part of the thread subject.

Please use hype the same way everyone else is, otherwise we'll just have confusing arguments and more bickering than discussion.
Edit: Type 'Hype' into Google and read the definition. "Extravagant or intensive publicity or promotion." Not "people talking lots about something".

If Titanfall is beating Infamous 10-1 in Google search interest/twitter (interest by regular people at the most grassroots level), but on forums it seems the opposite is true, well that suggests forums are biased and "hyping" a product, not vice versa.
I'm not even convinced of that. There are more PS4 owners than XB1 owners, yet the TF threads are getting proportionally higher hits. Also look at the times. TF thread in this forum was started June 2013, Infamous started Feb 2013. So Infamous thread has had more time to grow.

Forum discussion can include hype, but it can also include derision and complaint, so simple number of posts is meaningless. Analysts who use social media to evaluate a product's performance search for appearance of key words within such discussion to determine how much discussion is positive and how much is negative.

Overall, your analysis of the numbers is missing key points of interpretation and jumping to an unsupported conclusion, while your use of the term 'hype' is out of sync with everyone else's in this discussion about sales and what's driving them. I should probably extradite this noise to save this thread.

Extradited.

This thread is dumb. Who gives a shit which has more hype, word of mouth or marketing?

They're the first non-launch titles to come out for each system that really look like top-shelf games. They're both going to sell extremely well because there's basically no competition on either platform.

I'm not even convinced of that. There are more PS4 owners than XB1 owners, yet the TF threads are getting proportionally higher hits.

Doesn't really mean much, for a start a lot could be just PS4 owners seeing what the beef is - the other could be that the actual Titanfall potential userbase (ie XBO+PC+X360) is significantly higher than the InFamous one.

This thread is dumb. Who gives a shit which has more hype, word of mouth or marketing?

As I said, ultimately it's so that each fundamentalist side has a chance to say "my game sold less than yours but that's ok because it was less hyped!!!1111!111". With the obvious retorts, flawed arguments and data, and in the end dustbin thread.

They're not even the same type of game. One is single player only. The other is multiplayer only. On different systems. Shall I continue?

Yawn.

Perhaps to stop any further leveraging of semantic cues the forum should include a commonly, in the games market, used lexicon with standard definitions that everyone agrees, or has to, with by using the forum?

Back