Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Forza and Gran Turismo both had a feature where you could add additional screens to increase the fov by way of multiple ps3s\xbox360s

If they give the option of using 2 ps4s (one for each eye), then people could game without the decrease in performance/resolution.

Decreased resolution is a factor of the screen as much as the hardware supporting it so more power wouldn't help unless they up the screen resolution. Occulus suffers the same problem with its current screen. Even with tri-SLI Titan Blacks powering the game (very roughly maybe the equivalent of 8 PS4's) you're still going to be stuck with 960x1080 per eye.

Framerate could be improved bit that is again limited by the display, in Occulus's case to 75fps, I'm not sure what Morpheus's refresh rate is but I assume something similar.

GamesIndustry's hands-on impressions with Morpheus along with some quotes from their discussion with Marks. Not much in the way of new info but some additional details on existing information:

"A lot of the demos have about 40ms of prediction built into the tracking system," he tells me. "But that depends on your rendering system. About 40ms is probably the best you can get out of it right now, but that's too much - it's something we want to bring down. If you don't do enough on the graphics side it gets worse and you start to get some artifacts from the prediction system. We know that needs to be improved."

EDIT

Eurogamer interview with Anton Mikhailov

Last edited by a moderator:
If Carmack got stock as CTO, he might have gotten enough to refund his rocket hobby. ;)

Facebook could have higher-end gaming plans.
Outside of gaming, just imagine the market value of not just knowing what people are linking to, but knowing what they are looking at with the full metrics provided from the display and tracking hardware.

Damn.. how was Occulus worth $2B?!

There is no way that only FB was interested in this. MS, Google and Amazon could have driven the price up.

Plus, VR that is provides "true sense of presence" with perfect visual fidelity, cheap hardware, easily deployable both on PCs and mobiles, with big initial following and easy software stack.... its worth that money even without competition driving up the price.

2bil sounds maybe even low. :D

Notch is out

EqWbK4M.png

Back