edit: http://scei.co.jp/corporate/release/140319_e.html

• LCD 5 inches
  • 1920×RGB×1080 (960×RGB×1080 per eye)
  • 90 degrees FOV
  • HDMI + USB
  • 3D audio, Social Screen

fvchgCi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I used one of the later prototypes around this time last year and it was better than the Rift dev-kit available at that time.

Both products have obviously evolved since.

I think Sony's big advantage over the Rift though will be the ability to get developers to commit to develop for the headset.

I used one of the later prototypes around this time last year and it was better than the Rift dev-kit available at that time.

Both products have obviously evolved since.

I think Sony's big advantage over the Rift though will be the ability to get developers to commit to develop for the headset.

Anything is better than the Oculus Rift DK1. The resolution was/is godawful... But the Project Morpheus proto seems to have specs similar to the latest Oculus Crystal Cove Prototype. The CC does have a wider GFOV though..

The design looks great, but where are the tracking leds? Are they the blue glow areas?

1000Hz !! I guess that's only relative data from accelerometer and gyros? The eyetoy will provide 120Hz of absolute data?

90 degrees FOV is okay, I was hoping for more. Depends how they measure it, I guess.

A single 5" 1080p panel means it'll be very low cost, it's a very popular cellphone panel type. That's too bad, I was hoping for something a bit more high end. But I can't deny it has to be under $300, otherwise it'd be a niche. Or a bigger panel for wider FOV would be too big and heavy.

There doesn't seem to be any fancy predictive frames for lag. :cry:

A single panel is a problem for pupil-distance adjustment for different persons. Maybe there's a way....

I'm scared it might not work with prescription glasses, it looks too small for that. :mad:

The version I used didn't have final optics, but they were pretty accommodating. The IPD can be accounted for with prismatic correction in the lens.
The only think I really know about the lens is they are custom designed for the application.

So in the end it matches up with crystal cove. I was hoping for a little more. Hopefully oculus pulls through with a 1440p screen

HD : 1280x720 (DK1) = 921.600 Pixel (16:9)
Full HD: 1920x1080 (CC) = 2.073.600 (16:9)
[2K: 2048x1536 = 3.145.728 ] (4:3)
WQHD: 2560x1440 = 3.686.400 (16:9)

I was kinda hoping that the screens from their other headset were cheap now and we would have gotten 720p per eye.

I'm assuming this will be a 2015 launch

We have the same number of pixel per eye as 720p.

The EVF and HMD oled devices from other sony's devices are very expensive as they are made on silicon, they are also too small to provide anything close to a usable FOV for VR. Oled on glass cannot reach this resolution, that leaves LCD as the only solution for now, until Samsung gets another breakthrough. If the technology doesn't exist there's nothing you can do.

I speculate that resolution being equal, Sony might have an advantage over Occulus.

the hmd z1 or whatever has 1.5 inch 720p screens which is 980 ppi while a 5inch screen at 1080 p is 440 .

So that would be a much better outcome

I think this was it? From the RoadtoVR live blog
Ha! Yes!

What's forward prediction anyway? Prediction is necessarily forward or it wouldn't be called prediction :LOL:

I suppose they calculate where the head will be when the frame will be finished rendering, that would be elegant, if they know the current frame rate, and the motion of the head...they can plan ahead to arrive as close as possible.

It's not adding frames or subtracting lag though, so it's bound to have artifacts. It's not as cool as using a form of camera stabilizer algorithm. But it's free so I guess it's another thing that allow them to reach the price point.

the hmd z1 or whatever has 1.5 inch 720p screens which is 980 ppi while a 5inch screen at 1080 p is 440 .

They aren't usable in this application, because you simply can't get a usable exit pupil and a 90 degree FOV from a pair of 1.5 inch screens.
With conventional optics you need a large screen to start with to get a decent FOV with a usable exit pupil.
Technically holographic wave guides would allow you to solve that problem BUT you dilute the brightness of the image so as to make it unusable (at least for now)

Looking great so far, just wish it was OLED. :(
Why?

So in the end it matches up with crystal cove. I was hoping for a little more. Hopefully oculus pulls through with a 1440p screen

HD : 1280x720 (DK1) = 921.600 Pixel (16:9)
Full HD: 1920x1080 (CC) = 2.073.600 (16:9)
[2K: 2048x1536 = 3.145.728 ] (4:3)
WQHD: 2560x1440 = 3.686.400 (16:9)

I was kinda hoping that the screens from their other headset were cheap now and we would have gotten 720p per eye.

I'm assuming this will be a 2015 launch
I have no idea why you would expect higher than 1080p, the PS4 has no reason to go above that.

We have the same number of pixel per eye as 720p.

The EVF and HMD oled devices from other sony's devices are very expensive as they are made on silicon, they are also too small to provide anything close to a usable FOV for VR. Oled on glass cannot reach this resolution, that leaves LCD as the only solution for now, until Samsung gets another breakthrough. If the technology doesn't exist there's nothing you can do.

I speculate that resolution being equal, Sony might have an advantage over Occulus.

Morpheus isn't 1280x720p per eye(921,600 Pixel), it's 980x1080p per eye(1,036,800 pixels) which is 12.5% more.

Also the HMZ screens are 0.7inch which make them 2098PPI.

Looks cool. Is it wireless? Just curious. I've kind of wondered how they were going to tackle that issue in the living room. I saw some pics where they looked wired. Wired to the controller?

PPI doesn't matter here, resolution and perceived screen size does. For example you could use a 7" 1080p screen or a 5" 1080p screen. The 5" has much higher PPI, but to get the same perceived screen size you have to put it closer to the eyes, once you normalize the perceived screen size, they look the same.

A 1.5" or 0.7" 720p screen would need to be put super close to the eye and the PPI advantage would disappear and the end result with the same perceived screen size would be a lot worse. Using such a small screens don't seem to be an option anyway, but the point is resolution is what matters, not PPI of the screen.

They aren't usable in this application, because you simply can't get a usable exit pupil and a 90 degree FOV from a pair of 1.5 inch screens.
With conventional optics you need a large screen to start with to get a decent FOV with a usable exit pupil.
Technically holographic wave guides would allow you to solve that problem BUT you dilute the brightness of the image so as to make it unusable (at least for now)

Thank you for the answer. I've used the original dev kit and a modded dev kit with an lg screen on it . I've also used crystal cove and the screen door is still there. That's why I was hoping sony would flex some of its muscle (they do still make screens right ?) and put something better in there

Why?

I have no idea why you would expect higher than 1080p, the PS4 has no reason to go above that.

Morpheus isn't 1280x720p per eye(921,600 Pixel), it's 980x1080p per eye(1,036,800 pixels) which is 12.5% more.

Also the HMZ screens are 0.7inch which make them 2098PPI.

as I've said above , I've used 2 official and one unofficial occulus . I still get the screen door even with crystal cove. I was hoping to get something a bit better around 1440p to start with

Back