Low cost rogue chip coming ?

The Rogue 6XE series have in fact been announced.

But just because it's from Allwinner, it doesn't mean it's a low-cost SoC.
I'd say a 4*Cortex A15 + 4*Cortex A7 big.LITTLE configuration is anything but a low-cost solution.

Making a 7" tablet for $150 isn't that much of an achievement. I bet nVidia could do that with the Tegra Note 7 if they took out the stylus input layer and skipped on the storage amount.

I wouldn't pay for anything with WinRT.

For a $150 tablet...WinRT is fine...I'd buy one.;)

No sorry I'd rather take an Android MT8135 tablet where at least I can find a healthy amount of applications if I need them.

The Rogue 6XE series have in fact been announced.

But just because it's from Allwinner, it doesn't mean it's a low-cost SoC.
I'd say a 4*Cortex A15 + 4*Cortex A7 big.LITTLE configuration is anything but a low-cost solution.

Making a 7" tablet for $150 isn't that much of an achievement. I bet nVidia could do that with the Tegra Note 7 if they took out the stylus input layer and skipped on the storage amount.

I wouldn't pay for anything with WinRT.

The low end DX9L3 G6100 had been announced months ago before the 6XE series. Considering the above mentioned MT8135 has a 2+2 A15/7 config and a G6200 I agree with you. Allwinner after all have already a 544MP2@300MHz in its current A31 which wasn't all that humble when it first appeared either. I could easily imagine even a 6400 in the A80, but yes for me too even for 150 or even less winRT= yikes.

For me the main usage would be for browsing the internet and streaming videos and email and also as a Smartglass companion to Xbox.

As I recall, the Allwinner A31 had pretty crummy battery life. At least that's what I remember from reading some chinatablet reviews when it was first released. Not sure if anything has changed since then, but I'm not initially too expectant about this new Allwinner chip.

Mediatek and Rockchip do a pretty good job with the performance and battery life of their chips so it will be interesting to see if Allwinner can compete with them.

Let's just say that all of them are up to a degree in some sort of "learning phase". There's hardly ever everything working as it should (hold on that's not a singled out phenomenon just for those 3 :p ). I rather recall for the A31 (mostly Ainol though which has more than one device with overheating complaints in its track record) some wifi related complaints for which I can't say that my personal experience with the MT6589 wifi signal is all that great either, rather in the crapalicious direction which according to reports has been fixed in the meantime.

http://barelyfinancial.wordpress.com/2013/04/27/hands-on-review-of-ainol-novo-9-sparkfirewire/

The 10000 battery on this one is pretty good. A 3A charger charges it up really fast where as a USB charger doesnt charges it at all (probably a bug?). The battery drain is quite acceptable, on standby mode with wifi off it almost never drains but with wifi on and working it drains out quite rapidly so I’m not sure about 8 hours claim that Ainol makes, still acceptable.

Sounds like another wifi related problem; if wifi is on a separate chip like in my case above I"m not surprised at all, but it's not SoC related either.

confirmed today to be G6230 core.

http://withimagination.imgtec.com/i...-processor-packs-powervr-series6-gpu-64-cores.

Interesting that one of the links in my original post suggested that it might be used for winRT and that the IMG article states:-

"PowerVR support for DirectX 10 enables OEMs/ODMs looking to build Windows RT tablets to access the best GPU available at the moment. And considering Allwinner has always had a cost-conscious approach to apps processors, end users can now have access to more affordable devices which make no compromises when it comes to cutting-edge, low power graphics technology"

Can't be coincidental that IMG mentions WinRT, suggests to me that the rumour in the original article is correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bragging about what you can support is always good.
Intel has announced two SoC with Atom and PowerVR graphics too, Moorefield and Merrifield. No idea if those will get Windows product (smartphones, even "Surface Pro"-alike products?)

For a $150 tablet...WinRT is fine...I'd buy one.;)

I reckon WinRT is a bit expensive as it comes with a version of Office. They would have to leave it out.
Also the current situation is schizophrenic with Microsoft having three OSes : full (x86 only), RT and Phone. There were strong hints that RT and Phone will become one OS so it can become a bit clearer.

No sorry I'd rather take an Android MT8135 tablet where at least I can find a healthy amount of applications if I need them.

A "jailbroken" Windows RT tablet can run Windows desktop apps, if they could be recompiled for ARM - thus, some open source stuff. If someone gave me a Microsoft Surface so it can be saved from ending in an Arizona landfill, I'd play with that.

Back