Monitor companies are incompetent fools

MfA

Legend
NVIDIA makes a reference design for a variable vblank TN display and manufacturers have their customized copies out in months.

In the mean time cheap as chips 4K and 120 Hz capable (not at the same time, 1080p at 120 Hz) MVA panels have been available for over a year now and still the only bloody way to get one in the US is in a TV from some fly by night brand and in the EU through imports. You could make a 4K/120Hz monitor with a scanning backlight for minimum investment and sell them at prices almost guaranteed to sell.

I agree!

Maybe the end-users are equally incompetent fools so monitor companies dont see a need to innovate...4K/120Hz/3500:1 MVA is perfectly suited for PC/Mac moreso than TV imo....but the prevalence of crappy 1ms TN and glowy 6-bit IPS panels have degraded the monitoring experience in recent years...

Apple save us.

I was surprised at the lack of ips monitors. I ended up going with aoc as they had 23 inch 1080p ips stuff for only $150 .

Its amazing that 5 years ago I bought a scepter that was 1080p (tn) for the same price. ITs kinda like we have stayed still while the mobile space has exploded.

They are monetizing on the fact that (most) people are completely ignorant about monitors and will just buy the one with the prettier outer shell at the store.
Perhaps they would be incompetent if they didn't take advantage of that situation.

I recently bought an MVA-based monitor from Benq to replace my old Dell fpw2005 that died. I really like it. Great color, good blacks, really impressive response and virtually no ghosting. It was also cheap as heck for a 24 inch monitor.

Profit being available in one area does not preclude other areas. Competition is intense and they are desperate for differentiation given the speed at which gsync got adopted ... they just have no imagination or vision, they're sheep who only know how to copy or follow instructions.

the fact that (most) people are completely ignorant about monitors and will just buy the one with the prettier outer shell at the store

ignorance ... and the lack of real choice... as well

I recently bought an MVA-based monitor from Benq to replace my old Dell fpw2005 that died. I really like it. Great color, good blacks, really impressive response and virtually no ghosting. It was also cheap as heck for a 24 inch monitor.

Since I have the Sony Xperia S mobile phone and its display quality is astonishing, may you please tell me, if possible of course, how would you compare this new monitor of yours to the aforementioned mobile display, and if they can't be compared, which monitor would you recommend to offer similar and closest quality?

Thanks

I was surprised at the lack of ips monitors. I ended up going with aoc as they had 23 inch 1080p ips stuff for only $150 .

Its amazing that 5 years ago I bought a scepter that was 1080p (tn) for the same price. ITs kinda like we have stayed still while the mobile space has exploded.

TN displays should be thrown out of the market and as said in my previous post, displays' quality like that in my smartphone should be the standard for monitors, and their price should be lowered in order to see a movement in the desktop market...

Plus, Microsoft is hugely responsible with Windows 9 'Threshold'. We will see whether they will be able to produce something worth it to discuss

Profit being available in one area does not preclude other areas. Competition is intense and they are desperate for differentiation given the speed at which gsync got adopted ... they just have no imagination or vision, they're sheep who only know how to copy or follow instructions.
Good thread, OP. More monitors should be direct drive, Gsync, 144 hz signal, full 24 bit IPS, and with scanning backlight assuming all those are even possible all together.

Who is more responsible?
Monitor companies for being too slow in adoption of high quality Ultra HD panels for the mainstream market, or Microsoft together with Adobe and Google for not providing software background for such an adoption?

Windows seems to be A JOKE regarding next-generation quality experience with these super annoying low-quality, low-resolution icons everywhere in the applications! Not only that, of course.

Seems no one cares to give a damn and they are simply not ready. Which is super strange and frustrating.

Good thread, OP. More monitors should be direct drive, Gsync, 144 hz signal, full 24 bit IPS, and with scanning backlight assuming all those are even possible all together.

I suppose that Gsync monitor also support free sync? If that so, then I rather remove Gsync and just do free sync only just to keep the cost down. And yes, why 144 and not 120hz? If more is better, then why don't go for (insert large numbers here) hz? I guess if it wouldn't add much to the cost, then more is better, but if dropping from 144 to 120 can make it noticeably cheaper then I certainly choose the 120.

Who is more responsible?
Monitor companies for being too slow in adoption of high quality Ultra HD panels for the mainstream market, or Microsoft together with Adobe and Google for not providing software background for such an adoption?

Windows seems to be A JOKE regarding next-generation quality experience with these super annoying low-quality, low-resolution icons everywhere in the applications! Not only that, of course.

Seems no one cares to give a damn and they are simply not ready. Which is super strange and frustrating.

know whats beautiful ? Windows 8 on a high res display. No small crappy looking icons ...

I think Windows 8 is a shit too and I will skip it.

Either go to Windows 9 if it brings something different and indeed beautiful, or Google OS, whatever they launch by then...

Until then, Windows 7 is the best ;)

Back