CES 2014: JANUARY 7-10, 2014

Shortbread

Island Hopper
Legend
Figured I start a thread... http://www.cesweb.org/home

Some general info...

President and CEO of Sony Corporation (“Sony”) Kazuo (“Kaz”) Hirai will deliver the opening morning Tech Titans keynote address at the 2014 International CES, bringing his unique perspective and insights about the latest innovations occurring at the intersection of content and hardware.

Sony Electronics Inc.
View Booth on Floor Plan:
LVCC, Central Hall - 14200, 14213
LVCC, North Hall Mtg Rms - N108

Sony Electronics Inc.
View Booth on Floor Plan:
Venetian Tower - Suite 30-105

I must be blind, but I couldn't find anything (booth/floor plan or speakers) dealing with Microsoft. :???:

CES 2014: Show floor speculation

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/ph...expect-from-the-show-1193036/2#articleContent

"Microsoft is back at CES!" or so was the flavor of many headlines in early October. Turns out the company isn't making the spectacular CES splash it was made out to be, as it quickly downplayed its plans for the 2014 show to The Verge.

That's not to say Microsoft won't be out in force in LV, as the company confirmed it will have "a substantial set of rooms for meetings with our partners." It's in these rooms we expect OEMs and press alike to learn more about the adoption of Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.1 RT, sales of Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2, what's the score with Nokia, how the Xbox One release is playing out and much more.

Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai is slated to deliver a keynote address as part of the Tech Titans keynote series, "where CEOs from the most powerful companies in technology present their vision for revolutions in products, services and networks."

Sony will be coming off a holiday season high where it saw the release of the PS4, and with a few high-powered phones rumored for release before long, look for Hirai to drop sales figures and talk about Sony's role in pushing hardware innovation forward.

More to that point, the company is reportedly working on a virtual reality headset modeled in the vein of the Oculus Rift. According to Eurogamer, Sony's targeting a 2014 release for its VR dream.

A keynote where he's supposed to talk about his "vision for revolutions in products, services and networks?" Sounds like CES 2014 is a plausible place for next-gen PS4 accessory to rear its head.

Edit: I bet $20 that Kazuo announces PS4 worldwide sales during his keynote address. :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bah, no mention of Sony releasing successors to their VG900 and FS100 video cameras, that's what I'm mostly interested in :(

Edit: I bet $20 that Kazuo announces PS4 worldwide sales during his keynote address. :LOL:
Low-odds bet you're making there (as sony's bound to brag about how well the system is selling, of course), but just in case you lose - who exactly gets to collect...? :D

Low-odds bet you're making there (as sony's bound to brag about how well the system is selling, of course), but just in case you lose - who exactly gets to collect...? :D

Anything higher requires the Mrs. permission. lol :LOL:

I am expecting some nice things unveiled from Kaz and Oculus. With little luck, they will both unveil plans for sales of their consumer VR products, and with little more luck, Sony VR will be compatible with PC.

Bah, no mention of Sony releasing successors to their VG900 and FS100 video cameras, that's what I'm mostly interested in :(

Isn't that more likely to show up at NAB in April.. lets hook up in Las Vegas, bring some models i will bring my Camera! :)

Sorry if I ask but why is this thread in the console forum?
Are Sony and MS presenting new console games at CES?

Perhaps in anticipation of this announcement:

CES 2014 said:
Gaming Technology Plays Big Role at 2014 CES

Intel, Logitech, Nokia, Nvidia, Sonic Games, Sony and More to Showcase Disruptive Gaming Innovations at 2014 CES

Arlington, VA – 06/10/2013 – The 2014 International CES ® will unveil the latest innovations in gaming-related hardware and software in a centralized location. More than 40 exhibitors will display their hottest gaming technologies in the 2014 CES Gaming Showcase TechZone, the prime destination where gaming meets business. Owned and produced by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) ®, the 2014 CES, the world’s leading innovation event, is scheduled January 7-10, in Las Vegas.

Because of the high probability of Sony announcing a few games, along with VR-Gaming technology. Also, MS (maybe), Nvidia, AMD, Oculus, Valve (Steam Boxes) and so on, will be talking about the future of gaming. That's why...

Nvidia, AMD, Oculus, Valve (Steam Boxes) and so on, will be talking about the future of gaming. That's why...

Those are reasons for the thread to be posted in the PC forum. Not that I care where it is. Just pointing that out.

On Sony and VR, I don't see it being a massive deal as it'll require users to purchase a separate, expensive peripheral which then severely limits the user base that devs can develop VR games for. This is different to OR on the PC where most existing games should transfer straight to it through driver based stereoscopic support - provided you have the hardware to push the required double framerates in those games.

Isn't that more likely to show up at NAB in April.. lets hook up in Las Vegas, bring some models i will bring my Camera! :)

Yeah probably but it's been a while since they refreshed their prosumer line so I was hoping for a sneak peek at ces :(

Yeah probably but it's been a while since they refreshed their prosumer line so I was hoping for a sneak peek at ces :(

Why aren't you looking at DSLR style cameras, should be plenty to be seen at CES and you could get rid of the video look?

The camera doesn't cause the 'video look', but that's not a console discussion. Maybe take it up in PM?

Sorry for the quick OT tag-on... maybe he's referring to a point and shoot look when saying "video"? I'm no pro photographer, but it seems a small aperture with resultant large depth of field on typical point and shoot cameras gives most photos that look to my eye. I have no idea what the largest aperture/smallest f stop is on the cameras mentioned.

Why aren't you looking at DSLR style cameras, should be plenty to be seen at CES and you could get rid of the video look?

Just a quick reply since it isn't console related, but the short answer is dslr's suck for many reasons compared to real video camera's like my full frame vg900, etc. Dslr's are horribly overrated when it comes to shooting video in my ever humble opinion.

I am expecting some nice things unveiled from Kaz and Oculus. With little luck, they will both unveil plans for sales of their consumer VR products, and with little more luck, Sony VR will be compatible with PC.

I hope to hear some Gaikai news first.

They can showcase VR and Move Next but it will probably appeal to core gamers (and perhaps movie enthusiasts) initially. More suitable for E3.

If they want, they can also tell us what else can be hooked up to that AUX port. iOS and Android integration would be impactful too.

Back