Status
Not open for further replies.
WiiU ~90k
3DS ~140k

3DS Smash 750k
Hyrule 190k

edit - ah shame, bundled Destiny games with PS4 were not counted:

1413494016360eknl.jpg

What I found so interesting about this is just how well X360 continues to move software.

Otherwise it's pretty much as expected with PS4 usually ahead. Except with Destiny (as a result of bundles) and Madden (XBO really low as a result of bundles as well).

Regards,
SB

Madden sold more on PS4 last month, even if you included the XB1 bundle sales (which was basically free).

360 also does have the largest install base in the US (by quite a bit if you exclude the Wii) so it will continue to sell a lot of software, as long as game makers continue to support it.

Xbox One is in! Via Aquamarine.

Xbox One sold 284K.

That's...pretty bad. At least in lieu of the PS4 number.

I guess the white PS4 did indeed count for a lot.

We also have:

PS4 ~550k
3DS~90k
Vita ~20k

It is better than 360 September 06 (260k) though.

But damn, MS has to be wondering how to make any headway.

Good job cheaping out on the GPU guys...

Still, not a bad number in recent Xbox One times, it just looks bad next to that PS4 number.

Weekly, about 57k in September vs 40k in August.

But, with a free 59.99 game for a week, they had to hope for better.

OT Edit: I have a feeling Aqua slightly lies about these numbers to keep NPD off her trail, because when we got those exact NPD leaks from that site for those months, I noticed my GAF figures were typically slightly off.

So if she said 284k, it's probably really 287k or 282k or some variation like that, I bet. Anyways...

Xbox One is in! Via Aquamarine. Xbox One sold 284K

Pretty much in line with the XB1 data that I received... just couldn't get the additional PS4 data from my peeps in time... maybe next time.

Judging by his latest Twitter post, he is backtracking on his predictions. Because he doesn't have any inside knowledge... you don't backtrack when you're right.

My predictions...
PS4 457k
XB1 285k
WiiU 67k

Solid hardware for both then. I'm adjusting my view of 284k quickly, my initial thought was poor but now more positive. Probably because *I* expected more.

So core gaming may not be dead yet...

Well shit. 500k+ is fantastic for the PS4 and Sony. Great job marketing the Destiny/white PS4 bundle. Also nice to see such a great increase in subs to PSN. That should bring in additional revenue to help makes the games division profitable. I wonder if October sales will take a sizable dip from so many people purchasing the console in September or if they can continue the strong sales stride. Either way selling 200k+ more than your competitor in a month is a phenomenal feat this early on in the console race and may be a taste of things to come and clearly shows the momentum the platform has.

I guess we should look at the PS4 platform leading sales in AC Unity since the XB1 bundles won't be counted.

280 - 290k is pretty darn good for XB1. It is in the realm of my 250 - 300k guess and on the high side of it at that. It seems like there free game promotion has worked well for them. If they offer more deals like that throughout the holiday season then they should be able to grab a lot of the value purchasers. I still think a price cut is their best option of selling more systems to go along with the exclusive content they have this holiday season. Anyway a decent spike in sales is nothing to scoff at and shows the Xbox brand and market is still thriving, at least in the US. They might even be able to take October if PS4 sales die down greatly because so many purchased in September.

The whole market dynamic with the PS4 I find very interesting. Worldwide it has made mince meat our of the XB1 in markets where both are available and has, or nearly has, a million unit lead in the US. I assume going by market trends that the gap in sales will likely increase in the worldwide market this holiday season. What I'm curious is if the gap will decrease or increase overall in the states this holiday season. If it decreases or is sustained then MS still has a fighting chance. If the gap increases then looks like the market will converge on the PS4.

It was a sale that included ANY game of your choice, not just Destiny. And yes, it only lasted a week.

http://news.xbox.com/2014/09/xbox-september-promotion

Tommy McClain
I know, but my post was in regards to Destiny sales.

Destiny being the big software title for the month, (and with the Xbox install base generally favoring shooters) I bet a large majority chose Destiny. Not to mention there's probably a bit of a connection between Xbox fans and Bungie.

My point was that MS' free game promo, paired with the fact that PS4 bundles didn't count towards software sales, are the reasons why Destiny sold more on XB1, and why it's not surprising.

I guess we should look at the PS4 platform leading sales in AC Unity since the XB1 bundles won't be counted.
I think AC U would have sold better on PS4 regardless.
I think the only title that has a likely shot of selling more on XB1 is CoD AW.

I think AC U would have sold better on PS4 regardless.
I think the only title that has a likely shot of selling more on XB1 is CoD AW.

As of today, Sony is leading in October sales by a nice margin... primarily (still) with the Destiny bundle. As for November, COD:AW preorders are quite low, especially when compared to Ghost around this time. The XB1 COD:AW bundle preorders are low as well... the $499 sticker price isn't being well received. The leading software preorder for November "so far" is GTA V.

vicissitudes

PS4 - 538k
Wii - 501k
PS2 - 344k
XBone - 284k
X360 - 259k
Xbox - 173k
Gamecube - 167k
PS3 - 119k
Wii U - 95k

Viewed in that pantheon, which it seems like first September is a reasonable predictor of lifetime consoles sales (USA), X1 is looking pretty strong. While PS4 is looking epic (granted Wii was probably constrained).

Most encouraging is that we saw the return of historically record strong X1/PS4 hardware sales with September, after several lackluster months. So, as I say, my theory that the slow months were perhaps shifted, (back into holiday 2013), not evaporated, demand is proving out.

Updating my monthly tracking charts

Nov 2005 326k
Dec 281k
Jan 249k
Feb 161k
March 192k
April 295k
May 221k
June 277k
July 206k
August 205k
September 260k

Total after 11 months: 2673k

X1 (gen over gen)
Nov 13 909k (+583)
Dec 13 908k (+627)
Jan 14 141k (-108)
Feb 14 258k (+97)
March 14 311k (+119)
April 14 115k (-180)
May 14 76k (-145)
June 14 197k (-80)
July 14 131k (-75)
August 14 160k (-44)
September 14 284k (+24k)

Total after 11 months: 3490k

Difference after 11 months: XB1+818k

Lifetime

PS4 ~ 4488k
XB1 ~ 3490k
WIU ~ 2689k+September (unknown currently?)

XB1 sales as a percent of PS4 by NPD month

Nov 13 80%
Dec 13 105%
Jan 14 52%
Feb 14 96%
Mar 14 84%
Apr 14 58%
May 14 39%
Jun 14 73%
Jul 14 70%
August 14 84%
September 14 53%

Average percentage (monthly percentages added up and divided by 11): 72%

Total life to date NPD Xbox unit sales as a percent of PS4: 78%

As of today, Sony is leading in October sales by a nice margin... primarily (still) with the Destiny bundle. As for November, COD:AW preorders are quite low, especially when compared to Ghost around this time. The XB1 COD:AW bundle preorders are low as well... the $499 sticker price isn't being well received. The leading software preorder for November "so far" is GTA V.

CoD is on a downward trend (I guess people are finally sick of the formula?) but I think it will sell well enough for the near future.. But I dont know if even the 3 team (2 year dev time) will keep the ship floating for much longer. Still, I believe Activision knows the gravy train wouldn't last forever so Destiny and perhaps other unannounced FPSs will be thrown at the wall to see what becomes the annual cash cow for them.

Viewed in that pantheon, which it seems like first September is a reasonable predictor of lifetime consoles sales (USA), X1 is looking pretty strong. While PS4 is looking epic (granted Wii was probably constrained).

Most encouraging is that we saw the return of historically record strong X1/PS4 hardware sales with September, after several lackluster months. So, as I say, my theory that the slow months were perhaps shifted, (back into holiday 2013), not evaporated, demand is proving out.

Yeah X1 will be fine in the US, even though the brand took a hit it still carries a lot of value in the here. Its everywhere else thats the problem.

Still seems like consoles (even the WiiU) are still in demand and I think it can only get better once 2nd/3rd gen software arrive. Take that cellphones ;)

Racing games on the struggle. Shame, Forza Horizon 2 is damn good game.

Yeah, racing games don't do as well in the States and since Xbox does so poorly in EU where they do sell I think the Horizon series might get the axe.

shows you racing games (FH2, drive car) are a dying breed GT is on the downward slope (they need to get GT7 out in 2015 not 16) just like fighting or guitar games before them. Funny they get talked about here a bit but in the real world they're a fart in the wind. a zusses zephyr.
Im surprised with the high ps4 numbers, just goes to show marketing is king WRT destiny, xbone should pull it back nov dec but after that (when MS doesnt spend the cash on marketting) its one way traffic. where does that leave us? console are dead 2016!

Amazing boost for PS4 I dont think any first party exclusive could of done better than Destiny has for PS4. Sony really hit it out of the park going with Watchdogs and Destiny, There first party wasnt really ready yet this year but I expect them to really start delivering from 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back