All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point is simply that amazon might skew slightly to a different buyer than the one who shops at Bestbuy or Walmart. Amazon buyers all have a bank card or credit card, whereas Bestbuy and Walmart likely have some paying cash.

Even if NPD captures all the data we don't have access to it, we get snippets which are extremely helpful but we also like to reference info from places like Amazon even if that data tends to skew things one way or another.
You also have to read Amazon's data correctly. We know Xbox One probably has more SKUs available, you could easily imagine a scenario where console x is positioned at both 8 and 9 and has greater combined sales than console y at position 1.

I actually looked into the PSP sales in 2012 since it was mentioned earlier that it was positioned high on Amazon. Turns out that PSP was actually outselling the PSV 2:1 during that year/months. Which further validates the use of that company's sales.

So I absolutely stick by the statement that Amazon can show sales trends in their charts. If only we had the numbers behind those positions/products.

Do people in the US pay for consoles using cash at Walmart? I can only comment that in the UK predominantly people will use cards for purchases of this size.

(you'll have to excuse my writing I'm doing this while walking)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not really sure what you mean when you say Xbox One sales have spiked. No hardware SKU is doing particularly better.

Right now for hardware in the top 100 there is White Destiny PS4 #5, regular PS4 #7. Xbox One Kinectless #44, Titanfall Xbox One #56.

You've answered your own question. I can see a clear spike

Even though in reality PS4 is the best selling system on the market, in every market, I can illustrate how amazon is not reliable in any way.

For example, let's pretend that the Xbox One is a better system, selling more units:
units in shops monthly: 500.000. monthly new xbox consumers: 400.000.
So it's selling 400.000 a month, and there are always 100.000 units on the shelves. So you can walk in any random store and buy one. No need to go on amazon.

Now let's pretend the PS4 has... let's call it "slight hardware disadvantages", as wel as no AAA first party studios winning game of the year awards constantly.
units in shops monthly: 100.000 monthly new PS4 consumers: 90.000
So selling 90.000 a month, this only leaves 10.000 units on the shelves for an entire continent!!! So big chance of walking in a store to get that weaker system, but... it's not there!? Well, best check amazon then!

Then imagine we have fans/fanboys of the system, looking at amazon.com almost hourly, looking at the PS4 number, secretly wishing for it to go up. And then it goes up! It's not at 78 anymore! It's at 52!!! If this goes on like this then PS4 could be the number one system in a few hours!!!!

While in reality, the PS4 is getting completely destroyed by the Xbox One, which is sitting at #327.

In conclusion: this is why you can't trust amazon data. We all know the PS4 is the better selling system, in every single region, that much is true. We also know that the Xbox has been in oversupply for months, channel stuffed millions of units, sold to retailers, without consumers wanting the product, that is true also.
But we can't look at amazon in this case, and say: PS4 is always in the top 10, so this means the amazon date directly correlates to how well a product sels to customers. Because, as illustrated; it could mean the complete opposite!

I can't believe how many words are being wasted on here to discuss a certain point, when all is needed to say is that no one in their right mind would ever use one single source to produce a clear idea of real and current sales figures - be it Amazon or anyone else. Even more so considering Amazon has NO figures apart from a best selling list. And especially considering that we don't even know the size of Amazon business, due to their not publishing sales figures. We do know they represent a small fraction of the entire market.
And I love Amazon!

I would only say that this whole discussion has already been on GAF, and someone there did a 'proper' polling and tracking of data on Amazon already last gen, and that correlated surprisingly well with NPD reports if I remember correctly.

I can illustrate how amazon is not reliable in any way.
let's pretend that the Xbox One is a better system, selling more units:
units in shops monthly: 500.000. monthly new xbox consumers: 400.000.
So it's selling 400.000 a month, and there are always 100.000 units on the shelves. So you can walk in any random store and buy one. No need to go on amazon.

Oh god, you’re right – no need for Amazon. You can go to shops to buy things. Absolutely. I’m surprised they ever make sales.

SlimJim said:
Now let's pretend the PS4 has... let's call it "slight hardware disadvantages", as wel as no AAA first party studios winning game of the year awards constantly.
SlimJim said:
units in shops monthly: 100.000 monthly new PS4 consumers: 90.000
So selling 90.000 a month, this only leaves 10.000 units on the shelves for an entire continent!!! So big chance of walking in a store to get that weaker system, but... it's not there!? Well, best check amazon then!

So limited availability in shops means that Amazon will definitely have stock and that’s the only reason to shop there? Surely, limited availability in shops means that there’s limited availability in Amazon, no? Or are we still assuming that Amazon is in its own sales vacuum?

SlimJim said:
Then imagine we have fans/fanboys of the system, looking at amazon.com almost hourly, looking at the PS4 number, secretly wishing for it to go up. And then it goes up! It's not at 78 anymore! It's at 52!!! If this goes on like this then PS4 could be the number one system in a few hours!!!!
SlimJim said:

To be fair, this is a valid point. We don’t know whether Amazon’s sales are collected hourly/weekly/monthly or completely cumulative for the year. Maybe they state on those chart pages?

SlimJim said:
We all know the PS4 is the better selling system, in every single region, that much is true. We also know that the Xbox has been in oversupply for months, channel stuffed millions of units, sold to retailers, without consumers wanting the product, that is true also.
SlimJim said:
But we can't look at amazon in this case, and say: PS4 is always in the top 10, so this means the amazon date directly correlates to how well a product sels to customers. Because, as illustrated; it could mean the complete opposite!

You’re stating that the PS4 is selling better in every region, the Amazon data reflects this perfectly and you’re using this information to demonstrate why that data are irrelevant? I’m sorry, but I’m really struggling to follow this logic. Maybe you can better clarify?

You can't always connect 2 things that seem to correlate.

Was there not a month where the Xbox1 outsold the PS4?
Because, in that month, on amazon never was the Xbox1 above the PS4.
Case in point.

I don't really want to argue the point further. I'd only like to say that this thread relates to sales on systems and Amazon's sales are relevant to the discussion at least until we receive official sales data.

Case in point.

Sure there is a chance that Amazon may not be representative. But there are more chances that it follows a similar trend as the retail shops.

If there is one console more likely to be stock starving because of healthy demand in both online shops and actual stores is the PS4. So yeah Amazon is one of the destinations that people will look for in order to get a console if they dont find it in stores but its not like MS is oversupplying stores with XB1s and Sony is undersupplying stores.

Actually Amazon should have had XB1 sales shooting over the roof since there are countries that didnt see an XB1 yet or have seen them in small quantities and therefore consumers from all over the world would have been looking for Amazon to import one.

I don't really want to argue the point further. I'd only like to say that this thread relates to sales on systems and Amazon's sales are relevant to the discussion at least until we receive official sales data.

NPD data claimed Xbox One victory in december 2013, Amazon data did not.

There you have your 2 most reliable 'sources' contradicting each other.

TBH, I think SlimJim makes a very valid point. Perhaps out of personal experience, I can state, that I used to buy software strictly on Amazon since it was convinient. I personally wouldn't really buy a console through online. I do see market trends in general that suggests that there is a market that prefers to buy in shops (old-fashioned), but if a shop doesn't carry a product (or if they feel they could get it cheaper online), they will check online-stores.

The problem with the logic is that people who get used to buying stuff online, continue to buy online. I basically started out buying generic stuff online and when I realized the benefit and the convinience (while also getting a good, usually better price), I started buying other products online too. In that sense, I think there is a large market that shifted towards online buying - which is why the data between Amazon and NPD in the very end, correleate. It probably evens out in the end.

Case in point.

I may be wrong, but IIRC the only month was December and that was due to being supply constrained - but (again IIRC) Amazon counts sales as sales hence PS4 was always 'ahead'.

The bottom line is that PS4 is no longer supply constrained and your example is only valid during these (very limited) windows.

You can't assume that one population is like the other just because you have no data to suggest otherwise. The proper course of action is to limit assertions to the population where data is provided.
True, but it's not a wild assumption as much as a logical correlation. The US is a free market, so consumers are free to shop anywhere. You'd expect distribution of sales and interests to be uniform across stores appealing to the same demographics. Unless there's reason to speculate Amazon isn't representative of the US as a whole, it should be a litmus test. A few significant demographic populations would have to be excluded from Amazon for it to be substantially skewed.

In 2012 the top selling console for Amazon US was the PS3. Multiple skus, difference in buying habits or a number of other factors could have led to that reality on Amazon. Regardless it doesn't mirror 2012 US NPD sales in terms of order.
The question for me isn't whether Amazon's rankings are 1:1 with retail, but a general barometer. Amazon doesn't give numbers, only ranks, so the difference in that case could have been tiny and due to a few sale options at Amazon. The relevance to sales tracking is that Amazon provides the most frequent sampling of data. Is it data that means something, or should it be completely ignored? I believe the former that it's statistically relevant with a reasonable %age deviation (and crazy noise and range in samples!) from NPD retail results.

Of course nobody references Amazon more than I, they're still fun and informative charts, and the easiest charts to look at.
A major problem with Amazon is how the data is presented. There aren't actual sales figures, only relative measures, and they change at high frequency. As a single store with a single price for items, you'll also get a bigger impact from deals. eg. If a game is notably discounted at Amazon, it'll likely see a bigger uptake than the same game at higher price in other stores. Thus the sampling at Amazon is skewed by Amazon's local pricing and deals.

However, the populace buying at Amazon should be representative of NA unless there's reason to exclude some demographics, which there may well be. We have one suggestion here from Temesgen about kids being unable to buy from Amazon, and they likely represent a notable part of the console market (although maybe less so this early on?). It'd be interesting to see if different income brackets shop differently, and whether Amazon appeals more to lower or upper classes or are truly universal.

Now as to WHY that is, or that you'd have to prove it, I disagree, all we need to do is compare to NPD to see at times there is a discrepancy.
I'd expect a discrepancy. What I'd hope to see, to make Amazon at all worthwhile and not something that should be as ignored as VGChartz, is correlation within a sensible degree of accuracy. eg. Maybe Amazon is 10% out on sales versus NPD, which doesn't show in rankings tables where +/-10% of an item can move it 10 places up or down. If that's the case, Amazon is a good barometer. However, if Amazon is more like 50% versus the rest of NA retail, then Amazon's figures are worthless and shouldn't be posted any more than photographs of the entrails of fish predicting the future.

I can't believe how many words are being wasted on here to discuss a certain point, when all is needed to say is that no one in their right mind would ever use one single source to produce a clear idea of real and current sales figures - be it Amazon or anyone else.
Preach it, Brother!
Even more so considering Amazon has NO figures apart from a best selling list. And especially considering that we don't even know the size of Amazon business, due to their not publishing sales figures. We do know they represent a small fraction of the entire market.
And I love Amazon!

Arwin said:
I would only say that this whole discussion has already been on GAF, and someone there did a 'proper' polling and tracking of data on Amazon already last gen, and that correlated surprisingly well with NPD reports if I remember correctly.
That'd be a rally valuable link! If a proper investigation determines Amazon's viability as a reference (or not), it'll end this bickering and we can make better use of the most available stats tracking available to us.

Case in point.
You're looking for a 1:1 tracking which isn't going to happen for reasons already described. However, overall trends and movements should hopefully match between Amazon and retailers by and large over a decent sampling period. In your case, the difference in sales between XB1 and PS3 could have been all of 2 thousand units putting the consoles very close. Or PS4 was supply constrained and Amazon had a larger shipment of PS4s, meaning greater availability and sell-through and higher ranking for that item. That doesn't make Amazon completely wrong as long as you're looking at the data in the right way.

So Amazon sales rankings accurately predicted NPD results 5 out of 6 times since launch. Seems like a fairly reliable predictor, to me. Especially when the Amazon rankings were much closer in December, the stock situation was so volatile at the time and the sales gulf was relatively narrow.

With the PS4's sales rank reliably 25-40 places above the Xbox One on Amazon I'd say it is almost certain it is being outsold across the whole market as well.

Yes amazon did.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2013-12/videogames

So amazon is 6/6 and will soon be 7/7.

But I agree that the general market's purchasing habits differ from amazon a bit. The Kinectless XB1 has been doing better at stores like gamestop and bestbuy online, but not walmart or amazon. Judging by online sales, the Titanfall bundle at $450 had more of an impact for MS, and rightfully so... it has better value. I think the PS4 should take June NPD as well, and will continue to outsell XB1 until possibly the release of the Halo collection.

Edit: some more rankings as of this edit:

Amazon.com:
PS4 - 6 (Destiny bundle), 9
XB1 - 46 (Kinectless), 54 (Titanfall bundle)

Gamestop.com:
PS4 - 46
XB1 - 87 (Kinectless)

Bestbuy.com:
PS4 - 1
XB1 - 3 (Kinectless), 12 (Titanfall bundle)

Walmart.com:
PS4 - 5
XB1 - 19 (Titanfall bundle)

Interesting note: XB1 was temporarily ranked higher than the PS4 at bestbuy.com and gamestop.com, but the PS4 has since passed it again.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemp...as&iht=n&seeAll=&browsedCategory=abcat0700000
http://www.gamestop.com/browse
http://www.walmart.com/search/brows...4+-+5+Stars&cat_id=2636&fromPageCatId=1040579

We're only missing Target to make up the top 5 retailers NPD tracks. PS4 should take June if the XB1 is already falling behind this early in the month.

That pretty much settles it then.

Heh, hardly.

I wonder if we went back in time and looked at 360 v PS3 months how that would work out? (perhaps I will do just that when I get time) And we haven't even touched on the multiple SKU part of it, which seems to be trotted out as a convenient excuse when needed to explain some anomaly, but in the last few posts suddenly isn't mentioned. For example, how do you parse if one hardware is #5, and the other has two SKU's, one #10 and one #15? Which one is supposed to win that months NPD?

And again nobody can explain that PSP was 2nd best selling hardware SKU of 2012 on Amazon. But nowhere near that anywhere else. From memory the PSP was also quite popular on Amazon in other recent years, not just 2012.

My issue recently is we see PS4 VASTLY ahead at Amazon since launch, and yet we dont see the 3 or 4-1 discrepancy it would seem to indicate in NPD, typically. When one console is ranked 5-10, and the other 30-40, that's a huge difference and suggest to me something selling 3-10X better. The NPD numbers haven't shown that.

June could be interesting test case, I'd think XO would have at least a chance to win June, which would be a hole in the Amazon theory. At least, I expect it will be within 25% of PS4.

Also as I pointed out, Xbox One has sold more software in the USA since launch. Is this represented at Amazon since launch? Going by Amazon it would seem at least 2:1 in favor of PS4. PS4 multiplatforms rank much higher, and there are typically many more PS4 games in the top 100. And this has been the same case for every month since launch.

AND, I'm not arguing against using Amazon as a source either. It's fun, very quickly updated, etc. We just need to understand it's limits.

Also speaking of all this, technically May NPD should be today. However, in the past NPD has delayed results until Monday whenever it falls in a E3 week. I expect they do this again but cant 100% confirm that.

My issue recently is we see PS4 VASTLY ahead at Amazon since launch, and yet we dont see the 3 or 4-1 discrepancy it would seem to indicate in NPD, typically. When one console is ranked 5-10, and the other 30-40, that's a huge difference and suggest to me something selling 3-10X better. The NPD numbers haven't shown that.

...because you are drawing conclusions from the number and stats you yourself seem to keep an eye out and look for signs? As has been pointed out before; the only way to get any fair idea out of the Amazon sales is by looking at the rankings. If a product is sitting on #8 and another #44, it doesn't mean that the latter is selling over 5 times worse. Depending on the sales, it could mean anything - the only true meaning is that the former is selling better on that particular shop. Anything beyond this is just speculation.

For all we know, rank #8 and #44 could be seperated by a ratio of less than 2-1.

Also, going back in time too much isn't going to change what the rankings mean. For one, the popularity of Amazon could be growing (which it most likely is), so it's relevancy is increasing as it more people buy stuff online where as in the past, perhaps there was still a trend to buy in stores where NPD tracks a large portion of its data. Sure, NPD is still a very good indication (and probably the best, most accurate we can get), but lets not forget that even NPD does not track ALL SALES, just as Amazon obviously doesn't either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back