All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
You think it has a chance of outselling CoD on just XB1/X360/PC? It's JUST excluding PS3/PS4... only ~90 million people. I agree with BB... I don't think it has a chance.

When did I say that the PS4's bundle sales count towards the standalone SKU? :???: I was referring to Titanfall with that quote, and giving another reason why people weren't buying the standalone sku.

If you want to continue to believe that revenue is factored into their rankings, then go ahead. Personally, I think that's ridiculous.

If retail shelves were stacked with PS4s, there would be more PS4s available online. Anecdotal evidence is enough for me to believe that at least many parts of the country currently don't have much (if any) PS4s in stock. The fact is, amazon was one of 2-3 retailers that were selling PS4s, and I believe the ONLY one that was selling the standalone unit. So there were a lot of reasons why people were buying PS4s from amazon, whereas there were NO incentives in buying Titanfall from amazon. A lot of people don't want to pre-order games from online retailers, because it usually takes longer to ship the game, so that's a big reason NOT to buy from amazon.

Are you honestly trying to tell me that there is just as much reason to buy Titanfall from Amazon than there is a PS4, considering the supply situation of both items?

Ok lets just make this simple:

Do you think Titanfall XBO (not including the hardware bundle) will sell significantly more copies than PS4 hardware does in March?

If so, then all these other issues are tangential. There's no particular reason Amazon should have a greater share of national PS4 sales than national Titanfall sales. Thus the logical conclusion is Amazon would sell more Titanfall copies than PS4 hardware.

You note "every online retailer" has Titanfall, vs "only 2-3" that had/have PS4. Yet there are many counterarguments to this. Over the month, maybe "every online retailer" (meaning basically the ~10 or so major ones tracked by nowinstock) will have had PS4 stock in. More importantly these are dwarfed in terms of impact by literally thousands of brick and mortar outlets nationwide. Also, I suspect Amazon's share of online sales dwarfs others, so those other online retailers dont matter too much anyway imo.

I'm assuming Titanfall may sell 1 million, and PS4 may sell 300k in March? If that holds up or anything like it, it's obviously a 2 or 3-1 units edge.

The next issue is concentration, somehow were all Amazon's PS4 sales, while presumably lesser overall, so concentrated within a few days it still would beat Titanfall for #1? I disagree, because we know software sales are extremely front loaded. A great amount of Titanfall's sales should occur right around launch, therefore it should be equally or more concentrated as PS4, which if anything might have been falling off after being on sale for 5 days.

Now I will say, if it ends up lets say Titanfall only sells 600k standalone (maybe possible due to the hardware bundles) and PS4 does 400K+ in March, those numbers are close enough you'd have an argument that at any given retailer PS4 might well win. But if it's something like 1m vs 400K, the argument is difficult imo.

And I sense you think I somehow invented the revenue weighing theory just for this argument. No, it just always struck me as odd how say, $500 consoles or iPad's or whatever could be outselling much cheaper items in unit terms. Titanfall is $60, PS4 is $400, in this instance. But you could have PC software on sale for $5. I am not convinced they weight by revenue, but it does seem possible.

Ok lets just make this simple:

Do you think Titanfall XBO (not including the hardware bundle) will sell significantly more copies than PS4 hardware does in March?
Will Titanfall outsell the PS4 at amazon specifically? Maybe. Were at mid-month and they currently sit 1, 2 in sales.
Significantly? Probably not.

If so, then all these other issues are tangential. There's no particular reason Amazon should have a greater share of national PS4 sales than national Titanfall sales. Thus the logical conclusion is Amazon would sell more Titanfall copies than PS4 hardware.
This is ultimately where we disagree. I think amazon represents a smaller percentage of Titanfall sales relative to PS4 in these last few weeks in particular. I have proof that amazon had the majority of hardware units for sale amongst online retailers during the past few weeks, whereas you can't prove B&M supply. Since there are no incentives in purchasing Titanfall from amazon, and you'd have to wait to receive your copy via shipping, I feel that 'other' retailers represent a much larger percentage of Titanfall sales compared to PS4.

You note "every online retailer" has Titanfall, vs "only 2-3" that had/have PS4. Yet there are many counterarguments to this. Over the month, maybe "every online retailer" (meaning basically the ~10 or so major ones tracked by nowinstock) will have had PS4 stock in. More importantly these are dwarfed in terms of impact by literally thousands of brick and mortar outlets nationwide. Also, I suspect Amazon's share of online sales dwarfs others, so those other online retailers dont matter too much anyway imo.
I'm not saying the majority of PS4 sales are from amazon, I'm saying a bigger percentage of PS4 sales will come from amazon compared to Titanfall.

I'm assuming Titanfall may sell 1 million, and PS4 may sell 300k in March? If that holds up or anything like it, it's obviously a 2 or 3-1 units edge.
I think it will be more like 900k (standalone) / 350-450k respectively, depending on how many PS4s Sony ships.

The next issue is concentration, somehow were all Amazon's PS4 sales, while presumably lesser overall, so concentrated within a few days it still would beat Titanfall for #1? I disagree, because we know software sales are extremely front loaded. A great amount of Titanfall's sales should occur right around launch, therefore it should be equally or more concentrated as PS4, which if anything might have been falling off after being on sale for 5 days.
Again, I'm not saying the PS4 will outsell Titanfall at amazon for the month of March. I'm saying for the week the PS4 was in stock. Basically I was arguing against your point that revenue is weighted in their rankings, and I think it's straight unit sales.

And I sense you think I somehow invented the revenue weighing theory just for this argument. No, it just always struck me as odd how say, $500 consoles or iPad's or whatever could be outselling much cheaper items in unit terms. Titanfall is $60, PS4 is $400, in this instance. But you could have PC software on sale for $5. I am not convinced they weight by revenue, but it does seem possible.
Rarely do consoles outsell software. This only happens when demand is high, ie, usually at launches. The PS4 sold over 1M copies in 24hrs in the US and the highest selling software was much less than that (I think it was like ~240k or something like that). The PS4's demand is just still quite high and supply is still quite low. It's almost like another console launch vs a high-profile software release, except in this particular case, the high-profile software release (Titanfall) is available everywhere in pretty much unlimited supply, whereas the hardware launch (PS4) has very limited availability and just happened to be in stock at amazon.

Edit: also on the topic of software being frontloaded, many of Titanfall pre-order sales were probably made even before March.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are we comparing the sales of a $60 software title which has no stock issues to the sales of a $399 piece of hardware that is OoS?

Are you really getting that desperate? That you would try and tilt the argument so far into your favour to declare "victory" on the most stupid of comparisons. Seriously, it's just getting embarrassing now. You constantly make your calculations based on dead of night sales on Amazon and claim that PS4 sales are poor on that basis and now you have moved onto comparing the sales of a software title to those of hardware. It's just getting very, very sad now seeing you defend Microsoft's honour online, methinks it's time to give up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly wont be surprised if the X1 hardware sales only go up to around 250k for the launch of Titanfall. I think Titanfall itself will sell very well, with a very high attach ratio on X1, but I really think the idea that this is a killer app is a false perception. I dont think its a killer app because gamers have been so excited for it, but because Microsoft has been promoting it as a killer app for a long time. Microsoft's marketing department has done a good job of deciding for gamers what the killer app is on X1. I think in the end its going to be a very good online shooter that was simply over hyped. It will probably sell around 5 million copies in its lifetime, but the idea that this is going to push COD and Battlefield to the side and take over the online first person shooter throne is somewhat unrealistic. Microsoft wants this to be as big as Halo has been for them, but I think they are in for some serious disappointment.

Well, in my long history of following video games business and strategy, individual software almost never noticeably moves the hardware needle for any length of time. Hell this goes back to the Gamecube, that many forumers expected to be a certain winner over Xbox, it had to happen, as soon as insert big nintendo franchise here releases. Of course it never really happened. So I've never really expected Titanfall too.

I'd expect they do more than 200K in March though. Maybe 300k? Then again I wont say I have a ton of confidence even in that.

NPD is today, cant wait! NPD matters again, things are volatile (last gen once PS3 and 360 got settled in to their positions, they really didn't). This sets up to be a really bad NPD for Xbox. March should get livelier obviously, but February was really dead.

The Titanfall bundle is failing to crack TOP 50 thus far for overall 2014 despite being in the TOP10 hourly bestsellers for days.

Looks like Amazon unit sales have very steep decline outside the top 3 and thats why PS4 was hanging there with despite being only available from 3rd party sellers. PS4 back in stock just now

I think Sony wants to have a big March in the US, to battle the release of Titanfall, and for the release of one of their biggest exclusives of the year (Infamous). March is also tax return month where people like to spend money. Now that the launch in Japan and chinese new years have passed, they should have the supply to do so.

The Last of Us winning (deservedly) many Bafta awards has done positive effects on sales:

TLOU is back at 12th place on amazon.co.uk, 39th place on amazon.com, both still in the rise on the charts.

Amazon apparently got another 1k+ supply.

Yes they did. And PS4 was only out of stock for 2-3 days after being in stock 5-6 days so it's almost more a continuation. But of course, will watch with interest.

Titanfall XBO has already fallen to #3. Bomba confirmed.

Well all games do this, but TF probably had a lot of pre-orders. Right now it is the Halo of the XB1. I wonder if the 360 version will get any media coverage or sales.

If it manages to move 1 million units or more in the next couple of months we can consider it the Halo of the XB1. If that doesn't happen then we still don't have a Halo of the XB1. I hope the game manages to sell at least half a million consoles as this is something MS desperately needs at this stage in the game. If PS4 continues to sell as well as it does then I anticipate things are likely to become quite lopsided this generation in favor of Sony.

And I agree with many here. It is absolutely pointless to compare software sales on one platform to hardware sales of a different platform. Titanfall's software sales should be compared to XB1 hardware sales and if it is "system seller" or not.

360 version delayed until 28th. I wonder if its intentional to give a bit more incentive for the XB1 version

Few preliminary NPD hardware estimates

82k Wii U (up 25% YoY based on Nintendo PR, last year=66kX1.25=82k)
258K Xbox One
287k PS4 (based on XBO=90% of PS4, here https://twitter.com/iansherr )

Better than I expected for X1. Really fairly healthy given no Titanfall etc (people were even speculating if Titanfall bundle announcement in late Feb might kill them with returns)

Wii U OK, but didn't Donkey Kong come out this month? If so, I cant credit them too much, as the bump should have been higher.

Few preliminary NPD hardware estimates

82k Wii U (up 25% YoY based on Nintendo PR, last year=66kX1.25=82k)
258K Xbox One
287k PS4 (based on XBO=90% of PS4, here https://twitter.com/iansherr )

Better than I expected for X1. Really fairly healthy given no Titanfall etc (people were even speculating if Titanfall bundle announcement in late Feb might kill them with returns)

Wii U OK, but didn't Donkey Kong come out this month? If so, I cant credit them too much, as the bump should have been higher.
Better than I expected for both XB1 and PS4. I thought it would be ~190k / 171k when I read the XB1 90% of PS4 tweet. They sold 0.7M PS4s in February, 0.37M of that were sales in Japan which only leaves 0.33M. Seemed like supply was very low in February.

I think the Sony is helped MS to get lot of sales in USA with no stock

TBH nobody saw these consoles selling this well when japanese launch was announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back