All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some western games do ok in Japan, I think GTA V has sold like 700k there but rangers is right Japanese sales dont really effect western developers.

Xbox should be at, I dont know, 3.5 million?

One "good" thing for MS though is essentially Japan is a walled off market since they dont consume western software. every PS4 sold in Japan can be almost considered "wasted" in a global "console war" sense. The same as the almost 10 million PS3's in Japan dont mean anything to EA, Ubisoft, Activision. I suppose they mean something to Capcom, Konami, but it only matters if Japanese devs begin to bestow exclusives on Playstation (and even that wouldn't decide the battle or anything as Japanese developers no longer hold the balance of power). Plus there's low console software sales there.

One interesting thing about those Japan sells is, if you put all the Sony platforms together now with added PS4 firepower, they might start to overwhelm the Nintendo ones. Wii U selling like crap and 3DS on the wane. PSV is growing though hardly a powerhouse, and PS4 should be healthy plus PS3 should stick around. Just yet another thing to concern Nintendo.

PS4+PS3+Vita might overwhelm 3DS+Wii U soon to give the Sony ecosystem the edge.

I can't see how having Japan walled off is anything "good". No consumption there for your console pretty much means no Japanese games period for your console.

Saying Japanese developers don't matter is plain and simply ignorant.

Couldn't you get all those devs games on 360 last gen? Notable early exception of MGS4.

PS4 at ~6 million means it has at least tied, realistically surpassed Wii U. In 3.5 months...

There are plenty of awesome games that garnered attention overseas that didn't even hint at the 360.
There were some early in the 360 life cycle, but later on, no.

I can't see how having Japan walled off is anything "good". No consumption there for your console pretty much means no Japanese games period for your console.

Saying Japanese developers don't matter is plain and simply ignorant.

There are plenty of awesome games that garnered attention overseas that didn't even hint at the 360.
There were some early in the 360 life cycle, but later on, no.

The push MS made into Japanese RPGs with games like Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Last Exile, Infinite Undiscovery , Last Remnant and Tales Of Vesperia was good; ultimately I don't think yielded a great economic return but it was nice to see them invest in the genre and I bought every one of those titles and enjoyed the games. I'd like to MS do more of that.

GTA V sold 32 million worldwide though. So less than 1/32 sales was in Japan. Actually about 1/46th.

If it was the top selling console game of the year at 700K that doesn't say anything good about the health of the Japan console market.

I did notice it sold a lot in Japan though, I guess they dont have quite as much aversion to that series as they do most western games for some reason.

Seems like the demand for the PS4 isn't slowing yet. GameStop have an unofficial Infamous bundle on pre-order (at full price) and that is number one on their list. The titan fall bundle is languishing at twelfth place. Even a free copy of the most hyped game of 2014 isn't enough to dent Sony's momentum.

A list of the top selling next gen software of 2014 so far at Amazon.com and their ranking on the top 100 (be aware Amazon is just a small sample and likely not representative)

#18 Titanfall (XBO)
#30 Tomb Raider (PS4)
#41 Fifa 14 (PS4)
#42 COD Ghosts (PS4)
#45 BF4 (PS4)
#48 MGS: Ground Zeroes (PS4)
#50 AC IV Black Flag (PS4)
#51 KZ Shadowfall (PS4)
#58 Thief (PS4)
#59 COD Ghosts (XBO)
#65 NFS Rival (PS4)
#76 Infamous SS (PS4)
#81 NBA 2K14 (PS4)
#91 Madden 25 (PS4)

Welp. I have to say I think this shows Amazon is Sony land as while Sony is no doubt selling more software in the USA, I doubt it's nearly as large an edge as that chart indicates...

Things of note, obviously only two XB games in the top 100 vs 12 PS4. Titanfall leading all next gen software, and Infamous not doing particularly well (it comes out only 10 days after Titanfall, so a farther release isn't a total excuse). BTW I checked (since it wasn't a factor of 7 days away from Titanfall) and March 21 for Infamous is an odd Friday release.

Seems like the demand for the PS4 isn't slowing yet. GameStop have an unofficial Infamous bundle on pre-order (at full price) and that is number one on their list. The titan fall bundle is languishing at twelfth place. Even a free copy of the most hyped game of 2014 isn't enough to dent Sony's momentum.

That's weird because I usually notice the PS4 bundles stay in stock MUCH longer than the base price PS4's and it always struck me as odd because, the bundles dont charge a premium and usually come with one game or a controller so I wonder why people are so averse to spending $460 (with $60 extra value as well) on a product that flies off the shelves at $400. I mean the game you probably want anyway (lets say it's BF4 or usually there are several choices), you will probably end up getting an extra controller anyway, etc.

Anyways USA shipments of PS4 seems to have gone bone dry for what, two plus weeks now? Such that even bundles are long gone. Maybe they sucked them all up for Japan. February NPD's will be interesting. At least for the PS4 number and how low/high it is. It wouldn't surprise me if Xbox falls as low as 100K. Then again, February has had surprisingly high hardware bumps in the past which I always attributed to tax returns, but who knows.

That Gamestop Infamous bundle is the only PS4 I've seen in stock on nowinstock in a long long time. Oh well people buying it (unless they want all it comes with) are suckers. If I was looking for a PS4 at 399 (not knowing any given brick and mortar situation) I would wait until Amazon or Best Buy got them as, as both places had PS4 stock for days and days in a couple weeks ago. But then again I guess if you got a tax return and want a PS4 now, there's your option. Maybe a smart play by Gamestop given the current utter Ps4 drought and tax return season.

It is funny that nowinstock still has an XO tracker. Haven't needed that since the beginning of January at the latest.

Unless MS payed ~$50mil for it, EA/Respawn screwed up bigtime; It should have been multiplatform if they want it to be as big as CoD.
Acti/Bungie have done a much better job for Destiny.

It would appear the new console generation is one of, if not the, most boring set of consoles ever. Current discussion trends in the console forum are: whether people should or should not complain about price drops; economic standing of the US versus EU and ways to measure; Japanese cultural prejudices and post-War history - compare and contrast the Allies' and Axis' responses to perceived threats and their treatments of political prisoners.

Getting silly. Moved thread here.

It would appear the new console generation is one of, if not the, most boring set of consoles ever. Current discussion trends in the console forum are: whether people should or should not complain about price drops; economic standing of the US versus EU and ways to measure; Japanese cultural prejudices and post-War history - compare and contrast the Allies' and Axis' responses to perceived threats and their treatments of political prisoners.

Getting silly. Moved thread here.
Well....there isnt much to talk about. New game announcements are slow. Impressive games are few. A significant amount of games are cross platform with older conoles.
The new gen looks like a 1.5 upgrade from last gen.

I saw today NFS on the PS4 for the first time. I thought it was the PS3 version until I saw the console. And its 30fps for such a mediocre looking title. So many unimpressive games. They are good looking but nothing new.

Gameplay has not advanced either. Infamous 2 looks great but the gameplay looks identical to its predecessor. Not even the animation has changed much.

The upgrade isnt as noticeable as it was from PS2/XB1 to PS360 so far. Games havent become more immersing.

We are still waiting to see more what the technology is capable of

Update on PS4 JP info(from 1 chain);

PS4 standard model is sold out at 18/20 Yodobashi stores.
PS4 Camera bundle is sold out at 8/20 Yodobashi stores.

They already got a second shipment and will not receive another until the 2nd of March.

Potentially a 150k+ 2nd week for the PS4, it might even crack the 500k mark if we are lucky.

Well....there isnt much to talk about.
Yep. Most boring consoles ever. Nothing new, nothing exciting people. We really needed VR or something to come with these consoles. I suppose this sales thread will be good until PS4 stops selling out and just becomes a normal console.

I guess the sales of PS4 (and XB1 to a lesser extent) means at least a number of hardcore gamers are optimistic about the future and willing to invest now. Consoles have a good shot at another meaningful generation.

Yep. Most boring consoles ever. Nothing new, nothing exciting people. We really needed VR or something to come with these consoles. I suppose this sales thread will be good until PS4 stops selling out and just becomes a normal console.

I guess the sales of PS4 (and XB1 to a lesser extent) means at least a number of hardcore gamers are optimistic about the future and willing to invest now. Consoles have a good shot at another meaningful generation.
We are optimistic. But we are still waiting for more interesting game announcements and releases. No VR or gimmicks. I thought I made that clear in my post. So far we have pretty much exhausted the discussion for good PS4 numbers until things change significantly

Well, if this trend of not any new substantial games coming out soon continues, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Wii-U kind of crash in demand...

Well, if this trend of not any new substantial games coming out soon continues, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Wii-U kind of crash in demand...

Ehh, there seems to be "stuff to play". Just in recent times Tomb Raider DE, Strider, Plants Vs Zombies, and now Thief. With Titanfall and Infamous slated soon! I mean it's not gangbusters but there is stuff to play constantly trickling in I've noticed. Which is probably most you can hope for in this time of a console cycle (the first spring is notoriously bad, right?). Oh and dont we have Ground Zeroes coming soon? And Castle Wolfenstein and Trials Evolution.

I think it helps a lot that both players are here. I remember 360 having a pretty bad spring 2006 drought, but that was probably because they were going it alone, were not fully established yet at that, and didn't have dual porting force. I dont think anybody much would bring out a game that's not PS4/One/360/PS3 at least right now.

Update on PS4 JP info(from 1 chain);

PS4 standard model is sold out at 18/20 Yodobashi stores.
PS4 Camera bundle is sold out at 8/20 Yodobashi stores.

They already got a second shipment and will not receive another until the 2nd of March.

Potentially a 150k+ 2nd week for the PS4, it might even crack the 500k mark if we are lucky.
I think you are too optimistic.. we will be lucky to see PS4 doing 100k second week. neither i expect Sony sending large shipments to Japan when the battlegrounds are in the west..

I dont know what's been going on with BF4 stats, but it's been ugggly for Xbox One lately (granted it's early AM USA, a strong Playstation time)

QDYzAAi.png

I dont know what's been going on with BF4 stats, but it's been ugggly for Xbox One lately (granted it's early AM USA, a strong Playstation time)

QDYzAAi.png

I wonder of this is an indication of gamer fatigue. The last generation was all about CoD and BF4 and online shooters, especially on the Xbox. Maybe, as it wasn't as well put together, the Sony machines are seeing a resurgence?

It also makes me wonder whether Titanfall is going to have as big an impact as some people expect it to. I'm guessing the TF numbers will be higher on PC than XB1. That is if CoD and BF4 are any indication to it's potential uptake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back