All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
So from articles like this we know that PS4s NPD was somewhere between 680k and 907k (680 is the minimum that the PS4 could have sold in the US and still lead the cumulative sales record if my numbers are correct. I used 909k/908k for the XBox and 1138K/(680-907) for November NPD for PS4. I got those from this thread).

Using the 3 million number, outside the US the PS4 is outselling the XBox ~2:1 (using the 3 mil and 4.2 mil numbers, you get 1183 for XBox and 2155-2382 for the PS4). Inside the US, they are currently more like 1:1, with the PS4 leading cumulative sales but heavily supply constrained and the XBox 360 leading NPD. Allocation wise, MS seems to be allocating roughly 2/3rds of their production to the US (but this is hard to tell - Sony is easy because they are still supply constrained, but MS hasn't been. It is probably more accurate to say that MS has sold roughly 2/3rds of the consoles they have sold in the US). Sony seems to be allocating just under 1/2.

Is that a fair summary of the numbers?

Compilation of creamsugar datas. All life to date's. Not 100% guaranteed to be correct could be a mistake here and there. Also, there appears to be one issue, cream says Forza 5> 500k, while Greenberg said it was 457k? Credit shinra-bansho for the de-acronymizing.

Wii
Just Dance 2014 >800K

Wii U
Lego City Undercover - 242K
Pikmin 3 - 210K
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 93K
Rayman Legends - 88K
Sonic: Lost World - 82K
The Wonderful 101 - 49K
Game & Wario - 36K
Resident Evil: Revelations - 16K

3DS
Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon >1M
Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 910K
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - 472K
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3DS - 386K
Fire Emblem: Awakening - 370K
LEGO City 3DS - 365K
Mario Party: Island Tour - 252k
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 224K
Sonic Lost Worlds 3DS - 97k
Shin Megami Tensei IV - 96K
Project X Zone - 87K
Rune Factory 4 - 47k
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers - 36K
Etrian Odyssey 4 - 36K
Brain Age - 26K

PS3
The Last of Us - 1473K
Call of Duty: Ghosts <800K
God of War: Ascension - 783K
Kingdom Hearts 1.5HD - 438K
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch - 329K
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time - 208K
Beyond: Two Souls - 202K
Gran Turismo 6 <180K
Tales of Xillia - 156K
Resident Evil: Revelations - 53K
Rayman Legends - 30K
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F - 16K

PS4
Call of Duty: Ghosts >800K
Battlefield 4 - between 550K and 600K
Assassin's Creed 4 - between 500K and 550K
NBA 2K14 - between 400K and 450K
Killzone Shadowfall - between 400K and 450K
Madden NFL 25 - between 350K and 400K
Need for Speed - between 250K and 300K
FIFA 14 - between 200K and 250K
Knack - between 150K and 200K
Lego Marvel Superheroes - between

PSV
Killzone: Mercenaries - 102K
Soul Sacrifice - 72K
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time - 67k
Tearaway -50K
Rayman Legends - 20k

Xbox 360
Minecraft - 1862K
Gears of War: Judgement - 764K
Resident Evil: Revelations - 55K
Rayman Legends - 42K

Xbox One
Call of Duty: Ghosts - between 800K and 900K
Battlefield 4 - between 550K and 650K
Dead Rising 3 - 526K
Forze Motorsport 5 - 457K
Ryse - 431K
Madden NFL 25 - between 350K and 400K
Assassin's Creed 4 - between 350K and 400K
NBA 2K14 - between 200K and 350K
FIFA 14 - between 150K and 200K
Need for Speed - between 100K and 150K
Lego Marvel Superheroes - between 100K and 150K
Just Dance 2014 - between 100K and 150K

recap of next gen exclusives not from creamsugar

So for new gen exclusives we have

Dead Rising 3 - 526K
Forza Motorsport 5 - 457K
Killzone - 400-450K
Ryse - 431K
Knack - 150-200K

So from articles like this we know that PS4s NPD was somewhere between 680k and 907k (680 is the minimum that the PS4 could have sold in the US and still lead the cumulative sales record if my numbers are correct. I used 909k/908k for the XBox and 1138K/(680-907) for November NPD for PS4. I got those from this thread).

Using the 3 million number, outside the US the PS4 is outselling the XBox ~2:1 (using the 3 mil and 4.2 mil numbers, you get 1183 for XBox and 2155-2382 for the PS4). Inside the US, they are currently more like 1:1, with the PS4 leading cumulative sales but heavily supply constrained and the XBox 360 leading NPD. Allocation wise, MS seems to be allocating roughly 2/3rds of their production to the US (but this is hard to tell - Sony is easy because they are still supply constrained, but MS hasn't been. It is probably more accurate to say that MS has sold roughly 2/3rds of the consoles they have sold in the US). Sony seems to be allocating just under 1/2.

Is that a fair summary of the numbers?

Looks good, mostly. We don't really know how many they shipped, though, so allocation seems a bit too speculative to me. I believe MS releases their 2Q '14 financials next Thursday, so we should get shipped numbers then.

It depends on who's doing the charting. NPD, at least, does not include bundled software in its software sales charts.

Since Wii Sports wasn't bundled in Japan (so was "legitimately" charted by Japanese tracking firms) and EU software sales tracking is spotty at best, I only remember Wii Play's sales ever being debated.

GfK Chart Track also do not include software as part of a bundle.

From GAF.
So UK chart definitely count bundles. But the FIFA bundles in the UK are probably gone right, they were day one?

Unlikely. There seems to be some confusion by people.

Anything that is part of an official manufacturer bundle and is basically "free" is not included in any sales charts that I am aware of.

Anything that is part of a retailer bundle is.

So, for example...

Software in this bundle is not tracked as a sale because there is no charge for the game. The console would be sold for the same price regardless of whether it included those games or not.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-250G...=UTF8&qid=1389935579&sr=8-5&keywords=xbox+360

While software in the following bundle is tracked as a sale as you are still paying for the game as it increases the base cost of the console. In other words, you would not have paid the same price for the console if it did not include the game. While the whole package may be cheaper than buying each individual part of the bundle separately.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4..._6?ie=UTF8&qid=1389935696&sr=8-6&keywords=ps4

Basically think of it this way. If it is a free pack-in as part of a retail package, it is not tracked. If the packed in items increase the price of the base console, it may be tracked. If it is a retailer pack in, it is definitely tracked.

Regards,
SB

Ok this is likely not a 100% accurate, but very close

[3DS] >1000K
[XB1] 908K
[PS4] 865k
[X360] 643K
[WiiU] 480K - 482K
[PS3] 299K
[PSV] <95K

Edit: There's been another reorg, as Cream specified that PS4 sold 45-50k less than XBO.

Side note, given that Wii number, I have the Wii about 680k ahead of the 360 life to date. Which as always could contain a margin of error (I believe another gaffer who keeps a running total had 360 100k closer).

So depending on how much 360 sales continue to fall off, it could be a good while still before it catches Wii (assuming 360 gains something like 100k/month from here).

I think the XBO price, as well as the widespread pricing of the 4GB model at 149, has given the 360 a nicer tail this month, and probably going forward, than PS3. For PS3, the PS4 seems like a lot better value. Where for Xbox, there's a possibly huge price difference.

Looks like 2M LTD PS4. MS didnt catch much

Yeah, as usual the actual winner is given much more significance than it merits. They essentially sold the same amount in Dec.

BTW for shifty, why the next gen consoles are doing vastly better than Wii U

MZHVoFl.jpg

Even a lot worse for Wii U when you realize third parties see PS4/XBO as essentially one platform for porting purposes, thus effectively making their install bases additive.

"What was Nintendo thinking."

Do NPD include digital sales reported by platform holders in their numbers? I only ask because I bought to titles (BF4, KZSF) on disc and everything else, including full priced titles AC4 and Lego Marvel, was digital. Or do Sony and Microsoft report these separately and we have to wait for those figures?

I'm very interested in disc vs digtal sales on XBO and PS4.

Do NPD include digital sales reported by platform holders in their numbers? I only ask because I bought to titles (BF4, KZSF) on disc and everything else, including full priced titles AC4 and Lego Marvel, was digital. Or do Sony and Microsoft report these separately and we have to wait for those figures?

I'm very interested in disc vs digtal sales on XBO and PS4.

Nope, packaged retail only.

The hints I read on digital are that it's still small, 5-10%, compared to retail, for a retail game, on the consoles anyway.

I'd assume that's changing, though, but not overnight.

Nope, packaged retail only. The hints I read on digital are that it's still small, 5-10%, compared to retail, for a retail game, on the consoles anyway. I'd assume that's changing, though, but not overnight.

Cheers. I would have been all digital but I just did not trust Sony's online delivering 150Gb of games. As it turned out it was fine. Going forward the only games I'll buy at retail (Amazon) will be those I know up front will have little replay value and that I'll want to swap or trade in.

I remember as a kid getting a Gamecube and playing the hell out of it, though only later as I grew up did I see how abysmal it did and I can't help but think the Wii U is in a similar situation. Then again, I did have a TON of PS2 envy (and eventually got one several years later) but that's besides the point. Similar thing happened with the Dreamcast. Man I really picked stinkers as a kid.

Anyway, how much is the general public aware that a console is a dud? Looking at numbers, you can clearly see it, but honestly, since the N64, the only reason to buy a Nintendo console is for Nintendo games. This is the first time that because the console is loosing them money, the Wii U cannot continue in perpetuity as is for Nintendo to re-group 3-4 years down the road. Would they actually fold up shop on a home console and try again in 2016-2017 or is that it for them and just handhelds from here on out?

Nope, packaged retail only.

The hints I read on digital are that it's still small, 5-10%, compared to retail, for a retail game, on the consoles anyway.

I'd assume that's changing, though, but not overnight.

I probably agree with this but I'd also say platforms like Vita are probably much higher digital although the install base being what it is that doesn't account for much currently. PSN does have some incredible bargains though each month and I expect digital to continue to eat into physical sales.

Edit:

Sony's day one digital programs also probably helps across all their platforms

I probably agree with this but I'd also say platforms like Vita are probably much higher digital although the install base being what it is that doesn't account for much currently. PSN does have some incredible bargains though each month and I expect digital to continue to eat into physical sales.

Edit:

Sony's day one digital programs also probably helps across all their platforms

Vita is 60% digital as of June 2013: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/60-percent-of-all-ps-vita-purchases-made-digitally/1100-6409663/

I personally have never bought a physical Vita game despite owning several digital games. I've also not bought any physical Xbox One games despite owning 3 digital games (Ryse, Forza, BF4). Were it not for size and download caps, I'm sure more would go digital and since these systems are going to be here for several years, I expect that percentage to only go up. Only problem is it will be difficult to ascertain those percentages without MS and Sony actually telling us since they are the only ones with the info to know what they are.

A little surprised XOne won the NPD.
I guess that's a distribution choice by Sony. Let's take the Portugal example with 20k consoles and extrapolate to, I dunno, conservatively to 10k average for every extra territory they launched in. At 30 more places than MS, that's 300k PS4s allocated not in the US. Quite possibly a lot more. And given worldwide sales of PS4 are higher than XB1, that's nicely confirmed. Only if PS4 stock is sitting on shelves in US can we determine demand was lower for PS4 than XB1, but given what's being seen, Sony evidently decided to ship less to NA to fight MS directly and more to RotW.

regardless..... 908,000 for a launch December is amazing.

much, much better than many people ever expected for the past year for MS when they were considered to be on their way to being Dreamcasted. :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back