All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sold to retailers, in other words shipped - or sold as in sold to consumers? might end up being the same, although not quite if demand has slowed a bit...?!

Did anyone expect the XB1 sales to come to a grinding halt in 2013? This is good news for gamers, consoles are still selling in the age of smudge games and facebook crap.

I wouldn't say quite a few (no one I can recall). Some of us said sales slowed down in the second half of December, which still could be true.

Anyway, good sales for MS. Definitely higher than I thought (~2.4-2.6M).

Like I have been saying all along, January numbers will be interesting.

I wouldn't say quite a few (no one I can recall). Some of us said sales slowed down in the second half of December, which still could be true.

Anyway, good sales for MS. Definitely higher than I thought (~2.5M).

There were idiots predicting 5:1 sell through...

I haven't seen anyone predict 5:1 since before launch, and even then it was unrealistic. If anyone predicted 5:1 recently, they are delusional indeed.

It will be interesting in January and February, but they've sold better than I thought they would.

I think if I were MS, I would sell a $499 bundle with Titanfall in March. With the hype that game is receiving, I think it would move a lot of units. Then a price drop at E3 to match PS4's price.

Then a price drop at E3 to match PS4's price.

With the next 343i game this year, they might not see a need to do that just yet. Seems premature. I could see them trying to pack more "value" in with a larger hdd for the holidays or simply download codes of year-old titles (if anything). *shrug*

If they're sell well, sure. There's no need to lower price, but I think the price will slowly become a bigger factor as the number of people willing to buy at $499 dwindles.

I'd like for them to aggressive on the price front (I'd like both companies to be) as I think they need to grab market share quickly and get as many people into the new ecosystems as quickly as possible.

There were quite a few on these forums.

The first mentioning of anything that looks like a slowdown in sales was very recent (consoles on shelves!).
But noone knew if it was because Microsoft had more in stock (very likely since they launched in half the countries that Sony did) or because the sales slowed down. I would guess that it's a combination of more units allocated for the US combined with a slowdown.

With the next 343i game this year, they might not see a need to do that just yet. Seems premature. I could see them trying to pack more "value" in with a larger hdd for the holidays or simply download codes of year-old titles (if anything). *shrug*
Depends on the country though. In certain parts of Europe -say Spain for instance, which is the second country in the world after Japan with the largest PS fanbase- where Sony are more popular they could look over the purchasing trends and determine a price drop could be a good idea.

More friends on Xbox Live, nice so many people bought the console. Microsoft said that missing 8 of the initially planned 21 international markets was the worst part of launch.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsof...-planned-markets-was-the-worst-part-of-launch

Those markets are Belgium, Finland, Denmark, The Netherlands, Norway, Switzerland, Sweden and Russia.

Did anyone expect the XB1 sales to come to a grinding halt in 2013? This is good news for gamers, consoles are still selling in the age of smudge games and facebook crap.

This number as well as the PS4 number will be first steps to disproving the "console are dying" theories from so called analysts who used the declining sales from the tail end of a generation as proof.

Depends on the country though. In certain parts of Europe -say Spain for instance, which is the second country in the world after Japan with the largest PS fanbase- where Sony are more popular they could look over the purchasing trends and determine a price drop could be a good idea.

Well, I guess we'll just have to wait for more data before predicting anything meaningful (like the wiiu's first 6 months).

This number as well as the PS4 number will be first steps to disproving the "console are dying" theories from so called analysts who used the declining sales from the tail end of a generation as proof.
These numbers don't do that yet. One need only point to Wii U - 3 million sold just as quickly, and that was it. Not that I believe that'll happen with either current-gen console, but a strong launch isn't proof of anything, and we'll need sustained sales to disprove the naysayers.

Depends on the country though. In certain parts of Europe -say Spain for instance, which is the second country in the world after Japan with the largest PS fanbase-
Where do you get that info? I doubt there are more PS owners in Spain than USA or UK.

These numbers don't do that yet. One need only point to Wii U - 3 million sold just as quickly, and that was it. Not that I believe that'll happen with either current-gen console, but a strong launch isn't proof of anything, and we'll need sustained sales to disprove the naysayers.

Hence the use of "first steps". Its an acknowledgement that the intial holiday figures aren't enough but a step in the right direction.

It will be interesting in January and February, but they've sold better than I thought they would.

I think if I were MS, I would sell a $499 bundle with Titanfall in March. With the hype that game is receiving, I think it would move a lot of units. Then a price drop at E3 to match PS4's price.

We keep getting comments about a price drop but as far as we know from what has been reported that the XB1 is priced at the BOM. How is MS going to cut the cost and if they do cut the cost wouldn't that imply a potential cut in price for PS4 as well? Granted a silicon shrink would allow them to cut cost in a material way but we're a ways a way from that....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back