My Oculus Rift experience

Alucardx23

Regular
This last weekend I got to play for the first time the Playstation 4 and the Xbox One and they were just as I expected and already know, you grab the controller and play a racing game a fighting game or an FPS, etc. of course all of it with higher detailed graphics than before. But yesterday I tried something that made me feel something that I didn’t felt since I put my thumb on the N64 Joystick and I moved Mario on a 3D word, that is when I made the transition from 2D to 3D gaming and my jaw dropped to the floor when I realized all of the possibilities that being able to play in a 3D word would make possible.

That is what the Oculus offers, the next step after 3D gaming, with the Oculus you can feel inside another world just by using it and there is no place you can look that is not inside the world you inhabit, you can appreciate for the first time the real scale and the massive size of things in relation to you, something that is impossible to do when you’re just looking at a 2D screen. It is the type of thing that you need to try to really understand it, just like Mario 64 in its time. After trying the Oculus, I will make this prediction, if Sony, Microsoft or even Nintendo are not working on an equivalent technology right now, they can say goodbye, this will end in a really different way compared to how it started and however takes advantage of this technology will take the lead. Let me know if you have any questions.

oculus-rift-dev-kit-package-contents.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah some of us knew it already. ^_^

IMHO, it's safe to assume MS and Sony are working on something similar.

They probably need to fix a few challenges first.

Sony already announced they are, we'll likely see it in 2014 sooner rather than later.

Does anyone know how well Oculus works for someone with glasses? Their webpage is kind of vague and makes it seem like a non issue?

Does anyone know how well Oculus works for someone with glasses? Their webpage is kind of vague and makes it seem like a non issue?
I would hope it would be accommodating. I mean John Carmack wears glasses and he's their CTO! ;)

Yes, you can wear glasses just fine, the Oculus comes with two different types of lenses so depending on your problem you might even be able to use it without glasses and see fine, at least it was like that for a friend.

no headaches? what's the weight like? does I make your face sweaty? what's the resolution of the images? does it connect to any PC? of is it specialized h/w.

no headaches? what's the weight like? does I make your face sweaty? what's the resolution of the images? does it connect to any PC? of is it specialized h/w.

As long as the PC is powerful enough to run the software.
Headaches are individual experiences, I never had any, but I never had it on for more than 2 hours.

There needs to be some console relevancy to this discussion, otherwise I'll just merge it with the OR thread in the display forum.

Back