Windows 8 fake mouse driver for tablet

swaaye

Entirely Suboptimal
Legend
Supporter
I bought one of these newfangled Dell Venue 8 tablets. I ran into a frustrating issue. Some old apps require a mouse be installed and the touch input doesn't fill their detection requirement. 3DMark2001 and Tiberian Sun won't run for example.

Is there some fake mouse driver out there that I can use to fool programs?

does win8 (tablet version ???)not have a mouse driver already
if you plug a mouse in doesnt it install one ?

The touchscreen apparently isn't a device that DirectInput recognizes. It is a mini-nightmare for my maniacal Windows gaming on tablet idea. Of course a mouse could be connected but that isn't really the point here.

I think I either need a fake mouse driver or a dinput.dll that fakes a mouse being enumerated. I was thinking of force-installing a mouse driver, but I don't think there is a way to do that like with old OSs that supported non-PNP devices.

What about the RF receiver for a mouse, is that sufficient?

Wait.. Man... I thought windows will automatically fallback the touch event to mouse events.

It's like android all over again where before jelly bean (or its, can't remember) I need to make two events of touch, one for mouse and one for touch.

Do you got the pen? Does game think it's a mouse?

How do you like it?

I like it. It's great to have this much flexibility in an 8" tablet. Bay Trail is very fast too. It is reminiscent of an Athlon 64 X2 and perhaps a Geforce 6600. Except it is 2W!

Win 8 doesn't remotely have the tablet software ecosystem of Android though. But I bet this is going to change with the increasing popularity.

If you like Rogue lite games combined with a little bit of Puzzle, LOTS of content and persistent RPG elements, you should give Desktop Dungeons a try. Works a treat with touch as well.

Basically anything that doesn't require a right click should work fine. Gets tricky when you have to right click to do some things.

Regards,
SB

I've tried playing Dragon Age using touch and keyboard. It mostly works, ymmv though. On a number of different actions you need to double touch, once to get the (hidden) mouse cursor to move, then the second time to activate the object. If using a mouse you'd only click once. Actions that need right click are interesting, click and hold does work but feels clumsy.

Successful trials so far:
Defense Grid
Master of Orion 2
Blade Runner
Tiberian Sun (and Red Alert 2 then) - tricky to get working on Win8 though
Shadowrun Returns
Guild Wars - camera control is not ideal but it is manageable.

There's a big thread with people experimenting with gaming on the Venue 8 Pro:
http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/del...nces-thread-not-just-touch-enabled-games.html

Can you tell me steps you took to get RA2 working on your dell venue 8 pro? It just gives me a black screen and the music. Ive loved this game for years, got it working on my windows 8 laptop, but not my v8p tablet, thanks

Back