Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
UC3 was nice, but forgettable with imo noticeable lack of polish, wrt to the story as well as to the graphics (the scenes with young Drake walking around the museum had so hefty aliasing due to the low res transparent sunlight effects that it even looked ugly).

I hope that they substantially improve for UC4, to reestablish the high quality of the series.

I LOVED the parts with young Drake! And the IQ was up there with the best. In 3D it was all a bit rough and pretty much unplayable, but 2D was great..

I LOVED the parts with young Drake! And the IQ was up there with the best. In 3D it was all a bit rough and pretty much unplayable, but 2D was great..

The AA solution in UC3 didn't always produce the best results though, especially when compared to UC2's MSAA. In that respect, UC2 sometimes looked better, especially in motion. I remember the forest in france in UC3 being particularly pixel-crawly. But UC3 has some of my favorite sections, like the shootout in the harbor with the waves moving everything up and down, really impressive and dynamic. The sense of movement in the Cruiser at see was also amazing. The individual set-pieces in UC3 were great in general and a lot of fun to (re)play, but as a tight package taken all together, Uncharted 2 was probably more memorable (better story, better characters, heck little can beat a well done love triangle ;) ).

That was a very rare thing in Uncharted series, and as far as I remember it was quite short and cutscene dominated the majority of that portion.
I believe part of the lore is that Nate is part camel and stores water in his majestic hair, at least that's what I've heard...
In UC3, a rather significant part of the "playable" portion of the game involved simply making Drake walk to things.

Obviously some people really love that sort of thing.

btw my friend made an uncharted 4 analysis, not tecnical analysis.
https://translate.google.com/transl...-trailer-uncharted-4-a-thief-s-end&edit-text=

basically he said that drake is married, old, and the story will touch something about bible's chapter

Thanks for the link. I didn't realise he got married (ring !) likely to Elena. So he's apparently not a happy camper, because he wants to get back into the "game". But why ? Money ? Divorce ? Kidnapping ?

It's a bit too much for me to accept Elena and Nate got kids, like the guy suggests.

In UC3, a rather significant part of the "playable" portion of the game involved simply making Drake walk to things.

A major part of SOTC involved just trekking to the next boss too, same for ICO too. what matters is if its engaging or not. For me the desert part was special and conveyed its message well.

I can understand it being boring the second time, but it worked in the first playthrough, for me.

Except trecking to the bosses in SotC involved all sorts of environmental "puzzles". Everyone claiming that all you do is ride from one colossus to the next in that game might wanna replay the thing because it simply isn't the case. Comparing traversal in SotC to your average walking simulator of the day is like comparing the colossus battles in that game to the ones in Lords of Shadow. In SotC all the fights are governed by the standard game mechanics. Their outcome is entirely decided by your puzzle solving skills and dexterity. In Lords of Shadow it's all trial-and-error brought to you via tired QTEs.

AAA really needs to find a way to ramp up the gameplay complexity alongside the spectacle. Right now it's only ever doing the exact opposite.

I don't recall SOTC having "all sorts of puzzles" to get from one big bad to the next. Sure, some of them were slightly trickier to find but mostly it was a lot of horse riding, following the direction the game tells you and a bit of platforming here and there...

I don't recall SOTC having "all sorts of puzzles" to get from one big bad to the next. Sure, some of them were slightly trickier to find but mostly it was a lot of horse riding, following the direction the game tells you and a bit of platforming here and there...

Yup, point the sword up and follow the light ! But it was very memorable, the loneliness of your adventure, with your only friend Agro.....and I still remember the eagle that swooped down and flew with me while I galloped at full speed across the terrain ! It was so special !

I am sure it must have been very boring the second time, but it was what made the world so special. If it conveys the feeling which it is supposed to, which is very difficult to achieve as it requires attention to smallest nuances, then, yes, "Walking" is gameplay !

Horse riding, climbing and following vague directions (and killing lizards) is quite a bit more involved than just walking. Granted, I wouldn't have minded the desert scene in U3 so much if the game actually had a cohesive and worthwhile tale to tell (and if didn't abruptly switch back to mass murder gameplay even though the main character was more or less portrayed as being nearly dead right before the shooting started) As it was it just came across as technical willie waving to me.

It was a stark contrast to the ocean liner level. Now that level had almost no place within the flimsy narrative to begin with, but just like the train in U2, it was used to freshen up the gameplay loop a little. It was more than just a display of technical mastery.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to see an end to "push forward to advance" non-cutscenes, like the one in U3 where you had to make Drake walk through the desert. It took forever and there was nothing actually game-like about it. And because OMG WE GAVE THE USER CONTROL, it's unskippable.

I would also like see an end to the "ancient city with a single structural weak point that causes it to collapse into the Earth when triggered" thing. That's just stupid, and I'm tired of it.

I guess I shouldn't complain. The last three games have all been the same thing, and I don't much care for that thing, but clearly, millions of people love that thing, so I shouldn't expect it to stop being that.

This seems like such an illogical and overblown complaint to me, and I see it often.

Outside of that one scene in Uncharted 3 in the desert, have there even been any others like that in previous Uncharted games? Because I can't remember any.

So crying out for an end to the use of alleged " "push forward to advance" non-cutscenes", when there was only ever one of those in one out of the three Uncharted games they've produced just seems a tad over the top.

Honest question, can you please detail which significant portions of U3 involved merely making the player walk through an area?

I can remember the desert...and... *blank*... I got nothing.

You surely must have played a different game than I did.

While I wouldn't accuse the game of having an overabundance of merely walking about (now that would be a tad hyperbolic), it's certainly filled to the brim with drawn-out trial-and-error set pieces where gameplay is severely gimped for the sake of delivering on spectacle: the entire Drake Junior section; the running around on drugs, the plane crash; the annoying chase sequences that went on forever. Sure, pushing foward and pressing x every once in a while is more interactivity than watching cut-scenes, but barely so (also decidedly more annoying when you mess up). By comparison, U1 and U2 never really forgot where their gameplay strengths lied: namely in popping out from behind cover and shooting dudes.

My hope for U4 would be a sort of mix of the first (the most gamey one by far) and second game. Or like the Tomb Raider reboot.

Nothing like the Tomb Raider reboot for me, not a fan of that game at all.

More like Uncharted 1 and 2 is fine with me.

Aside from the QTE's (which are always dumb) I thought the gameplay in the Tomb Raider reboot was pretty fun. If anything I thought it felt like a more streamlined version of Uncharted 2 gameplay. The story was a bit poor, it felt like the game was just beating the shit out of Lara for 6-7 hours, so I hope U4 can be kinder to Drake. As much as I complain about the Uncharted series' story the games do have a grand sense of fun adventure about them and I'd hate to lose that to the "so dark and edgy xD" mindset writers seem to be in love with these days.

While I wouldn't accuse the game of having an overabundance of merely walking about (now that would be a tad hyperbolic), it's certainly filled to the brim with drawn-out trial-and-error set pieces where gameplay is severely gimped for the sake of delivering on spectacle: the entire Drake Junior section; the running around on drugs, the plane crash; the annoying chase sequences that went on forever. Sure, pushing foward and pressing x every once in a while is more interactivity than watching cut-scenes, but barely so (also decidedly more annoying when you mess up). By comparison, U1 and U2 never really forgot where their gameplay strengths lied: namely in popping out from behind cover and shooting dudes.

My hope for U4 would be a sort of mix of the first (the most gamey one by far) and second game. Or like the Tomb Raider reboot.

Now these are criticisms of U3 that I can appreciate as rooted in reality and fair. Whilst personally I quite enjoyed most of those set piece moments, since i tend to very much enjoy both the variety and narrative exposition delivered through those devices, as a nice change up of the game's pace, I certainly can see why other might not have done so.

I can certainly agree that the pacing and pure gameplay was overall more enjoyable in U1 and 2, since there was more time spent taking on enemies through encounters and less of those spectacle-driven set-pieces. Though since ND did get alotof criticism about the amount of time spend shooting in Uncharted games, I can sort of understand why they tried to go in that direction. I personally would have prefered more Tomb Raider like room-sized puzzles, which ironically is the same principle complaint I would level against the recent Tomb Raider reboot.

It's funny as I'm one that enjoys Uncharted more than Tomb Raider, but after U3 I would like ND to make U4 more like Tomb Raider in terms of puzzles, but also keep the enjoyable TPS mechanics and encounter design of U1, 2 and 3. Whilst for Tomb Raider, I actually want them to move more away from Uncharted and back towards Tomb Raider-like puzzles and platforming (except without the tank controls), plus make the story more engaging (something that has been awful in TR games since TR3).

Rgiht. It's a formula that's proven successful so ND probably shouldn't change it. If stupidly oversized constructions resting on remarkably flimsy foundations is what it take to provide the crazy collapsing run-throughs that were so quintessentially Uncharted, that's what they need to add.

I agree. Within the game universe, Drake has his weaknesses, but they're forgotten in an instant. He would have been in no state to fight and they should have provided a little story to allow him time to recover. I think ND's laying it on thick with the problem-after-problem was overdoing it.

I hope they take the melee and collect & making stuff system from TLoU. It's not necessarily bad to be low on health and have not too much weapons so you have to be smart.

My favorite "end boss" fight is still the psychopath chase in the restaurant in TLoU, where you just had a screwdriver. I died endless times and finally the solution was "easy".

In most UC fights, armed with a machine gun it was not that difficult to kill the bad guys.

IMO, I like Uncharted (over Tomb Raider) exactly for it's linearity. I don't want an open environment that can be explored, but more an adventure that takes me from one location, to the next. UC2 remains my favorite Uncharted game to date, because IMO, the pace of the game was perfect, the shooting quantity was great (not too much, and it didn't feel to much like a progression of sandboxes, like UC1 did) and I also found the overal theme and locations superb. The hights of the Tibet mountains definately was more to my liking than the desert theme of UC3.

UC3 at times felt a bit too much like a blockbuster - where you're basically going from one spectacle to the next. I think UC2 offered just as much (even if technically on a lower level), but did a better job. I.e. I still that train ride is some of the best and most impressive parts in any of the Uncharted games. As is also the first part when you find yourself in a colapsing building (Tibet).

Still, what I liked about UC3 is that they went for even more variety. The running part (at the beginning as young drake) were a change and I think overal the gameplay mechanics were a tad bit better.

I hope UC4 will be somewhere between UC2 and UC3. Good variety, but perhaps less "block-buster" style, but still a linear gameplay experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back