Diablo 3 - Gamepad Edition

I am so divided over buying this or not. I already have it on my ps3, but they won't release the Reaper of Souls expansion separately there :( ! and they are not giving me any kind of discount or incentive on upgrading to the ps4 either. So much love from Blizzard for buying it on Day 1 on the ps3 (edit: pre order actually).
Same here. I have it on PC already, and never got past the 3rd Chapter. But without the DRM and stuff, on my Xbox One it could be a glorious game.

I don't know if it could ever bring me the feelings I had with Diablo 2 though. From the little I played it seems a difficult task, actually.

I'm still considering D3 now though for the local multiplayer. My son is about the right age now for this I think.
It's okay for couch coop. All these games kinda scratch that itch, and they all get bought by us because of that. I think the added clarity of the PS4's visuals would help. On PS3 it was sub-HD blur-o-vision. (BGDA, for the uninitiated, had supersampling because the devs knew clarity was of utmost importance for the small sprites to present a reasonable area of map on screen. High IQ, high framerate, priorities in right places to make it easy to watch and control)

ughj I hope they decide against 1080p on the xbox one , use the extra power to insure the 60fps . The ps4 looks horrible and more noticeable than a lack of resolution

ughj I hope they decide against 1080p on the xbox one , use the extra power to insure the 60fps . The ps4 looks horrible and more noticeable than a lack of resolution
Article vid claims day one 1080p patch is coming to XB1, and we'll have to see if it suffers in the same way. It'd be horrifically ironic if they ruin the 60 fps fluidity with fake 60 fps in order to provide true 1080p.

Article vid claims day one 1080p patch is coming to XB1, and we'll have to see if it suffers in the same way. It'd be horrifically ironic if they ruin the 60 fps fluidity with fake 60 fps in order to provide true 1080p.
Well, forum warriors want the check box items like 1080p. You see it here too when discussing pixel quality versus pixel quantity. Blizzard is just giving these fools what they say they want.

Well, forum warriors want the check box items like 1080p. You see it here too when discussing pixel quality versus pixel quantity. Blizzard is just giving these fools what they say they want.

So if someone has a different opinion about something than you they are forum warriors? It is subjective, some people prefer the native res of their TV, some prefer the rendering budget spent on other effects. Why call names, both are legitimate and honest opinions.

Except those same 'forum warriors' will now complain about 60 fps lies. "This game is 1080p6-" says Blizzard. "Hooray, let's get it!" says forum warriors/consumers. "Oh, it looks a bit crap," says consumers. "It's not actually 60 fps," says DF. "Damn, we've been lied to!! Class action lawsuit aouy!" says consumers/forum warriors.

Oh and, "curious technique with questionable/debatable outcomes," says a few engineering types on B3D. ;)

Although in this case, forum warriors have been informed before buying the game. I wonder if it'll impact sales?

Personally, I really hope they don't trade frame rate for resolution on the Bone. I really want to try homerdog's crazy ass Witch Doctor build, which supposedly has so much crap going on at once it tanks everyone's frame rate.

Personally, I really hope they don't trade frame rate for resolution on the Bone. I really want to try homerdog's crazy ass Witch Doctor build, which supposedly has so much crap going on at once it tanks everyone's frame rate.

you can play this game with no problems on the pc .

you can play this game with no problems on the pc .

It tanks framerates on the PC. This is on my 3570k@4.4ghz with a 7870 OC @ 1680x1050 resolution at maxed settings with shadow smoothing on. As soon as there's some really big fights with all his minions and followers out it starts chugging noticeably. He has a fucking army.

It tanks framerates on the PC. This is on my 3570k@4.4ghz with a 7870 OC @ 1680x1050 resolution at maxed settings with shadow smoothing on. As soon as there's some really big fights with all his minions and followers out it starts chugging noticeably. He has a fucking army.

odd , I haven't had any problems on my fx 8150 @ 4ghz with 16 gigs of ram and a 7950 at 1080p

whats the build. I will try to test it this week and see

Well the gameplay framerate drops also on XB1 just less than on PS4.

DF were just soo happy to find one spot where the gameplay tanks low (44fps) on PS4 that they slowed down the part on the video to make it last 5 times longer. That's tragic, really.

Not really. That kind of slowdown is needed to show what they're talking about. It's one thing to listen to someone babble about simultaneous different framerates, it's quite another to see it in action, and you can't really do that without slowing it down.

Well the gameplay framerate drops also on XB1 just less than on PS4.

DF were just soo happy to find one spot where the gameplay tanks low (44fps) on PS4 that they slowed down the part on the video to make it last 5 times longer. That's tragic, really.
It was necessary to highlight the issue. The video looked 30 fps to me making judder impossible to portray without showing it in action. What looks okay in a gameplay clip on the interwebs will be at times rather jarring in play.

DF got a response from Blizzard and it seems like it was a bug. Its a bit strange that some of the console games are having these weird framerate bugs (frame pacing and the like).

Yeah, article was updated: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-diablo-3-performance-analysis

UPDATE 14/8/14 6:28pm: Yesterday, Blizzard contacted Eurogamer to say that the dual frame-rate issue we uncovered in Diablo 3 was a bug it was looking into patching as soon as possible, and offered to talk us through it one-on-one at Gamescom. Thomas Morgan met up with production director John Hight in Cologne earlier today for a quick chat.

"First off, I want to thank you for going through it, digging through it. As it turns out we do have an interesting bug in the game," Hight explains. "Essentially what's going on is we're updating at 60 frames per second, except on the consoles it's 59.94. Effectively it's like a round-off here - we're updating 59 frames on the first second, and 61 frames on the next [meaning] we're literally double-writing a frame."

So it appears as though elements of the renderer operate at a pure 60fps, while the HDMI standard actually incorporates the legacy NTSC drop-frame standard, running at 59.94fps. The discrepancy is apparent on both versions, but according to Hight differences in the way they handle the rendering account for the more pronounced hit to PS4 performance.

"After we we read your article we went back through, looked at the code, and determined that we made mistake on, essentially, updates. So we're now at full 60 frames. We're now posting an update that will go up before the day one patch, and will be part of the day one patch," Hight continues.

"As soon as we saw your article I sent it over to our core engineering lead, and I'm saying 'hey what's this this about?' Those guys are awesome - they jumped right on it, looked through the code, and were like 'I'll be darned we actually have a problem here with the way we're updating'... So our goal is to have that out day one, so on the 19th. We actually put the Sony [PS4 patch] into format today, and Sony's going to give us a pretty quick turnaround on it. I don't think we're going to have a problem getting it day one."

Back