*split* multiplatform console-world problems + Image Quality Debate

What's funny is that you can probably just set your PS4 to only output at 720p, and then the game would likely run at the same (if not better) framerate than the Xbox One version. :rolleyes:

Oh, Polygon.

I doubt it has anything to do with the resolution, surely the devs could freely change the frame buffer res and profile the game and chose the optimal settings. If 1080P and 720P performed the same, they just kicked the can down the road on the real issue.

They'd probably just downscale?

Possible, but I doubt it, based on past history. Most games tend to reduce the framebuffer based on user-selected resolution, rather than downscale it from higher resolutions, at least in prior generations. Almost all PS3 games, I've played actually ran at 720x480 when I limited the output to 480p.

I doubt it has anything to do with the resolution, surely the devs could freely change the frame buffer res and profile the game and chose the optimal settings. If 1080P and 720P performed the same, they just kicked the can down the road on the real issue.

If there really is any sort of framerate difference between the Xbox One and PS4 versions, then what other factor could it be other than the resolution? Differences in OS overhead?

Possible, but I doubt it, based on past history. Most games tend to reduce the framebuffer based on user-selected resolution, rather than downscale it from higher resolutions, at least in prior generations. Almost all PS3 games, I've played actually ran at 720x480 when I limited the output to 480p.

If there really is any sort of framerate difference between the Xbox One and PS4 versions, then what other factor could it be other than the resolution? Differences in OS overhead?

On PS3 developers were required to support 480p, that is not the case on PS4. I would guess the developer is free to do whatever, and supporting multiple resolutions means you have to test in multiple resolutions, so I'd guess most would target a single resolution.

Frame rate could be a CPU issue, it could be transparencies coupled with the resolution, no easy way to tell.

Driver issue, early OS, streaming, etc. People are reporting the same sort of issues with high end PCs. It sounds like the game is a mess and needs a few patches.

I would recommend not wasting time and money on this. Thats my review. The game is so mediocre and bland. Continue on BO2 or MW3 or whatever ur last MP fix was. Save ur money and forum time for better games. This is the first COD I bought on launch, and it turned out to be the worst :p !

Though it would be completely hilarious if all those reviewers said it looked sharper on PS4 and it ended up being 720p, I've got to guess there is some kind of bug at play, or issue with the output setting on the PS4 for the capture, or the files that we've seen are just labelled wrong. But I'm holding onto a sliver of hope that it's actually 720p just to hear the rationalizing.

On PS3 developers were required to support 480p, that is not the case on PS4. I would guess the developer is free to do whatever, and supporting multiple resolutions means you have to test in multiple resolutions, so I'd guess most would target a single resolution.

Frame rate could be a CPU issue, it could be transparencies coupled with the resolution, no easy way to tell.

Mark Cerny said it's up to the developers. Sony doesn't force them to implement specific resolution or framerate.

So did Mark Rubin straight up lie about PS4 version being native 1080p or is it a bug?

Gah... I doubt he lied. At this point, it's still 1080p (blurred). Will see how the upcoming patch address the framerate issues.

It's starting to seem like there was something really messed up at the review event. You have reviews that say the versions were indistinguishable, others that say the PS4 version was clearly at a higher resolution, and now we have video captures from multiple sites that appear to have the game at a native 720p on both consoles. If this all happened at the same review event I would suspect that some of the PS4s were set up improperly and did not have 1080p enabled as a supported resolution, either due to a bug in the way the HDMI handshake was handled, or human error. If that's the case both parties may be right, some did see indistinguishable games, others saw them at different resolutions, and none of the footage in current comparisons is reliable.

Playing the game on ps3 right now, the framerate isn't stable at all.the city is very busy and framerate drops to unplayable levels many times.
Otherwise , the game looks great even on current gen, surprisingly good actually. Textures are very sharp for a current gen open world game. Character lighting is abysmal , though, but the ps4 review i saw had the same character lighting, so.....not very hopeful.

They say that they have volumetric light effects, reflections, better sea shader,denser foliage, etc on next gen. And of course, higher resolution on the ps4.

I still don't get it. X360 also had the edRam setup and all developers found it easy to program for, why are we seeing such resolution differences,frankly? I mean, aren't all these wngines built around using that edRam/EsRam? I had expected that it would a breeze to program for the XbOne, only caveat will be the weaker Graphics card. But the way every game is showing differences right at the beginning, i am confused. Maybe the OS is a resource hog?

Or maybe its just lack of development time for launch titles to maximize the system.

Or maybe its just lack of development time for launch titles to maximize the system.

Then why are these games running on higher resolutions on the ps4? Just because of better gpu?
Why Are the old engines, madea round esram/edram faltering on the X1 made with the same architecture? There has to be some issue. Either the X1 OS takes up too much of the resources by default, hence widening the power gap even more or ....what?

The PS4 requires less tricks per say than XB1, so you'd likely have to spend more time on xb1 getting acceptable performance. Perhaps the devs went with a PC engine base instead of an XB360 engine base. Perhaps they're using newer algorithms or methods which aren't esram friendly. It shouldn't be the OS since they have it constrained to certain usage percentages (10% or less I believe). Right now we don't have enough details to know for certain. So the best we can do is guess and wait to see what comes out on the system in a years time.

The PS4 requires less tricks per say than XB1, so you'd likely have to spend more time on xb1 getting acceptable performance. Perhaps the devs went with a PC engine base instead of an XB360 engine base. Perhaps they're using newer algorithms or methods which aren't esram friendly. It shouldn't be the OS since they have it constrained to certain usage percentages (10% or less I believe). Right now we don't have enough details to know for certain. So the best we can do is guess and wait to see what comes out on the system in a years time.

hmmm...I understand, the only thing that got me thinking was that COD and AC4 use the same old engines tuned which were performing very well with the es/edRam setup in the X360. Maybe that line of thought doesn't translate the way I am thinking.

Back