*split* multiplatform console-world problems + Image Quality Debate

They all come from the same perpetuating propaganda factory, you guys have been eating it all up until now.
Ravidrath

Lab Zero Games

09-12-2013, 01:06 AM
This is anecdotal from E3, but...

I've heard the architecture with the ESRAM is actually a major hurdle in development because you need to manually fill and flush it.

So unless MS's APIs have improved to the point that this is essentially automatic, the bandwidth and hardware speed are probably irrelevant.

For reference, the story going around E3 went something like this:

"ATVI was doing the CoD: Ghosts port to nextgen. It took three weeks for PS4 and came out at 90 FPS unoptimized, and four months on Xbone and came out at 15 FPS."

First review of CoD Ghost by Polygon:

"The two versions look nearly identical. Viewing the Xbox One release next to the PS4 , I had difficulty telling them apart. It's possible that the PS4 version looked somewhat sharper, but that may have just been my imagination after confirming the hard resolution difference. The next-gen releases of Call of Duty: Ghosts are so close together that gun to my head, I'd have no confidence in being able to discern which version was which — at least, while the two are standing still.

The Xbox One release's framerate was far more noticeable. As mentioned in the initial review, Call of Duty: Ghosts suffers from consistent framerate drops on the PS4, especially during multiplayer when action got especially hectic. The Xbox One version suffered no such drops, maintaining a steady 60 frames per second throughout.

For a multiplayer shooter, framerate consistency is paramount. Given its relative visual parity with the PS4 release, Call of Duty: Ghosts is a more playable, slightly superior (albeit disappointing) game on Xbox One."

Bottom Line:

Xbox One Score: 7.0

PS4 Score 6.5

Read the full review at Polygon: http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/5/5052646/call-of-duty-ghosts-review

No matter how you cut it, giving the PS4 version of the game a significantly lower score (6.5 versus 7.0) because of a framerate drops (which I highly doubt extend below 40fps at worst-case) is extremely, EXTREMELY suspect. This is especially true considering that day one patches for either the game or the PS4 itself may resolve such issues.

There's also the fact that IGN's Xbox One versus PS4 comparison video states, "The framerates are, as always, locked at a smooth 60 frames per second, with only the odd minor hiccup on PS4." That's a far cry from Polygon's claims of "consistent framerate drops." [Source]

Last edited by a moderator:
the skullgirls dev would not lie. Maybe it was just rushed out the door because they were trying to get all versions out in even a somewhat acceptable state. Day 1 patches have become a crutch for lazyness after all

They all come from the same perpetuating propaganda factory, you guys have been eating it all up until now.
Ravidrath

Lab Zero Games

09-12-2013, 01:06 AM
This is anecdotal from E3, but...

I've heard the architecture with the ESRAM is actually a major hurdle in development because you need to manually fill and flush it.

So unless MS's APIs have improved to the point that this is essentially automatic, the bandwidth and hardware speed are probably irrelevant.

For reference, the story going around E3 went something like this:

"ATVI was doing the CoD: Ghosts port to nextgen. It took three weeks for PS4 and came out at 90 FPS unoptimized, and four months on Xbone and came out at 15 FPS."

The same "propaganda factory" that leaked the Xbox One versions of Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty: Ghosts running at 720p? Or a different propaganda factory altogether?

Hint: It's a different propaganda factory.

Don't attribute the false leaks of one unreliable insider to other insiders that have proven themselves to be (mostly) accurate over the years.

So the big news about the PS4 resolution hasn't been dropped yet?

If not then I still have time to :runaway: to my shelter along with AlNets.

There's also the fact that IGN's Xbox One versus PS4 comparison video states, "The framerates are, as always, locked at a smooth 60 frames per second, with only the odd minor hiccup on PS4." That's a far cry from Polygon's claims of "consistent framerate drops." [Source]

SP not MP

No matter how you cut it, giving the PS4 version of the game a significantly lower score (6.5 versus 7.0) because of a framerate drops (which I highly doubt extend below 40fps at worst-case) is extremely, EXTREMELY suspect. This is especially true considering that day one patches for either the game or the PS4 itself may resolve such issues.

Jeff from Giantbomb (paraphrasing) mentioned frame rate issues with the PS4 but said the resolution differences were noticeable. He said as of right now he'd call it a draw but if there is a patch things would likely swing in the PS4 favor.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/a-...nfo/1100-4785/

Interesting the Videogamer review mentioned that they did not experience framerate issues:

http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/ca...lefield_4.html

Gameinformer noted in their review that they could not detect any difference between versions:

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/ca...-xbox-one.aspx

It will be interesting to see what DF has to say about all this...

So the big news about the PS4 resolution hasn't been dropped yet?

If not then I still have time to :runaway: to my shelter along with AlNets.

If you're talking about the PS4 version being 1080p (with the Xbox One version being 720p), that was confirmed a while ago.

Nope. That's not it. :runaway:

Oh come on. I thought these silly teases were the exclusive domain of NeoGAF mods. :)

If it's really "big news" as you say, then my guess would be that the PS4 features a dynamic resolution (down to as low as 720p, even?) to stabilize framerate? Either that, or the PS4 version actually runs at a slightly higher res than 1080p (for whatever reason).

If it's something mundane like, "PS4 version is actually 900p," then that's not fallout-shelter worthy imo.

Oh come on. I thought these silly teases were the exclusive domain of NeoGAF mods. :)

If it's really "big news" as you say, then my guess would be that the PS4 features a dynamic resolution (down to as low as 720p, even?) to stabilize framerate? Either that, or the PS4 version actually runs at a slightly higher res than 1080p (for whatever reason).

If it's something mundane like, "PS4 version is actually 900p," then that's not fallout-shelter worthy imo.

The truth is that the PS4 is actually running the XB1 version via an emulator :runaway:

It turned out it was quicker to emulate the XB1 than it was to actually write the code for the PS4...:devilish:

For a game like FPS would steady frame-rate be more important than resolution? Guess so according to polygon but still both disappointing.

Isn't the PC version having the exact issues as the PS4 version? That should mean a patch is certain. Or, according to Polygon, the Xbox One version will be the definitive version. :) Didn't they score all platform versions the same, except the Xbox One version?

Isn't the PC version having the exact issues as the PS4 version? That should mean a patch is certain. Or, according to Polygon, the Xbox One version will be the definitive version. :) Didn't they score all platform versions the same, except the Xbox One version?

What's funny is that you can probably just set your PS4 to only output at 720p, and then the game would likely run at the same (if not better) framerate than the Xbox One version. :rolleyes:

Oh, Polygon.

Back