*split* multiplatform console-world problems + Image Quality Debate

That all depends on the display. 2 megapixels is good enough for a 6"x4" glossy print in the same quality people got from their film cameras.
Mate have you seen 2MP digital photos printed? theyve not comparable to 6"x4" film pictures
also 2MP with a camera is worse than 2MP for a display as cameras add a lot of noise also they often save the pictures in a non lossless format

They do but you'd have to change the output resolution settings. .
So consoles let you run a game at any resolution you want ? or just common tv resolutions? what output resolutions do consoles support?
and what would happen if you have a 1080p screen you turn off scaling and your playing ryse 1600x900 I'm guessing a console wont have that res as an output resolution.

Higher resolution doesn't mean better IQ IMO, just look at GTAV that runs at 720p but it has some of the worst IQ I've seen this gen same with Portal 2 on 360, personally I'd get a softer look over a sharper looking game with jaggies and shimmering all over the place.
Hmm this may be news to you, but higher resolution will actually make the jaggies and shimmering less noticeable, I thought everyone understood this

and what "type" (by type you mean resolution?) are offered ?

Xbox 360 lets you do typical 480p, 720p, and 1080p, plus some interlace formats. When you use the VGA cord I think it does a few monitor aspect resolutions as well.

Most TVs will only accept standard "HD" resolutions, plus possibly a few more for "PC" input (although my Plasma won't).

Letting users directly pick the rendering resolution would be a really bad idea as it would mess with mess with memory allocation (esram am cry), plus most users who bothered to fiddle with settings would pick a high resolution and then complain about shit performance.

due to a relatively meaningless number.
1. resolution is not meaningless
2. when you look at vids on youtube etc, they are not shown native res or if they are its with compression artifacts. So a viewer like myself will go, ok so thats sort of what its generally gonna look like but its not exactly what its gonna look like.
If someone finds 720p or 480p or whatever blocky then thats up to them.
I know going back to using 1366x768 on my laptop after using 1920x1200 on my desktop sucks, you may be happy with it fine, but Im certainly not.

That depends on what the tradeoff for the higher resolution is.

If the higher res costs you various types of AA (MS, aniso) the jaggies and shimmering can appear worse at a higher resolution.

1. resolution is not meaningless
2. when you look at vids on youtube etc, they are not shown native res or if they are its with compression artifacts. So a viewer like myself will go, ok so thats sort of what its generally gonna look like but its not exactly what its gonna look like.
If someone finds 720p or 480p or whatever blocky then thats up to them.
I know going back to using 1366x768 on my laptop after using 1920x1200 on my desktop sucks, you may be happy with it fine, but Im certainly not.
I'd agree if I were viewing console games on my desktop monitor. At 6-8' from my TV, 720p and 4xMSAA is fine. As good/better than 1080p no AA. More so if it means fancier pixels.

if resolution matters to you then there is no console to buy. there is no console out now or in a few weeks that will play every game at 1080p.

meanwhile dead rising 3 exists on only one platform . So either you get it or don't.

There's a difference between the rendering resolution, and what the scaler outputs. This is very clear on the 360, which has very good support for all sorts of different resolution outputs (including aspect correct 16:10 say with 1680x1050)

Some TVs offer 1:1 pixel mapping so you could definitely bypass the TV's internal scaler regardless of resolution input.

That depends on what the tradeoff for the higher resolution is.

If the higher res costs you various types of AA (MS, aniso) the jaggies and shimmering can appear worse at a higher resolution.

+1...Ryse has great AA methods and the results at 900p are fantastic. I'd imagine it would look worse without AA if running at 1080p.

720P is fine for Dead Rising 3. There is more going on in this game than any game I have ever seen. I am extremely happy they got the frame rate under control. Some people will never be satisfied especially if they really dont want the system the game is released on to succeed in the first place.

I am worried about the DF's "soft blur" shown on PS4 games so far (on DF's BF4 face-off but also others multiplats comparisons somewhere else than DF).

Even when you factor out the allegedly sharpening XOne upscaler, the PS4 games appear with too much blur compared to same games on PC or PS3.

BF4 is the only "blurry" game pegged that we have seen running on PS4. And that is pegged down to a too aggressive AA solution.

PS4 games are not inherently like that, but it should be common sense.

if resolution matters to you then there is no console to buy. there is no console out now or in a few weeks that will play every game at 1080p.

meanwhile dead rising 3 exists on only one platform . So either you get it or don't.

To be fair MS is the boy who cried wolf when it comes to exclusives, I wouldn't be surprised if we see some version of the game later on PS4 just like I expect to see some version of Titanfall eventually there too.

The current generation pattern should temper expectations somewhat about exclusives on both platforms.

That said DR3 looks like a great game, I'm disappointed I won't be playing it next week on my PS4. This could very well be one of the best games available at launch on either platform - in any case the progression of the game is encouraging. Procedurally rendered zombies is a step in the right direction and I personally would place a higher emphasis on little things like this than 1080p vs 720p. But that isn't to say I'm going to pretend 1080p>>>>720p, its just to say there are other things with level design, AI, less generic characters, textures and dialogue that IMO could/should be consuming developer resources.

Mate have you seen 2MP digital photos printed?
Yes, lots. I use a photo print service that I supply 300dpi images (1800x1200, 2.1 MP) and the results on Fujifilm paper are every bit the equal of film prints, comparing Canon EOS digital to Canon EOS analogue and using the same lenses. 6 MP printed on that service won't look any better.

Back