*split* multiplatform console-world problems + Image Quality Debate

Good point. The only other sub-FullHD game that I've seen is Ryse and it doesn't have the nasty artifacts that BF4 does. I mean Ryse has very good AA, but I don't see any ringing or over-sharpening. :shrug:. Maybe it is just some post-sharpening added on to BF4.

I am worried about the DF's "soft blur" shown on PS4 games so far (on DF's BF4 face-off but also others multiplats comparisons somewhere else than DF).

Even when you factor out the allegedly sharpening XOne upscaler, the PS4 games appear with too much blur compared to same games on PC or PS3.

Got to take back my praise ... it's 720p so i would expect pixar graphics , and obviously this game hasn't.
It's not 2005 anymore .

So you think it looks awesome, but because of a number you can't like it? Seems like a dumb way of looking at things. And when I say dumb, I mean stupid.

Haha...tough crowd to please. Gotta remember games have budgets. I'm pretty sure they could make it closer to CG at 720p but probably not with the development budget limit they're given. You also have to factor ROI so it's very risky to put a lot of very high quality assets into an expensive game and not get the sales you want because the game is not a mainstream FPS title. DR doesn't have as much cache as Resident Evil so to expect it to have the same graphical fidelity of a nextgen RE game is asking too much IMO.

why doesnt the consoles let you play non 1080 games without scaling, i'd probably prefer that to upscaling

They do but you'd have to change the output resolution settings. Also you'd have to turn off upscaling on the TV which if it's a native 1080p tv will leave a big border around the screen.

Got to take back my praise ... it's 720p so i would expect pixar graphics , and obviously this game hasn't.
It's not 2005 anymore .

its 2013,dude, u living under a rock or what !
resolution doesn't matter, fps doesn't matter, graphics don't matter, gamers don't matter, games don't matter
..... nothing matters except your money going to them.

Higher resolution doesn't mean better IQ IMO, just look at GTAV that runs at 720p but it has some of the worst IQ I've seen this gen same with Portal 2 on 360, personally I'd get a softer look over a sharper looking game with jaggies and shimmering all over the place.
Higher resolution doesn't mean better IQ, I agree. More than that, I believe it's a fact! However, higher resolution DOES mean better IQ, when everything else is the same. That, too, is a fact. That's what this whole 720p vs 1080p rage thing has been about, lately. People are upset due to others attempting to "muddy the water".

So you think it looks awesome, but because of a number you can't like it? Seems like a dumb way of looking at things. And when I say dumb, I mean stupid.

I liked it from the youtube video , it looks great but i don't want 720p games on my big tv anymore - if you're content with it , ok .

I am worried about the DF's "soft blur" shown on PS4 games so far (on DF's BF4 face-off but also others multiplats comparisons somewhere else than DF).

Even when you factor out the allegedly sharpening XOne upscaler, the PS4 games appear with too much blur compared to same games on PC or PS3.

What other comparisons? I've only seen BF4, and there it's likely a combination of 900p and a little too agressive post-process aliasing. Yesterday I saw Call of Duty on PS4, and that looked fine (very old-fashioned lighting, flowers popped-in, but it was 1080p native at least)

What other comparisons? I've only seen BF4, and there it's likely a combination of 900p and a little too agressive post-process aliasing. Yesterday I saw Call of Duty on PS4, and that looked fine (very old-fashioned lighting, flowers popped-in, but it was 1080p native at least)

Well, EVERY comparisons or high quality videos I got my hands on, notably:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-battlefield-4-next-gen-vs-pc-face-off-preview First Digital Foundry "Soft blur" mention

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-next-gen-now-battlefield-4 Again the vaseline on supposedly direct feed gameplay.

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2013/11/02/battlefield-4-next-gen-vs-current-gen
IGN Excerpt PS3 (700p) vs PS4 (900p) from last video:
http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad108/ziseknsa/ps3vsps4_zps4755089d.jpg~original In this one the PS4 is MORE blurry than PS3's. :oops:

Latest highbitrate Killzone video capture (blurry):
http://i.imgur.com/5MZ5RVO.jpg
First Killzone allegedly framebuffer shot (same assets, not blurry):
http://images.gamersyde.com/image_killzone_shadow_fall-23538-2660_0005.jpg

Now it is a regular complaint (not only DF's and mine) I have read everywhere on Internet (and here) or said differently (muddy, soft, toned down etc.). I assume now (until proved otherwise by ONE sharp footage I am still searching for) it is due to capture troubles from the dev-kits/review machines.

Speaking to Eurogamer, Rare's executive producer Danny Isaac said: "We actually started at 720p [on Kinect Sports Rivals] and we didn't think we had a problem there. The world still looked lush. The water looked fantastic. We went up to 960 and it got a bit crisper, and I remember looking at it going, 'actually, yeah, that's a big improvement.'"

However, Isaac doesn't believe the jump from 960p to 1080p will offer any real advantage to the typical player.

http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/kinect_sports_rivals/news/microsoft_dev_admits_higher_resolution_visuals_offer_a_big_improvement_over_720p.html

Resolution matters when the game in considerarion can do it, doesn't matter when the game can't.

@cyan: 41 megapixels and 21 Megapixels!!! I can still see indidvidual pixels on my tv screen, we haven't reached the kindof pixel counts photography ahs reached for it to not make a difference anymore. How about comapring a 3 mp and a 6 megapixel photograph, i can tell that difference between my phone camera and my Canon.

@cyan: 41 megapixels and 21 Megapixels!!! I can still see indidvidual pixels on my tv screen, we haven't reached the kindof pixel counts photography ahs reached for it to not make a difference anymore. How about comapring a 3 mp and a 6 megapixel photograph, i can tell that difference between my phone camera and my Canon.
That all depends on the display. 2 megapixels is good enough for a 6"x4" glossy print in the same quality people got from their film cameras. The difference between your phone camera and Canon is down to the optics.Take a 6 MP shot on your camera and a 2 MP shot on your Canon and the Canon will still look better unless, perhaps, if you zoom in. But phone lenses are crap and can have terrible resolving power (people don't factor that into their evaluation. A lens has a 'resolution' too, and all the megapixels in the world can't make a blurry image from the lens look good).

Higher resolution doesn't mean better IQ, I agree. More than that, I believe it's a fact! However, higher resolution DOES mean better IQ, when everything else is the same. That, too, is a fact. That's what this whole 720p vs 1080p rage thing has been about, lately. People are upset due to others attempting to "muddy the water".

If the assets, AA and AF are the same of course the version that runs at higher resolution will be better but what if the 1080p version doesn't have AA at all and only 2xAF when the 720p or 900p version has 2xMSAA+FXAA and 8xAF? which is the better of the two? that's what I mean when I say that the obsession lately with resolution is getting out of hand with comments "I will not buy a 720p title on my PS4! 720p is so last gen & 1080p is next gen! OMG! e.t.c." so if we get a title on either console with for example Samaritan tech demo level of visuals at 720p/30fps on an open world environment will this game be last gen and not worth calling it next gen just because it's 720p/30fps? it's ridiculous to judge a game's tech only by it's resolution.

If the assets, AA and AF are the same of course the version that runs at higher resolution will be better but what if the 1080p version doesn't have AA at all and only 2xAF when the 720p or 900p version has 2xMSAA+FXAA and 8xAF? which is the better of the two? that's what I mean when I say that the obsession lately with resolution is getting out of hand with comments "I will not buy a 720p title on my PS4! 720p is so last gen & 1080p is next gen! OMG! e.t.c." so if we get a title on either console with for example Samaritan tech demo level of visuals at 720p/30fps on an open world environment will this game be last gen and not worth calling it next gen just because it's 720p/30fps? it's ridiculous to judge a game's tech only by it's resolution.

I thought we got to the topic of parity. So your point is not much of a point.

I liked it from the youtube video , it looks great but i don't want 720p games on my big tv anymore - if you're content with it , ok .

Amazing...

if you had no clue what the resolution was, you'd think the game looked fantastic. In fact that's what you thought when you had no idea what it was running at.

But, throw a number on it and suddenly it is unacceptable? Throw a different number at it and suddenly it's great.

I could totally understand if you thought it didn't look great in the first place. But really. It went from fantastic to bleh, due to a relatively meaningless number.

Strange people on these forums. If something looks good, it looks good.

Regards,
SB

Back