*split* multiplatform console-world problems + Image Quality Debate

This has just gotten plain stupid. Some things just can't be reduced to a completely objective measure. It is called image QUALITY.

The fact that Art used to mean skill I think says enough about the importance of subjectivity ...

How are TVs nowadays in regards of latency? Is it possible now to read text while scrolling the screen or does still become a blurry mess when you do that?

Lots of cheap LCDs without noticeable ghosting.

Yeah, they've come a long way, but of course it still depends on the TV and the modes it supports - e.g. MotionFlow kind of motion interpolation had better be an option that is off by default for PC/Console inputs. ;)

This is what I like about the current Sony TVs, they seem perfect for gaming.

That's great to hear, I've been holding onto my CRT monitor because of that, but if the problem is gone then I guess it's time to switch to something more recent.

Developers need to find interesting ways to apply Kinect, not bolt on check list type of stuff.

Eastman's example of the exercise title is somewhat interesting but it has additional monthly fees

It is free until January 2015 provided you have a Gold subscription.

Yeah, they've come a long way, but of course it still depends on the TV and the modes it supports - e.g. MotionFlow kind of motion interpolation had better be an option that is off by default for PC/Console inputs. ;)

This is what I like about the current Sony TVs, they seem perfect for gaming.

It's the main reason I'm hanging onto my rather elderly Bravia (KDL-40W2000). The colour definition and absolutely no fecking around with the image. No lag, no blur. It's bliss!

OT brofist for the kdl-40w2000, gray scale calibrated that bad boy and it's looking like its gonna last until 4k! :)

True, it is un-calibration. ;)
I have never been a big fan of sharpening the image, but the correct Sharpness on your TV can make a difference, for good. Trust me on this one.

My TV lets you select a Sharpness value ranging from 0 up to 20.

At zero, 2D games like Super Street Fighter 2 HD look like 3D animation movies, without a single trace or hint of aliasing.

I set it at 4, because it adds a bit of detail to the image. Then I enable Advanced Sharpness, and the image quality is truly staggering! :eek: With a Sharpness value of 4 it looks almost as there is no sharpness applied.

Then when you turn Advanced Sharpness on it is so subtle, so unobtrusive that it is really worth it.

You get all the benefits from a well applied Sharpness without any of the disadvantages -artefacts (aliased edges, mostly)-.

I like how particular people keep spinning the subject to similar but unrelated topics.

The real question is:
When X1 upscales a 720p image to 1080p with sharpening...
1. Does it look better than output 720p and letting your receiver/TV do the upscaling, and
2. Does it look better at 1080p with the upscaling versus the original 720p.

It is NOT when X1 upscale 720p to 1080p, it's going to look better than native 1080p.

I like how particular people keep spinning the subject to similar but unrelated topics.

The real question is:
When X1 upscales a 720p image to 1080p with sharpening...
1. Does it look better than output 720p and letting your receiver/TV do the upscaling, and
2. Does it look better at 1080p with the upscaling versus the original 720p.

It is NOT when X1 upscale 720p to 1080p, it's going to look better than native 1080p.

Why do you assume the sharpening in BF has anything to do with upscaling? They could be independent.

It would be easy to test out if somebody could record the Xbox One outputting at 720p.
But we would need the equipment to actually do that. (and the console too)

...unless they removed that option which I doubt.

Back