Rate the "nextgeness" of upcoming titles on a scale from 1 to 10

RudeCurve

Banned
After posting about the nextgeness of upcoming titles, I'd like to see everyone's honest opinion of the "nextgeness" of upcoming titles for X1/PS4. On a scale from 1 to 10...ten being most nextgen looking feel free to rate them.

10: Ryse, Deep Down
9: The Order 1888, The Division
8: KZSF, BF4, Forza 5, MGS5, Destiny, The Evil Within, AC4, COD Ghosts
7: Drive Club, Dead Rising 3, Watchdogs, TitanFall, Killer Instinct

Last edited by a moderator:
Frankly all non-cross gen games look next gen, just some more than others.

Driving games especially have the most diminishing returns to battle. Any genre which is limited in where you can go is going to benefit the most and have the most "wow" factor. If you can only go down one corridor or one track, life is easier for a engine. That is why the freedom, size and draw distance of Second Son is the most impressive game to me so far. I'd love a next gen GTA.

9: Ryse, KZ:SF, Deep Down, Resogun
8.5: The Division, Infamous: SS
8: BF4, MGS5, Destiny
7.5: DriveClub
7: Forza 5, AC4, Watch Dogs
6: Titanfall, Knack, Killer Instinct
5: CoD Ghosts

If we're considering the fact that most of these are launch window titles, then I'd give all of them an extra point.
If in fact what we saw of The Order was representative of in-game like they said (and possibly better), then I would put it as a 9 as well.

You guys all rank Ryse very highly, of the games I saw during the MS presentation this one probably looked the least next-gen to me. Maybe there's other footage released now which I haven't seen, but the first shown seemed kinda washed out and cartoony in its lighting tech, and geometry did not strike me as particularly detailed either. Better than a triple-A current gen game perhaps, but not excessively so. Animation was stiff, transitions were jerky and movements looked keyframe animated at times.

...But yeah, this is just my first (and sadly, only) impression. I must be missing something it would seem! :)

Too many variables to rank really. How new is the build? did you play it on a calibrated TV or watch a YouTube video? Did you watch a part the devs want you to see, mostly cut scenes? We need to play these games at home, and DF breakdowns will be handy assuming they keep from editorializing.

I guess a direct feed video of the latest build my be useful, but not many of those.

Killzone and Infamous are the only ones worthy of a 10 to me.Resogun should be up there too,but is a smaller game.

Titanfall is probably the worst,it doesn't even sport moving foliage from what I can tell.

I haven't seen enough of most games. Generally I've been fairly disappointed. things can look pretty and all, but there's something lacking. eg. KZSF, the lack of interactivity makes the thing look too fake, even if very prettily rendered. F5 still looks like a computer game racer. The character work in Ryse and The Order is fantastic though, which is promising. And I saw a little DR3 with reflected GI torchlight which was a nice next-gen feature. There was an E3 game with a good interface I complimented at the time. The Division, or Watchdogs, or something like that.

But in a 1-10 scale, I take that to be 1 is current gen, and 10 should be the best next-gen can do, no? I mean, all the next-gen techniques that'll be commonplace over the coming years. Lighting is going to be incredible. I can't see any launch title making more than a 7 on that scale. I'll be extremely disappointed if the best at launch is as good as next-gen gets!!

I haven't seen enough of most games. Generally I've been fairly disappointed. things can look pretty and all, but there's something lacking. eg. KZSF, the lack of interactivity makes the thing look too fake, even if very prettily rendered. F5 still looks like a computer game racer. The character work in Ryse and The Order is fantastic though, which is promising. And I saw a little DR3 with reflected GI torchlight which was a nice next-gen feature. There was an E3 game with a good interface I complimented at the time. The Division, or Watchdogs, or something like that.

But in a 1-10 scale, I take that to be 1 is current gen, and 10 should be the best next-gen can do, no? I mean, all the next-gen techniques that'll be commonplace over the coming years. Lighting is going to be incredible. I can't see any launch title making more than a 7 on that scale. I'll be extremely disappointed if the best at launch is as good as next-gen gets!!

uh.
http://www.abload.de/img/ation1gvksc.gif

KZ2 had some destructible geometry like pillars, glass etc so nothing new there. I'd be surprised if KZSF did not have some level of environmental destruction. Every upcoming nextgen FPS should have it as standard in IMO....same with racing games and car damage.

I'll have the chance to play Ryse,KZ and some other next gen titles in a pair of weeks, i'll keep my thoughts until then. :D

In RFOM, you could wall hack, but you have to equip the Auger which also allows you to shoot through walls. The wall remains intact.

In addition, you could break the SPU "nextgen" glass. :)

It's one of the rare SPU uses at launch. I heard RFOM was mainly done without much SPU help though.

KZ2 had just a little breakable stuff (e.g., the concrete pillars in Radec Academy), and scripted destruction. In the above section, it looks like we could walk though the destroyed wall. I remember GG's CEO spoke briefly about more destructibility (and more open levels). But they have showed rather little KZSF features to date.

EDIT:
KZ2 had some destructible geometry like pillars, glass etc so nothing new there. I'd be surprised if KZSF did not have some level of environmental destruction. Every upcoming nextgen FPS should have it as standard in IMO....same with racing games and car damage.

Yes, I think you can shoot through wooden windows in KZ2 also. But window destruction was rather simple as you may have guessed.

A better comparison may be KZ3 jungle vs KZSF forest level. The scope is on a different level. We will need to see the final AI to get a sense of how the combat works (e.g., 8 on-screen AI vs 24 on-screen AI in KZSF before slowing down).

In MP, KZSF should be 60fps (1080p ?). KZ3 is 30fps 720p.

On top of all these, the PS4 games are supposed to support video recording, spectating, and some sort of remote assistance. I don't know if all these features will be available at launch. But you can get a better perspective of how they (intend to) deploy their computing resources at run-time.

The PS3 could run PlayTV together with some games.

Ryse and KZ are the most next gen to me . If i buy an XB1 or PS4 they're on my list .
Also DR3 for the huge amount of zombies and lighting .
(no comment on games like The Order or Division , both seem like they won't be released any time soon.)
Forza 5 doesn't look very special but the silky smooth 60fps goes a long way ... Driveclub looked plain and boring , good thing it got delayed .

10. Ryse, Star Citizen, Division and pretty sure The Order [must see more, some scans were outstanding, some werent], Quantum Break [same as The Order, need to see more]
9. BF 4, Infamous:SS and Deep Down [if they fix the framerate and make bigger tiles]
8. KZ:SF and Drive Club
7. Witcher 3 and DA:I

AC 4 has some nice next-gen features like volumetrics, vegetation or water, but some stuff is still too last gen. Other games do not pass Crysis 2 levels, so i cant count them as next-gen too much. Forza 5 for example looks like 4 in HD.

10 division
7 Kingdom hearts 3
6mgs5
5ryse, bf4

If kh3 got more trailers, maybe for me, it can goes up to 10. Since a kid, I always want a game that looks like pixar / dreamworks animation in movie theatre.

So thats a new metric "nextgeness"

Exactly. I almost laughed when I saw the thread : What kind of a thread is that ? "nextgenness" ! :LOL: What happened B3D :p ? I think this actually qualifies as a "buzzword" then !
I guess we are just supposed to rate the next gen games according to our liking?

Back