AMD Mantle API [updating]

Question is: is that performance difference down to releasing a CPU bottleneck or a GPU bottleneck. If they'd have ran the game on an i7-4770K instead of the A10-7850K, would the DX11 framerate have been much close to the Mantle framerate on the A10 of 55 fps?

Question is: is that performance difference down to releasing a CPU bottleneck or a GPU bottleneck. If they'd have ran the game on an i7-4770K instead of the A10-7850K, would the DX11 framerate have been much close to the Mantle framerate on the A10 of 55 fps?

good question, we must wait and see more test on better cpu than a10 one...

It should be closer to 55FPS but how close I have no idea. Best it to ask someone with i7-4770k and R9 290X to run same settings on the same map and report FPS. I have R9 290X but only i5-2500k so it might not be representative. Will try to run similar test at 4.1GHz CPU to offset Haswell advantage.

It should be closer to 55FPS but how close I have no idea. Best it to ask someone with i7-4770k and R9 290X to run same settings on the same map and report FPS. I have R9 290X but only i5-2500k so it might not be representative. Will try to run similar test at 4.1GHz CPU to offset Haswell advantage.

it is still a very good cpu, definitely more powerful of the A10 one...why don't you test it? :D

The 2500K should not be much of a bottleneck in BF4 even under DX11. Please do test :)

55FPS on the A107850K is very good. Seems Mantle probably won't buy my 7950 much since it's running on a i5-3550 but it already runs fine under DX11 anyway.

So I had to play through 3 BF4 SP missions to get to the ship, but it was worth it!

R9 290X 1000/1250, Win 7 x64, Cat 13.11 beta 9.5

i5-2500k 2980MHz all cores no turbo

i5-2500k 4192MHz all core no turbo

This was one of the most demanding CPU wise spots I could easily retest at different CPU settings but the worst was underwater cut-scene with lots of air bubbles dropping down to mere 30FPS @4.1GHz
Graphics settings were set to Ultra preset and 1920x1080 vSync OFF. I've tried lowering Deffered AA to 0x and post process AA to Medium but it didn't have any effect on FPS at this spot.

I must say there were quite a few moments in those early 3 mission where frames were dropping to 30-35FPS with CPU @4.1GHz and if Mantle helps there it will be great! I would say 85% of time I had 60-120FPS, 10% of time 50-60FPS and remaining 5% of time were under 50FPS with heavy dips to 30+FPS

Last edited by a moderator:
...This was one of the most demanding CPU wise spots I could easily retest at different CPU settings but the worst was underwater cut-scene with lots of air bubbles dropping down to mere 30FPS @4.1GHz...
Where was that underwater cut-scene? When you jump to the water from the ship?

w32szpe.jpg

We are one month away from Thief release. Eidos needs to kick their marketing promotinos into higher gear. That includes showcase of Mantle and benchmarks. :)

Eidos needs to kick their marketing promotinos...

No, they need to tell me if I can use my r7 260x paired with a 290 or not.

Given mantle technology should allow you to differentiate GPGPU path and 3d path, it should be trivial to at least allow one ring to go on secondary cards.

That would also cause to sell more cheap cards to extend the high end ones...

We are one month away from Thief release. Eidos needs to kick their marketing promotinos into higher gear. That includes showcase of Mantle and benchmarks. :)

Don't forget Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare releasing that same week (25th). It runs on Frostbite and supports mantle as well.

Back