AMD Mantle API [updating]

Its obviously something from Intel - there are plenty of 6c12t options to choose from in its desktop and server lineups. Interesting that they would be working with them rather than AMD CPU's for a Mantle demonstration.

I haven't seen the video, but it could be a Xeon. There are several 6 core/12 threads variants like the E5-1650 for example

Any of the top-end Core i7 for the LGA2011 platform has 6c/12t. It's been a couple of years, actually.

Could be even an old Westmere (Nehalem-C) for LGA1366.

AMD has some server SKUs with >8 cores, but AFAIK those are not sold in the regular channels.

Interesting that they would be working with them rather than AMD CPU's for a Mantle demonstration.
The demo ran on an FX8350

o1yzSV7.jpg

The demo ran on an FX8350

An 8350 isn't a 6 core processor though so the 80k(?) batches that he referred to on a 6c12t CPU must have been an Intel system. I think he mentioned about 50-60k on a 4 core system which may be the 4770K referred to in the slide.

It didn't run on an FX8350 for the demonstration probably. They mentioned they tested with a number of different processors. They were primarily using a 4770k if I got it right from the presentation, so there would be nothing weird about a 6 core Intel CPU being used here. But they also tested a 8350 and did a test with that 8350 downclocked to 2Ghz.

I wonder how an old Phenom II would stand up in this case. If there isn't too much thread syncing, the old K10 should be pretty competitive.

They fielded a question at around 35m50s asking what hardware the demo was running on. The guy replied "this is an FX8350 and a Hawaii board right now."

Some ppl should really watch the whole thing.

They said the demo at APU was running on FX. They said they tested the demo on different CPUs, including 4770k. They said FX was at least as fast as 4770k or even slighty faster due to more 'real cores'.

They fielded a question at around 35m50s asking what hardware the demo was running on. The guy replied "this is an FX8350 and a Hawaii board right now."

I listened to the whole thing, but missed that :D But that's the downside of multitasking ... (work has a higher priority)

So isn't the most interesting takeaway from this that just by removing DirectX from the equation, and not rewriting any code, you get a 2-3 times performance boost for your whole game? (and over 10x drawcall performance?)

Doesn't that suggest that it is at the very least definitely time for a new, properly multi-threaded API? That graphic with the difference between actual performance through DirectX vs expected of the GPU, and its correlation with the introduction of multi-core CPUs is pretty ... serious.

And yes, they said they would make the demo available to all to tinker with.

I believe what it says is that Microsoft have been sitting on their asses and rightly deserves to go the way of Adobe Flash (the dodo) when it comes to DirectX.

About time something made PC gaming exciting again.

Back