Kinect and Oculus Rift

baten

Regular
(maybe stupid) question:
If Oculus Rift comes to consoles, how would it be integrated with Kinect?

The reason I am asking is because right now I play may games through Sony's HTZ-T2 and for me ad least Kinect seems to have no use whatsoever.

(maybe stupid) question:

The reason I am asking is because right now I play may games through Sony's HTZ-T2 and for me ad least Kinect seems to have no use whatsoever.

Are the games you compatible with head tracking??

kinect will do mo-cap of your body. That way you can interact with the virtual world, albeit without any physical feedback :/

the Disney's air-blower-thing seems will solve that problem a little bit.

Kinect2 cameras record in 1080p, but only in 30fps. That creates 60ms of lag even before processing of that data is introduced.

Kinect2 cameras record in 1080p, but only in 30fps. That creates 60ms of lag even before processing of that data is introduced.

It's not about the lag, it's about "does Kinect makes sense if I'm playing through Oculus Rift"

It might make a lot of sense and they could fit great with eachother. Or not, they might be mutually exclusive...

I really have no ideea, but for the moment, as I mentioned I use a device which mimics the Oculus (I play laying in bed fwiw) and Kinect does not seem to fit at all with this setting...

Hand waiving would probably be ok but actual full body movement would be a bad idea if you had an OC headset on. Granted a fairly robust cottage industry of Youtube videos memorializing the attempt to integrate both technologies would be profitable and entertaining...

Man, you ruined my day... This is probably the T3 version, or how T3 should be, and I NEED to have it.... It's perfect, you even have room for OE headphones... And it looks much solid than the T2.

Actually this is how the Oculus Rift should look - hope Sony buys them ...

No, HMZ-T3 should be something else. That's a modified HMZ-T2.

the problem when using Kinect + OR will be the unavailability to see the room where player stand.

without OR, kinect already making very easy for people for hitting each other, kicking a chair, bumping a table, punching a ceiling light.

theres also the problem where developer need specifically support kinect. If the mo-cap only hacked into the game, it will me impossible to do 1:1 full body motion.

btw paperboy
http://vimeo.com/71336141

kinect + OR on miku game thing, MMD?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDlvn3voblQ

(maybe stupid) question:

Having a Kinect tracking your body movements would allow for more natural (though not totally natural due to the lack of tactile feedback) interactions with objects in the virtual environment. You could reach out and hit buttons, pick up objects, open doors, etc. This would greatly improve immersion and if done really well could actually improve playability. Currently, interaction with objects, especially with a standard console controller, is actually quite clunky when you think about it.

The 60ms lag is quoted as a end to end delay. Meaning the time it takes for the camera to capture the image, until the processed result is showing on the screen. (And then there will be the TV delay on top of that).

(maybe stupid) question:

Simple, Occulus Rift can track your head movements. Kinect can track your entire body movements. Both have applications within the gamespace. Since both can track your head movements, then optimally you would use that to synchronize Occulus Rift head tracking with Kinect body tracking.

Now instead of canned animations to interact with objects, you can interact with them directly. Want to punch a punk in the face? Punch him. Want to instead push his shoulder? Push it. Want to instead kick him in the stomach? Kick him. Just try not to lose your balance when you do it though. :p

With a controller I'd assume you'd either have to look (center your vision) on what you want to interact with, or use a controller to move around a virtual cursor (hands perhaps). Much more clunky as opposed to just reaching out to it with your hands like you would normally do in the real world. For example, when I pick up a cup to drink from it I rarely ever look directly at it. I just reach ot the side and pick it up. Without Kinect, you have to either center your vision or navigate (in 3 dimensions) with a controller, very very awkward. You'd basically need 2 thumbsticks or a thumbstick and D-pad to manage it. Where with Kinect, you just reach out with your hand.

Movement is obviously an issue and there it's likely best to hold your controller in one hand or perhaps have a device specifically for walking. You only need forwards and backwards for that. As rotation can be handled entirely by Kinect (no need to look at the TV screen which is the limitation with rotation for Kinect + TV).

The obvious problem that comes in and has existed with all VR headset devices is that if the headset totally occludes the outside world, you'll have to have a specially designed space to use it. For VR headsets that combined full body tracking, that often required being in a specially designed space with a circular wall around the person to prevent them from wandering into something potentially hazardous.

Hence, you'd either need Kinect to track your room and put down a highlighted area on the ground in game that denotes where you have to stay in, or a headset that doesn't fully occlude the outside world. Having Kinect just put in a highlighted virtual boundary on the ground in game (and perhaps in the air as well if you approach the boundary too closely) to match your living room space that it can track would likely be the ideal solution.

Regards,
SB

The main problem with Occulus Rift and Xbox One is having to run a DVI or HDMI cable to the headset. Unless you're setup at a desk, sitting beside your Xbox, there really isn't no convenient way to connect the two devices together. That's the main reason why Occulus Rift support on consoles will be limited. That is unless they can compress the video stream to a reasonable quality and send it to the Occulus Rift via wireless. That would assume there would be a wireless version of Occulus Rift with video decoding. Doesn't seem likely.

The main problem with Occulus Rift and Xbox One is having to run a DVI or HDMI cable to the headset. Unless you're setup at a desk, sitting beside your Xbox, there really isn't no convenient way to connect the two devices together. That's the main reason why Occulus Rift support on consoles will be limited. That is unless they can compress the video stream to a reasonable quality and send it to the Occulus Rift via wireless. That would assume there would be a wireless version of Occulus Rift with video decoding. Doesn't seem likely.

What is the screen resolution of OR?

Back