Free To Play Recommendations

sir doris

Regular
Hi, I'm looking for some recommendations for preferably team based multiplayer games which although need to be F2P (or very cheep ;) ) don't require you to spend loads to be competitive, if such games exist.

Basically myself and a few friends have been playing CS since before beta 6 but are now getting increasingly disillusioned with the lack of CS:GO servers with decent pings to the UK. We normally play competitive 5 vs 5 but lately we are spending more and more time in the lobby waiting for matches, and haven't been able to game with pings below 60ms for months. So we are now looking for something else to play. The problem is not everyone is in a position to splash out on new games, hence F2P.
Ideally the games would be team type based, preferably competitive as opposed to having people drop in and out in a throughout the game.

We've considered Mech Warrior Online and it's on the list to download, as is world of tanks. Generals 2 looks like it might be compelling but it's a while off yet, so anyone got any recommendations?

dota2? Never played the (previous) game but watched the trailer on gametrailer and it looks pretty good. Plus if you decide to spend any money it won't gain you any competitive advantage as paid items are only cosmetically.

Spiral Knights, maybe...? Dunno how the game is, I've never tried it, but it is still running and expansions are popping up every now and then.

Also, Sony has some F2P MMO thing, but I can't remember its name.

I'm pretty sure 90% of the answers in this thread are going to be either LoL or DOTA2. I honestly don't understand the MOBA craze. I personally can't stand the genre.

Path of Exile is free, in fact I downloaded it the other day and gave it a go. It's not too shabby. Also, if you're a fan of MMO's, Rift I'm relatively certain is totally free to play.

Also, Planetside 2 and Firefall are science fiction shooters. Firefall looks pretty cool.

other than MWO..... you can try planetside 2 but last time i tried it the game are too complex and too hectic.

Spawn in game,
Radar filled with symbols
I dont know where to go, what to do, how to drive.
Its more complex than MWO and have more variable than BF3.

To make things worse, the game are lag intolerant.

Spiral Knights, maybe...? Dunno how the game is, I've never tried it, but it is still running and expansions are popping up every now and then.

Also, Sony has some F2P MMO thing, but I can't remember its name.

I enjoyed that quite a lot at one time :D ! Discovered it by accident. I have a lot of items in my steam inventory too if someone wants it. I didn't know the game was still going strong. its a very good game, IMO.

I enjoyed that quite a lot at one time :D !
Spiral Knights? I saw the launch trailer for it, probably in a news post over at joystiq, and it looked really cool and fun, and then I found out it was a nickle-and-dime F2P game, and I instantly lost all interest. :LOL:

I didn't know the game was still going strong. its a very good game, IMO.
Maybe you should take a look again then, I think the latest expansion came only like a few months ago.

Back