Business Approach for Video Game Physical and Digital versions *spawn*

RudeCurve

Banned
They REALLY NEED to bring back playing games from hard drive without game disc inserted back...along with online checks BUT they should add some type of prompt to insert disc if you're not online. Why punish the people with an always on internet connection?:???:

I want to install all of my disc based games on a large 4TB hard drive and not have to insert the stupid game disc.

News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

They REALLY NEED to bring back playing games from hard drive without game disc inserted back...along with online checks BUT they should add some type of prompt to insert disc if you're not online. Why punish the people with an always on internet connection?:???:

I want to install all of my disc based games on a large 4TB hard drive and not have to insert the stupid game disc.

You can't do both. A game cannot both be a license to play a game offline while also simultaneously just being a dumb disc which the system will copy to the hard drive and can be tossed out later.

The system, when it returns, will be for downloaded games only. That's the carrot. Buy digital games, get expanded rights compared to last gen and Steam. Buy physical discs, get to trade and resell them all you want. Very simple and straight forward.

For multiplayer games with endless amounts of playability, it really doesn't make sense to buy a physical copy since you will more than get you $60 of value out of it. Plus, the idea of queuing for matches while doing other tasks just seems awesome.

For example:
"Xbox, On"
"Xbox, Call of Duty, Queue next multiplayer game"
And in the meantime, watch TV or something. Wouldn't that be awesome?

Unless the disc is in the system, you don't get that kind of multi-tasking.

You can do that now. You just have to buy the DD version.

You can do that now. You just have to buy the DD version.

I've known that for years...not to mention that 1 brain cell could've figured that out or do you suggest DD games come with a disc that needs to be inserted? Oh wait I remember when I download games I need to burn them onto a blank DVD just so I could insert them into the drive...:LOL::rolleyes:

Please read what you quote next time...

They would need keep DD and disc games seperate. Your digital shared library could be available only when the same online conditions are met, the 24h/1h checks.

They would need keep DD and disc games seperate. Your digital shared library could be available only when the same online conditions are met, the 24h/1h checks.

Right, but then you'd need to opt-in to the 24/1 model because as I understand it, it's not in place anymore. You can go offline with your DD games for an indefinite amount of time, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've known that for years...not to mention that 1 brain cell could've figured that out or do you suggest DD games come with a disc that needs to be inserted? Oh wait I remember when I download games I need to burn them onto a blank DVD just so I could insert them into the drive...:LOL::rolleyes:

Please read what you quote next time...
if that is important to you, you can buy the dd version. They is no other way to do what you want.

i read what i quoted and the solution is simple. Dont buy the disc version.

The consumer can now choose if what more of an issues disc swapping or buying dd.

if that is important to you, you can buy the dd version. They is no other way to do what you want.

i read what i quoted and the solution is simple. Dont buy the disc version.

The consumer can now choose if what more of an issues disc swapping or buying dd.

That's not a good solution and there are a couple of reasons why.

1. I don't want to have to buy from a single online shop. I want the freedom to shop around and buy where I could find good deals.

2. Not all disc based games will be available for download.

3. There's this thing called bandwidth caps...maybe you've heard of it...

4. I'd like to be able to sell my used game discs when I don't want them anymore.

There's already a very good solution that was being worked on it's called online authentication. They just need to bring it back and make it a op-in/op-out policy.

Stop being stubborn and get with the program dude.;)

If I opted in and then want give/sell my physical disc to a user that didn't opted in? Int he used market there would be mass confusion and some form verification process.

I think before the 180, they were tying the activation to the console and ownership to the account. This way one the game is installed/activated on that console, all accounts on that console have access to the game...somewhat like xbl games work now. So that model will need to change.

Edit: ^^^ wild guess/assumption how it would work...no inside knowledge.

That's not a good solution and there are a couple of reasons why.

1. I don't want to have to buy from a single online shop. I want the freedom to shop around and buy where I could find good deals.

2. Not all disc based games will be available for download.

3. There's this thing called bandwidth caps...maybe you've heard of it...

4. I'd like to be able to sell my used game discs when I don't want them anymore.

There's already a very good solution that was being worked on it's called online authentication. They just need to bring it back and make it a op-in/op-out policy.

1) True.
2) Not true. Every game will be available digitally.
3) Find someone with the disc, install the game on your hard drive, then buy a game license digitally from the store. Boom, you've just saved yourself from having to download the game while having all of the benefits of a digital version.
4) True.

Microsoft wanted to have a scenario where all of your conditions could be fulfilled by making a physical copy and digital copy the same. That's dead. The most we will get (and really where they should have gone all along) is expand digital rights and features such that people will give up the desire for used games on there own. Some people really want used games, others don't care at all. No one is forcing the transition on you.

That solution only works if it for everyone. It get really messy once you have an opt in.

Its all or nothing.

You opt in to have the game installed and now you sell it to someone that didnt opt in and doesnt even have internet. Now you have the game and sold it to someone else. So either it works or somehow they make a system that destroy the disc. Either way it sucks for someone.

This just open a can of worms. So its a trade off... as you put it 1-4 have to out weigh just swapping disc. It whatever the bigger problem for you.

They would have to redesign the system, only way i see it working if they have 2 version of games. I do not see any other way it would work.

2) Not true. Every game will be available digitally.

Not first day release games...

3) Find someone with the disc, install the game on your hard drive, then buy a game license digitally from the store. Boom, you've just saved yourself from having to download the game while having all of the benefits of a digital version.

LOL...you make it sound so easy...too bad there's this thing called reality...maybe I should post a wanted ad on Craigslist to borrow game discs...:LOL:

But yeah a "digital license" is a cool idea but who's selling these licenses? Can I buy them from Walmart or Amazon?

Not first day release games...

LOL...you make it sound so easy...too bad there's this thing called reality.:LOL:

But yeah a "digital license" is a cool idea but who's selling these licenses? Can I buy them from Walmart or Amazon?

On the Xbox One and PS4, every game will be available digitally. Period.

Obviously Microsoft and Sony are selling the licenses. Like I said, if you want to buy and sell used games, no one is stopping you, but for people who would rather have a digital copy and not worry about discs, that path is clearly the future. And both Microsoft and Sony have shown they are willing to push sales to generate revenue for 3rd party publishers so you shouldn't make the assumption that a 4 year old game will remain $59.99 forever.

News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Not on day of the game's release

Nope.

Microsoft:
In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release.

Source: http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

Sony:
We're shifting our platform more and more to the digital side – PS4 will be similar to PS Vita in that every game will be available as a digital download, and some will also be available as a disc.

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2013/feb/22/ps4-shuhei-yoshida-interview

Day One Digital clearly works with the PS Vita, 60% of all games purchased are digital downloads. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see rapid uptake for console games as well. Maybe 30% to start of with. Retailers can't be happy, I haven't pre-ordered any games with my Xbox One or PS4 because I am buying all of my games digitally.

X1 (& PS4) games are still listed at £55. I hope that's place holder for the familiar £40 that new Xbox360 releases go for.

That solution only works if it for everyone. It get really messy once you have an opt in.

Its all or nothing.

You opt in to have the game installed and now you sell it to someone that didnt opt in and doesnt even have internet. Now you have the game and sold it to someone else. So either it works or somehow they make a system that destroy the disc. Either way it sucks for someone.

This just open a can of worms. So its a trade off... as you put it 1-4 have to out weigh just swapping disc. It whatever the bigger problem for you.

They would have to redesign the system, only way i see it working if they have 2 version of games. I do not see any other way it would work.

I thought the same way but while reading the thread here, an idea popped up:

In the old system, the discs acted like digital downloads, only you were able to "download" to your drive much faster. This allowed them to do away with discs once the game was installed, however, this strictly meant they need constant verification on a system.

This was quite good for people that is not bothered with the 2nd hand market. There are quite many people who only buy their game new and never sell them. That said, 2nd hand market is an important aspect in gaming business. So I'm in the camp that supports the reversal.

There could be hybrid approach so after the initial buying of the disc, there could be an option:
Install As Digital Download

When you install as digital, you'll be directed to pay for the content so you can throw away / sell the disc. This way, after the initial buy, I can lend the disc to anyone, if they want to keep the game, they can use the install as a digital download, keep the game.

If I sell the game to someone, I can put that money towards my "install as digital option" if I want to keep the game, for example.

This could be moved to "business approach" or another thread.

I thought the same way but while reading the thread here, an idea popped up:

In the old system, the discs acted like digital downloads, only you were able to "download" to your drive much faster. This allowed them to do away with discs once the game was installed, however, this strictly meant they need constant verification on a system.

This was quite good for people that is not bothered with the 2nd hand market. There are quite many people who only buy their game new and never sell them. That said, 2nd hand market is an important aspect in gaming business. So I'm in the camp that supports the reversal.

There could be hybrid approach so after the initial buying of the disc, there could be an option:
Install As Digital Download

When you install as digital, you'll be directed to pay for the content so you can throw away / sell the disc. This way, after the initial buy, I can lend the disc to anyone, if they want to keep the game, they can use the install as a digital download, keep the game.

If I sell the game to someone, I can put that money towards my "install as digital option" if I want to keep the game, for example.

This could be moved to "business approach" or another thread.

Such a system still requires all discs to check in before playing the game to see if someone else has installed it before.

What's going to happen is you will see "encouragement" screens to buy a license of the game (full price of course) after you've installed the game on your system so that you can sell, trade, give away the game to someone else. And even though you have the disc already, for some percentage of people, they may just end up buying it again anywayand get rid of the physical disc. I expect this to happen a lot with multiplayer games where swapping discs really slows down momentum. And with this, they've created a digital copy from a physical one that can't be traded in, a HUGE benefit to publishers that are worried about used games.

Such a system still requires all discs to check in before playing the game to see if someone else has installed it before.

What's going to happen is you will see "encouragement" screens to buy a license of the game (full price of course) after you've installed the game on your system so that you can sell, trade, give away the game to someone else. And even though you have the disc already, for some percentage of people, they may just end up buying it again anywayand get rid of the physical disc. I expect this to happen a lot with multiplayer games where swapping discs really slows down momentum. And with this, they've created a digital copy from a physical one that can't be traded in, a HUGE benefit to publishers that are worried about used games.

Actually, no, the system I propose does not need to check in at all. If the discs are present, standard disc based DRM is active, disc works offline. Whether the game was installed on another console doesn't matter because for that installation to work without the disc, the person should have already paid for the digital license.But you can turn it into a digital download for a fee (and most probably, at suggested retail price like in your example. Your example is pretty much the same as my proposal. Basically, you'll have turned your disc into a digital purchase. Great for avoiding download times if any of your friends has bought the original disc, and just like you say, even if you are the original buyer, you can turn that into a digital download and then sell the disc, "subsidizing" the cost of turning it into a digital purchase. I tend to think this will happen after you want to keep the game but don't want to bother with a disc. I think it would be a perfect balance for publishers and consumers within the second hand market.

Back