Dead Rising 3 [XO]

Seems to be reviewing well enough. Some mention performance problems. Others, like Edge and Gameinformer, say it holds steady 30fps at all times after the day 1 patch.

That's good to hear. BTW here's a nice quality video of some gameplay. I think this is without the patch since the video is not new. Anyway that MegaMan X costume is cool.

I played the game today and it was a lot of fun. It initially appeared a lot more serious than I felt was needed, but mowing through a really impressive number of zombies, I forgot all about that.
I wanted to play Forza as well, but there was no time for that :(

Anyway, I think this is one of the titles to get if you are getting an Xbox One regardless

No discussion of this game post-launch yet? I'll start!

I played and largely enjoyed the first Dead Rising, but I never had the heart to deal with DR2 (the time limits basically requiring a FAQ to play just made it more effort than I was willing to put in). So in terms of broad appeal, relaxing that helped sell me on this one.

Now, there is still a time limit, but it's pretty long and only applies to the end of the game. I hope you keep collectables on a restart...

Anyway, game itself. Very, very good. I haven't really experienced any particularly noticeable frame rate drops, so maybe the day one patch helped?

The number of zombies onscreen is just incredible. Coming up to a road block and seeing thousands of Zombies on the other side never gets old. It's frequently tempting to try to murder them all, but there's a balance between zombie carnage and not running out of weapons (although there are several systems in place to make weapons easier to come by).

The general cycle of "stock up, traverse to mission, do mission, limp back to safe house, collect things all the while" actually reminds me a lot of the original Crackdown, which is a good thing (I loved that game). The craziness of the weapons and characters I think also owes a little to Saints Row.

So yeah, really enjoying it. Anyone else pick it up?

So yeah, really enjoying it. Anyone else pick it up?

I'm thoroughly enjoying it, and I agree the sense of scale it offers in the number of zombies on screen can be very impressive at times. This and State of Decay seem to sit at opposite ends of the zombie game spectrum. As ridiculous as this might sound, it's like an Arcade vs Simulation zombie game (apologies to Day Z). :LOL: In DR3 I can enjoy leaving the safety of a vehicle and traveling on foot to mow down zombies with combo weapons. I took no such chances in SoD. My only complaint is that some of the roadblocks appear to be there to force you to take a very long way around if you're in a vehicle or get out on foot. I think I can understand the motivation for that, but I don't like it all the same. Vehicles are also too vulnerable to my allies gun fire. I'd prefer a no friendly fire option for that.

I'm thoroughly enjoying it, and I agree the sense of scale it offers in the number of zombies on screen can be very impressive at times. This and State of Decay seem to sit at opposite ends of the zombie game spectrum. As ridiculous as this might sound, it's like an Arcade vs Simulation zombie game (apologies to Day Z). :LOL: In DR3 I can enjoy leaving the safety of a vehicle and traveling on foot to mow down zombies with combo weapons. I took no such chances in SoD. My only complaint is that some of the roadblocks appear to be there to force you to take a very long way around if you're in a vehicle or get out on foot. I think I can understand the motivation for that, but I don't like it all the same. Vehicles are also too vulnerable to my allies gun fire. I'd prefer a no friendly fire option for that.

I think if they didn't have the roadblocks, the roller hog would be super, super broken. Honestly, roadblocks kind of make the rest of the game work. It's frequently more convenient to just get out and hoof it, which means fighting zombies, which means burning through some of the durability on your weapons, which means not always having the best weapons at every moment.

If you could always just drive to the front door for every mission, they'd probably have had to balance that out by removing the ability to spawn weapons/vehicles, which would probably make the entire game a lot more frustrating. I appreciate the fact that I can always keep a couple really good weapons around without having to mess around with a lot of scavenging or sink points in to weapon upgrade abilities.

I heard it's good when played in short bursts but if you've played the last games then things get too familiar too fast.

if this isn't true, please let me know. I want to grab this game if I ever get an X1 : D

I never played much of DR2, so I can't comment on that. I think on its own, DR3 hands out new toys consistently enough to stay pretty entertaining. YMMV depending on how much you enjoy the core game play loop, though.

Tried the demo. Might be fun. I don't know.

About the visuals. The sharpening sucks, for sure. They should turn it off. The sharpening combined with the motion blur they use is really weird looking. You get this grainy image, and then suddenly it goes all soft and out of focus because of the blur. I don't like it. Also, the gamma in this game seems like it's messed up, for sure. Battlefield 4 looks great. This game looks washed out. When I start the game, the gamma adjuster is crushing black. I have to turn the gamma up a bunch of notches. Then the game just doesn't look colourful at all. Something is wrong. The other games I've played look great.

My tv and xbox are both set to limited range.

With the positive, but not ecstatic, reviews for this game, I didn't have high expectations.. But after a while in the game it is growing on me. This is a much better balanced game compared to its predecessors imo, which in turn makes it more fun and puts a lot more focus on the exploration aspects.
So far, this has been a very nice surprise.

Despite the weird visuals I'll probably get it when I've finished the last of my 360 games. Demo is pretty fun for messing around.

With the positive, but not ecstatic, reviews for this game, I didn't have high expectations.. But after a while in the game it is growing on me. This is a much better balanced game compared to its predecessors imo, which in turn makes it more fun and puts a lot more focus on the exploration aspects.
So far, this has been a very nice surprise.

Yup. I didn't play DR1, but tried out DR2 when it was free on gold and despite giving it a fair few of hours I just couldn't get into it too much - the difficulty curve wasn't there to really get me into it. However, I am absolutely loving DR3 by comparison and right now its basically pushed aside all my other games. I believe they have tweaked down the difficultly a little bit and made more items (weapons and food) somewhat more readily available, but its worked for me.

Yup. I didn't play DR1, but tried out DR2 when it was free on gold and despite giving it a fair few of hours I just couldn't get into it too much - the difficulty curve wasn't there to really get me into it. However, I am absolutely loving DR3 by comparison and right now its basically pushed aside all my other games. I believe they have tweaked down the difficultly a little bit and made more items (weapons and food) somewhat more readily available, but its worked for me.

Good to know. One of the games I will definitely pick up when I eventually get an X1. Loved the 1st and haven't tried the 2nd or its extension even though I also got it free from the Games for Gold program. One of my backlog games I'll eventually get to (next up is Bioshock Infinite).

With nextgen comes http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-released-ahead-of-operation-broken-eagle-dlc nextgen-sized patches. I guess we're going to have to get used to this.
8 years later and things are getting worse. I thought PS3 was especially bad in that regard and I am surprised at the fact that Xbox 360 had very light patches, mostly taking up 3-4MB of space, and now this from the same company which created the X360....

Of course connections have improved a lot ever since so it's not the problem it was, but still pretty bad. :???:

I hope this doesn't become the norm, 13GB is an entirely new game, or two, or three, or four...

You have to take into account that net neutrality might die too, and if that happens that's going to be a total mess.

http://bgr.com/2014/01/17/net-neutrality-gaming-effects/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheBoyGeniusReport+%28BGR+%7C+Boy+Genius+Report%29

LOL, 13 gb Patch ! what have they put in there, another campaign :p ! I was very happy that BF patches came down from 2gb each in BF3 to Mbs in BF4 but these guys have broken all records !

I hope they are not putting in the DLC for everyone, ala steam, even if u don't want it.

It also includes content for DLC 3 and 4. I wonder if there's an option to not download the DLC content, and only get the patch update.

Regards,
SB

Back