Mechwarrior Online (MWO) Free to Play "done right"

Acert93

Artist formerly known as Acert93
Legend
EDIT: I am putting builds I like and found effective or those I have from friends.

MY BUILDS

JAGERMECH

STD Builds

STD 300, 394/422 armor, 2 x AC5, 2 x MLas, AMS, 8 tons ammo
VAR: Swap in MG (3 tons total) -- like this 2 x AC/5, 4 x MG, 2 x MLas.

STD 300, 376/422 armor, 2 x AC5, 4 x MLas, 6 tons ammo

XL Builds

XL 255, 384/422 armor, 2 x Gauss, 7 tons ammo
VAR: tweak in a small laser

XL 300, 368/422 armor, 3 x AC/5, 2 x MLas, AMS, 7 tons ammo

XL 255, 400/422 armor, 3 x AC/5, 2 x MLas, AMS, 9 tons ammo

XL 300, 352/422 armor, 2 x AC/20, 7 tons ammo (82.2kph with speed tweak)
VAR: Swap some ammo for MLas. Swap in AMS

XL 255, 384/422 armor, 2 x AC/20, 9 tons ammo

XL 300, 400/422 armor, 1 x AC/20 (6 tons ammo), 1 x AC/2 (4 tons), 2 x MLas, AMS

XL 340, 400/422 armor, 1 x AC/20, 4 x MLas, AMS, 9 tons ammo (93.2khp with speed tweak)

I tried 4xAC/5 and 4xAC/2 rigs. The former was a paper mech. The later generates 8 heat per second and overheats in 5 seconds.

BACKJACK
STD 245, 272/306 armor, 8 x MLAS, 9 x DHS
VAR: Tweak with TAG, AMS (the two torso MLas are mainly for alpha)

XL 295, 272/306 armor, 2 x ER LLas, 4 x MLas, 5 DHS

CATAPULT

XL 255, 400/422 armor, 2 x LRM20, 2 x MLas, AMS, 1 x JJ, 9 tons ammo
VAR: Swap in TAG; Swap in XL 250 and add 3 more tons LRM ammo and a DHS

SPIDER

XL 255, 192/210 armor, 1 x ER LLas, 2 x MLas, 3 x JJ, ECM
VAR: Swap MLas for TAG; Swap ECM for AMS

JENNER

XL 300, 232/238 armor, 6 x MLas, 4 x DHS, 2 x JJ
VAR: Swap in AMS; Swap in TAG

XL 255, 215/238 armor, 2 x ER PPC, 1 x JJ

CENTERION

XL 300, 318/338 armor, 1 x AC/20, 2 x MLas (106.9kph with spead tweak)
VAR: I like getting more AC/20 ammo so lose a laser; AMS as needed; this is a light killer and capitalized on softened enemies in the end game

AWESOME

STD 250, 384/494 armor, 1 x ER LLas, 4 x LRM15+A, AMS, 7 tons ammo

Victor-9k
Gauss 3xER LLAS

Mechwarrior is back!

I have been enjoying the game so far (~35 rounds in) and have about 11M Cbills--almost enough to spec out an Assault class mech. While the game is incomplete it remains a lot of fun.

The biggest thing I have liked so far is the "Free to Play" seems really solid. This is what I wrote on Ars:

RE: MWO Free to Play model.

Good job PGI!

I am not a target consumer for paid MMOs (I cannot stand the concept). I tend to play the games I like a lot and as a matter of personal choice don't like the concept of $10-$20 month to play a $50 game. If have friends and family who pay every month for games they go months without playing in fear of losing their loot. It isn't enough they paid for the game up front and then a monthly service fee even when not playing but also are tied to paying in fear they will lose what they earned/paid for. I was also spoiled with Quake, Battlefields, CoDs, Halos, etc.

The Free-to-Play games have been, in general, a big turn off. Play-to-Win is more like it.

MWO seems to strike a good balance. Existing gamers know all of this but for noobs like myself who may reading I thought I would express my pleasant surprise at MWO's model. As it stands the following are things you can buy with real money and why you may want to buy them:

- "Bays" for mechs. You start with 4 empty bays/slots to hold purchased mechs. If you want to have more than 4 mechs without selling an existing mech you have to buy more slots with real money.
- "Premium" time. 50% increase in post match payout of ingame fake money (Cbills)
- "Hero" Mechs. Cool variants, none appear "instant win" or even "better" but many have a 10% payout bonus
- Visual Customization. Cockpit items, paint jobs, etc.

You can buy normal mechs and weapons with real money, but it is not required. The fact is you gain Cbills (ingame money) at 66% of the speed of those paying for Premium time, which is not an abusive difference.

Further your first 25 matches (~4-5 hours) nets about 10M Cbills (enough to trick out a Light or Medium mech). It seems the game is balances where 10-20 hours of gameplay acrues enough Cbills to buy another mech. This is about the amount of time to master the mech (if not a tad slow, to compell the impatient to spend real money but not so abusive as to feel like a very, very, very long grind).

One thumb up for not being Play-to-Win.

Another thumb up for no abusive grinding (BF3 had worse grinding IMO!).

PGI has a pretty balanced model. For like $15 you can get 6 more bays--so 10 custom mechs and 4 trial mechs. Not a bad payout to get a nice garage. Premium time at $15/mo seems steep to me at a mere 50% gain, but then again wasn't WoW $15 forever? And while 50% is low I couldn't imaging it being much higher without tilting the table toward paying players too much.

The "Pay Only" mechs are quite expensive. But again, not required, and the game has a long list of free models with a handful of variants of each. The pay models are a good carrot for those invested in the game and have cash to burn. Again, not required to have fun or to do well.

Basically cheap gamers can play for free and experience all of the core game and explore almost all the content. Maps, weapons, gameplay modes, and all classes and most models of mechs are absolutely FREE. Once you "drop" into a battle all the "Real Money" items become irrelevant.

On the flip side as long as PGI makes a good game, a good game people want to play, and continue to roll out content that core users want to pay for, MWO sets up to actually make more than the $50 a Battlefield or CoD would make from a flat fee'd user. If MWO hooks me like BF'42 (which I bought multiple copies + all 3 expansions + DC) and I play it 1000+ hours I could easily see spending $100+ on the game. It has the potential to offer the value 6 months down the road that instead of $50 for a new game I could see a MWO fan spending $50 on a title they already "own" to expand an experience the gamer already likes and wants more of. Many, many, many times I wished I had more content of my favorite games instead of some other new lesser title.

I hope MWO works for PGI. I think the model is solid, but it really comes down to is MWO a good game and does it have appeal (enough tactical mech gamers out there?) / large enough potential userbase (I have 2x PCs that cannot play it--one an i7 laptop purchased last year) to succeed? If they can do BOTH they have an opportunity to be very, very successful.

That said I want to be able to start my own match with friends 2v2 or the like :( Can I pay for that game mode? ;)

----

The game looks good but is not refined yet performance wise (Crysis runs better). That said I run 13x7 with Medium settings (Particles, Environ, and Models Very High) with a 2GB GTX 600m and i7-3630qm laptop and get 35-55fps depending on the map (Canynon is in the 50s, maps with active snow are in the 30s, jump to higher 30s if Environment is switched to Medium).

I will post some good links soon as the games learning curve is crazy steep.

Yeah, I played the earlier beta releases. It had/has a lot of promise. Hope they've improved the UI/mechbay.

Have they implemented anything on the Inner Sphere map yet or is it still just joining random matches? I was a big fan of BT3025 back in the day, and I think a lot of that had to do with fighting for control over the galaxy. Their supposed plans for this with the impending Clan invasion had me interested initially, but I otherwise don't care for random MP battles.

A shame we can't just get a remake of MW2:Mercs (SP campaign). :p

If they provide a SP campaign or Co-op against enemy AI (like Warframe), I'd give it a try. I'm just really not interested in competitive multiplayer anymore.

Regards,
SB

Ban Bot

For those who want to play with me sometime click the spoiler for my name tag.

What are people using for voice chat? My friend uses Teamspeak but I have not downloaded it yet.

Also, how do others roll? I have yet to buy a mech so I have been testing them all. :love: the Assault Atlas!

I have found a couple sites with good aids.

http://mwomercs.com/game/training-grounds\
* The Official Testing Ground Aids for new users. Good intro

http://mechbuilds.com/
* This one is easy to read.

http://mwo.gamepedia.com/Main_Page
http://mwo.gamepedia.com/Crits_And_You_-_A_Brief_Guide
http://mwo.gamepedia.com/C-Bill
* Another approachable set of guides. The intro on CRIT as well as Economy/CBILLs is good.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/#weapon_ballistic
* Smurfy, the site all the good players ref for building and sharing mech builds

http://www.mechspecs.com/forum/
* Discuss and Rate builds

I have not build my first mech yet. I have ~11M Cbills.

The first problem is I have not decided on a role to play that I am good at/help the team. Then I have to choose a class. Then a model.

That brings to the second problem: getting my head around a) what is available in terms of loadouts and b) the balance. There are a number of factors like slots and hardpoints and how they related to how much ammo, heat sinks, and armor you can use. With my luck I would roll out a vehicle with NO heat aids or worse no armor :rolleyes:

So I may use mechbuild to use a suggestion once I get comfortable. A Stalker 3F or the Atlas D or D-DC sound nice although not sure if I want to brawl or snipe. I tend to play with the Atlas trial mech with LRMs and let them fly--but you need someone to spot for that. I LOVE the Gauss gun but it gets shot off ALL the time :( Do NOT like the lasers :(

I'm downloading this right now. My username is homerdog. See you on the battlefield. :cool:

My username is Squizzle

I haven't played Mech Warrior since #2 but I would be keen to play with a few people here.

Hmmm not quite sure how the friend's list works. It seems the only way to play games with a friend is to start a group with 4 or 8 people. No more. No less.

Am I wrong?

I tried to get NRP into a game yesterday but, like most of the IU, stinks.

On more positive news I have rolled a handful of 700dmg games in the last day as I have been testing autocannon setups. So far I have settled on the 2x AC/10 with 2x ML with AMS on my Jager. I have tried 4x AC/2, and 3x UAC/5 and AC/5s with both chain and alpha and it seems for me, although the 2x AC/10 has the lowest dps of the bunch, taking the 2.5seconds to get a really good shot in is more effective. Anyways, not every game goes well (still toss up too many stinkers where I die first) but I feel like I can contribute now--a lot fewer 80dmg games and first out :(

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=65&l=4ac6efa726d24e4ae8c99ffe6c21c69724879244

JM6-DD

I am considering an AC/20 (the reason I got the Jagermech to start with) **but** now that they added the heat penalty for Alpha (2 or more AC/20) I am not sure it is worth it. Kind of stinks because that is why I went with the Jagermech to begin with!

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=65&l=4ac6efa726d24e4ae8c99ffe6c21c69724879244
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=65&l=ed74ba1b7855f03e570cf7236b8f50264208b598

I'd join you if my laptop was able to play it. I don't think my mobile GPU would be up to the task and I'm right at the minimum for RAM and CPU.

I'd join you if my laptop was able to play it. I don't think my mobile GPU would be up to the task and I'm right at the minimum for RAM and CPU.

What do you have for a GPU Scott?

I am running this on a GTX 660M with 2GB on all Very High or Medium at 1650x900 and it runs well enough.

What do you have for a GPU Scott?

I am running this on a GTX 660M with 2GB on all Very High or Medium at 1650x900 and it runs well enough.

I think it's a 9600M GT, probably with only 512MB of VRAM.

I think my laptop is about 5 years old now.

Hmmm yeah. You could try? 720p all low? I see a number of posts about people running Crysis 2 with 9600M GPUs at 720 with high settings.

Hmmm yeah. You could try? 720p all low? I see a number of posts about people running Crysis 2 with 9600M GPUs at 720 with high settings.

Don't worry. This thing is on its last legs. The screen goes mental and everything that's black starts flickering green. It overheats badly. The integrated GPU is dead, so I have to leave it using the 9600M GT, which kills the battery. Some of the keys have fallen off. I'd say there's a good chance I have something new within the next 12 months.

When/if you look for a new laptop be patient. I got a good deal with a 1080p 15" i7-36030qm (4 core 8 thread 2.4GHz with boost to 3.2GHz) with a GTX 660M GPU w/ 2GB GDDR5 for just over $700. BUT since then I saw a Toshiba 17" with a 770M (2x the GPU performance) for just over $900. My wife is standing right here so I won't say I would have bought that... ok, she left. Yeah, I would have bought that ;) Of course if my budget was $900 I would have looked more seriously at a desktop. As I needed every component and wanted some mobility at $700 what I got was pretty good.

All I get when I start the game is a windowed-mode black box with some American bird telling me that this was achieved by NVIDIA.

Well I noticed I kept getting killed by engine shots so I changed up my Jagermech JM6-DD.

First is I WISH I had an JM6-S so I could go with 4 Medium Lasers. At 1 Ton each @ 5pts damage 4 of these bad boys can alpha 20pts every 3 seconds with 16 heat (set these on chain fire for better heat management). Anyways here is why MLs are great and why I am kicking myself over the 6-S:

**I have been told this repeatedly so I will pass it along: MLs are the best weapon in the game. 1 Ton, 1 Slot, 5 dmg, 3 second cool down, 4 Heat, 270m full damage range and 540m reach. Can shoot up to 7 before getting the penalty. If your mech has the hardpoints getting 4-6 MLs for 4-6 tons makes a lot of sense when you consider AC/2s are 6 tons w/o ammo. 4dps for the AC/2 so up to 12 damage in 3 seconds and 6 heat and more range but at the cost of a minimum of 7 tons and 2 slots. SRM2s and SMR4s straddle the MLs in most categories but run 2-3 tons for a single launcher + 1 Ton ammo with lower range and a slightly longer cool down. Bang for buck MLs are a great deal. Check out the specs.**

That said this is what I am rolling with today and doing a lot better:

Engine: 300 Standard IN; 260XL OUT. I was getting side shot too much AND it was too slow. It gave me a LOT of tonnage to work with but left me exposed. On the plus side I am 10kph faster AND turn much quicker.

Endo (saves 3 tons lose 14 slots), Ferro Firbrous (saves a ton+ lose 14 slots), and Double HS.

Ballistics: 2x AC/5s + 150 ammo + 4 MGs w/ 1 Ton ammo IN; 2x AC/10s OUT. I lose some punch but I gain rate of fire and range. This was the cost of going to STANDARD engines.

2x MLs.

AMS out. Could not afford the 2 tons for AMS+Ammo and have enough AC/5 ammo as I was running out. I had to decide: 4x MGs at 3 tons or AMS? MGs are good against annoying lights and are great to crit. If I stick close to cover, ECM, and stay back like I should and not wander into the open AMS, while nice, left me less punchy. The fact a single AMS doesn't knock down all the LRMs made me ditch it.

I made sure to keep Ammo out of the Torsos. Someone pointed out ammo is used Head > Center Torso > Left Torso > Left Arm > Right Torso > Right Arm. I tried to keep that in mind as I will shoot AC/5 ammo first.

If I had the JM6-S I would drop the MGs and go with 4x MLs and for the extra floating ton either more ammo or another Heat Sink or a little more AC5 ammo. 2x AC/5 + 4xMLs would have a 30 pt Alpha every 3 seconds with an extra 10pt AC5 volley in between. Pushing out out 70 potential damage in two Alpha volleys if all shots are on would be enough to limb some heavies or core some lights.

On an unrelated note I got MW Mercs to run online finally. DL'd the MXT and Game Files from Atomic Gamer and then used GameRanger to start a game. I guess MekTek had a fall out and is pushing Heavy Gear and their server no longer works. Anyways just did a game with my son and it plays similar to MWO--just not as pretty ;)

I think it was because smith and tinker owned the rights to mechwarrior 4 and allowed mektek to release, then smith and tinker either got bought out of went under

Back