Are the rechargeable Xbox One batteries li ion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're referring to the handheld controller, didn't the presentation suggest it was standard AAs, like the current 360 controller...?

I know that they're aa.Guess the rechargeable aa li ion batteries, plus charger, can be purchased separately.

Since the controller hooks up with standard mini USB this time around, don't you think the charger's simply integrated (like with the 360 pad) and takes regular NiMH AAs...? Having to fiddle with an external charger would be very annoying and awkward, swapping battery packs in and out etc.

No, they are doing the same thing as they did with the 360. Standard controller comes with a AA battery pack. But you can purchase separately a Plug & Play Charging Kit or buy the controller with the Plug & Play Charging Kit. And yes, it's Lithium Ion...

Engadget quoting MS Press Release said:
Xbox One Play & Charge Kit. This kit includes a lithium ion rechargeable battery pack
that fits inside the Wireless Controller as well as a charging cable that connects from the
Controller to the console. Gamers can play on and on without having to buy a single
disposable battery. The new Play & Charge Kit charges twice as fast as its Xbox 360
counterpart and charges during gameplay or when the console is in standby mode. The
Kit is available for standalone purchase or as part of the Wireless Controller with Play
& Charge Kit bundle.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/10/xbox-one-play-and-charge-kit-chat-headset/

Tommy McClain

No, they are doing the same thing as they did with the 360. Standard controller comes with a AA battery pack. But you can purchase separately a Plug & Play Charging Kit or buy the controller with the Plug & Play Charging Kit. And yes, it's Lithium Ion...
http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/10/xbox-one-play-and-charge-kit-chat-headset/

Tommy McClain

Why is it so difficult for them to make a rechargable controller with Li Ion batteries inside ? AAs is sooooooooooooooo 2000s.

Bad design choice.... or is it just $$$$ to sell you an extra Li Ion battery pack ?

Why is it so difficult for them to make a rechargable controller with Li Ion batteries inside ? AAs is sooooooooooooooo 2000s.

Bad design choice.... or is it just $$$$ to sell you an extra Li Ion battery pack ?

Different strokes for different folks. I like to be given choice. Sometimes it's easier to just throw on another battery pack(AA or rechargeable) without having to hook up the charging cable. Anyway, they give you 3 choices: 1) Controller for a lower price with AA batteries. 2) Get #1 but also purchase the Plug & Play Charge kit now or later when it's easy for you. 3) Controller for a premium price that includes the Plug & Play Charge Kit.

What's to stop you from going with #3 now? True it won't come in the XB1 box, but oh well.

Tommy McClain

How can it not be about money?

I prefer AA batteries. I can buy a 100 (!) pack of store brand AA batteries from Lowe's (that testing shows to be basically as good as energizers) for 20 bucks. The brick looks like this :LOL:

100021554_0_9999_med_v1_m56577569830656830.jpg

I do that and I'm good with AA's for literally, years. And can still give away plenty on Christmas morning for toys and whatnot. They last a good while in Xbox controllers.

People like to argue this passionately, but for me, rechargeable batteries are just a big hassle. Much easier to just pop new ones in all devices, not just Xbox. At that price it's no problem.

When I posted about that on neogaf, I got criticized for "harming the environment" :LOL:

I'd rather have mass produced batteries that I can buy anywhere as an option. I think the 360 batteries option is the perfect solution, you can use Lion if you want, or nicads or alkaline.

What advantage does having them built in provide? You lose the ability to easily switch to fully charged batteries.

They could be managing risks. Same for their off-the-shelf external power supply, the simple fan design, and the large enclosure.

Li-ion charging circuit are not easy to make safe and reliable, specially when your company doesn't have the in-house expertise. Even Apple had issues with badly designed charging circuits, recalls, overheating etc.... Imagine a recall of the entire stock of worldwide retail consoles, controllers, and all controllers in the hands of consumers, that would be very bad news. A recall of an optional Li-Ion charger wouldn't be a big deal.

They could be managing risks. Same for their off-the-shelf external power supply, the simple fan design, and the large enclosure.

Li-ion charging circuit are not easy to make safe and reliable, specially when your company doesn't have the in-house expertise. Even Apple had issues with badly designed charging circuits, recalls, overheating etc.... Imagine a recall of the entire stock of worldwide retail consoles, controllers, and all controllers in the hands of consumers, that would be very bad news. A recall of an optional Li-Ion charger wouldn't be a big deal.

they had no issues with the 360 controllers.

The ps3 controller is sealed so you'd have to open it up and mess with it to change the battery.

I like the 360 controller because I could just swap out a battery pack or worse comes to worse throw in aa batteries.

Can we now have included a rechargeable battery pack and USB cord.?

And also get rid of Kinect and add a headset?

And cut the price to $299, since it's a inferior console to PS4?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we now have included a rechargeable battery pack and USB cord.?

And also get rid of Kinect and add a headset?

And cut the price to $299, since it's a inferior console to PS4?

why would u want to replace good things ?

Also inferior is in the eye of the beholder. The 360 was also the infieor console and we saw how that worked out.

I'd rather have mass produced batteries that I can buy anywhere as an option. I think the 360 batteries option is the perfect solution, you can use Lion if you want, or nicads or alkaline.

What advantage does having them built in provide? You lose the ability to easily switch to fully charged batteries.

agreed ... also the X1 will allow you to plug in a usb cored to play as a corded controller until you can replace batteries (like in middle of mp game for example or if batteries are nowhere to be found)

When I posted about that on neogaf, I got criticized for "harming the environment" :LOL:
Not intending to derail the thread or anything, but you denying that manufacturing shit whose only purpose in life is to be thrown away doesn't harm the environment...? There's significant amounts of metals, chemicals and stuff in batteries, a lot of resources that are basically just wasted due to being single-use only. For how long exactly do you expect it to be viable to continue doing that (making "disposable" batteries and such) for the convenience of lazy people like you? May I remind you, the earth's resources are finite and this is the only home we have. We should make the best of it, and this isn't it.

One of the few things that's gotta be worse than throwaway batteries are throwaway cellphones I read some years back that some idiots wanted to introduce on the market, like those disposable film cameras you could buy for when you went on vacation and forgot your camera or somesuch (back in that era when film cameras were still relevant, that is.) Not sure if the phones ever made it into production though, I sure hope not.

I would agree if battery recycling didn't exist. I used to always use rechargeables for that reason (not that I had much use for AA/AAAs) but now I'm not too fussed as stores have drop-in battery recycling collection.

yes, I'd rather stick to regularly rotated Eneloops. I hate internal batteries because I don't want to disassemble controllers. I hate how phones are moving to internal batteries that are not swappable.

why would u want to replace good things ?

Also inferior is in the eye of the beholder. The 360 was also the infieor console and we saw how that worked out.
IIRC the PS3 / X360 were harder to compare, being completely different and all, and even then, most people here knew that they would be roughly the same or even picked the X360 as performing better in most cases. This time they have very similar hardware and are easier to compare, aren't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back