Rancid's buying a PS3 today - What does he need?

So it looks to me like there's a million different bundles out there, with the largest price discrepancies being the result of the difference between a 250 GB or 500 GB HDD.

It seems pointless to me to spend anything to get a 500 GB HDD because they're user replaceable, correct? I can upgrade at any time?

I was looking at an Epic Mickey 2 bundle for $259 that includes a move controller and a PSEye. Unfortunately, the reviews on EM2 are pretty abysmal so the game isn't adding any value. Is that still a good deal for the 250 GB console and move/eye?

It also appears that the HDMI cable doesn't come included with any of the PS3 console packages, so I need to purchase that separately. Is that correct? It also looks like I have to purchase a headset and microphone separately as well, right? Although, I guess any bluetooth headset will marry to it, so I can use my cellphone headset?

The main hurdle for me going to a PS3 is the controller. I hate it. I thought I saw a couple 'generic' controllers for the PS3 that are essentially configured like an Xbox controller. Does anybody have experience with any of these? Do they work, worth buying, etc?

Finally, I'm going to pick up Last of Us along with the console, are there any other games I should be looking at?

Thanks!

you can upgrade but the HDD content cant be transferred and you cant plug the old HDD to other PS3. (correct me if im wrong, i dont have a ps3, i only borrow my friend ps3)

HMDI, yes, need to buy
Handsfree from cellphone works.
you can sue xbox 360 gamepad on PS3 (but need USB converter, http://www.cronusdevice.com/ )

games other than the last of us
Ni no Kuni
Uncharted series (same dev as TLoU)

EDIT
chronus usb converter are EXPENSIVE. if you wnt cheaper, you can get generic chinese things
http://dx.com/p/xbox-360-controller-adapter-for-ps3-100cm-cable-51556
and it usually feature some nasty surprise

Last edited by a moderator:
PSN plus, instant multiple free games. Uncharted 3, Deus Ex and XCOM.

Forgot LBP2, Infamous2 and some psn games.

You can upgrade the HDD, and you can use any old external HDD to backup all your existing content. Or if you use Playstation Plus (highly recommended) you can have your save games upload to the cloud automatically overnight (or manually whenever) so you can easily access them after you've switched HDDs. 250 will likely be enough though considering how late you enter the market. And you can actually delete stuff ;)

Epic Mickey bundle sounds ok, but yeah if you can get it with another game ... Otherwise you can maybe trade / sell the game. There are bound to be parents that want to buy it for their kids. Me controller for me is one of this gens highlight, so definitely recommend going for that, and get a second move controller eventually.

If you get Paystation Plus you can use Move right away for games like Infamous 2 and LBP 2, and Killzone 3 is also highly recommended with it. Tumble is an ok game, but an amazing tech-demo, as a game its much more fun in co-op (you can play the whole thing together, even single player campaign). Sports Champions is also very good (meh looks and UI, but amazing gameplay, duelling and table tennis will blow your mind)

Uncharted series definitely highly recommended. Tonne of other great stuff, depending on what you've already played. What games have you liked so far?

Personally I would recommend trying to get used to Dual Shock 3 - it's a great controller and the one everything is designed for - and you can allways get a third party controller later.
Alot of 360-dudes likes the Power Pro A Elite controller, remember to read some reviews.
Most third party PC-controllers work - but it also needs PS3-specific features such as six-axis. :-/
Maybe realtrigger-accesories might be good for you.

As for games, remember to look into platform-exclusive games such as Yakuza 3 and 4, Gravity Crash and Oddworld: Strangers Wraith HD, Valkie Chronicles, Tokyo Jungle.
In addition check out the cool first-party properties wich you've probably not played if you havn't had PS3 before, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted, Valkyrie Chronicles, Infamous, Motorstorm, Journey, etc.
PSN+ is pretty fantastic value aswell.. :)

Thanks for all your replies, to answer the favorite games question: Borderlands series, Bioshock series, Red Dead Redemption, Crackdown, Civ Revolutions, Dead Island... and I'm having a difficult time thinking of any more right now.

Pretty much co-op shooters are my favorite, followed by open world sandbox types of games.

Try inFamous, especially the Festival of Blood DLC.

Also Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction, and A Crack in Time.

Edit: U3 co-op is pretty fun too.

Definitely get PSN+. It's worth the cost of one game to get several and while the lineup changes from month to month, once you've added a free PSN+ game to your PSN Store cart you can download it at any time for as long as your PSN+ membership is active.

It's a no-brainer. Some of the system-level features that are added for PSN+ members make using the system more bearable, too, as they mitigate some of the aggravation that is caused by some of the questionable design choices made by Sony's GameOS architects. Wait until you experience the number of steps required between downloading a game and actually being able to play it.

Come on, now. Don't discourage me. I'm already dreading the wait between hooking up the PS3 and being able to actually use it.

It's true ! 8^d

You will likely have a ton of things to update.

May be subscribe to 3 months of PS+. You should be able to get the instant game library (read: free games). 3 month is the shortest subscription these days.

Thanks for all your replies, to answer the favorite games question: Borderlands series, Bioshock series, Red Dead Redemption, Crackdown, Civ Revolutions, Dead Island... and I'm having a difficult time thinking of any more right now.

Pretty much co-op shooters are my favorite, followed by open world sandbox types of games.

I think you'll like inFamous I did love it but it isn't Crackdown.

I'll keep my comments about PS3 downloads/updates to myself but you can infer from my "silence"; I'll just say it's different than what you're used to (you may hear often that "maybe it's just your internet"). For you, I'd probably highly recommend PS+ since you're so late in the PS3 game...I say probably since you may have played many of the games on the other device and the selection.

Well, that was fun! I got as far as "select your language and hit start to continue" and hitting the start button does absolutely nothing at all!

Do I really need to read the manual to hook this thing up? I guess so.

...sigh

I always kinda envy some hypothetical guy that buys a console late in a gen.

He gets so many good games, many of them for crazy cheap too!

None of the whole dry spell for first 2-3 years thing...

Is your controller wired to the PS3 ?

Yes, apparently when they say "hit start" (or actually show the start arrow) what they really mean is "Hit X".

Why you have to set date and time on a console connected to the internet, I'll never know.

So far, I'm downloading my first system update which is great because it tells you can't do anything until you go to system settings and select "system update". Except there is no "system update" option in the menu. There's an option for turning on "automatic system updates", which after you click on it, it tells you it is exclusively for PSN+ members and asks you if you want to sign up.

If you decline, then it boots you back to the menu and "automatic system updates" is replaced with "system updates".

So far, I'm not finding this to be the most user friendly of systems.

But I'm a trooper, I'll fight my way through it. :)

On an unrelated side-note that I might as well share as my PS3 downloads its updates, the guy at the store asks "Don't you want to wait for the PS4?" I told him I was waiting for the One, but after they backtracked on their policies, I wasn't interested in buying a less powerful PS4, so I figured I might as well grab a PS3 and check it out.

He tells me has both the PS3 and the 360, he likes the PS3 better and the only time he plays the 360 is when he wants to play with his friends because they all have 360s and Live. But he plays the PS3 whenever he's just playing by himself. He's not the first person to tell me that. Another reason why MS not being able to work out (or if they can, properly communicate it) a way for 360 users and friends lists to transfer to the One and communicate together is yet another huge blunder for their next gen console.

yeah on PS3 need extra patience.

but after you get accustomed to its unique behavior, it have great games to enjoy :D

yeah on PS3 need extra patience.

but after you get accustomed to its unique behavior, it have great games to enjoy :D

Well, I signed up for a year of PSN+, and I'm currently downloaded Last of Us (store was totally sold out, but the salesdude told me I could just download it when I got home), and it's telling me it will take anywhere between an hour and half to two hours.

But it seems to be downloading to my console. So the only thing that is going into my "cloud" PSN+ account will be my saved games? So I can't play LofU on somebody else's PS3 if I log into it as my account, correct?

I'm just confused about that bit because I thought people said that feature of the One was something currently offered by the PS3.

Back