Are you going to *change* your platform of choice going into next-gen?

Are you going to change your platform of choice going into next-gen?

• I own a Sony console and will get neither

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I own a Nintendo console and will change to Xbox One

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Been with Xbox since 2002, can't conceivably see me ever buying anything else. Unfortunately I have other priorities & less disposable income. I'll be waiting for a price drop, maybe in time for Halo 5?

Personally considering the slant in this forum, I think pretty much every poll will be biased to the Playstation and/or technically more capable devices. Not one of them have surprised me yet.

Tommy McClain

Yup, longtime Xbox fan going to switch sides back to PS4 (my first console was a PS1).

Having significantly less power and being unable to borrow/lend games or sell them on eBay makes the system quite unattractive to me.

I don't watch TV either, nor have a cable box so that's not really a plus.

As for games, this gen Sony had better 1P exclusives (while MS had some great 3P exclusives early on in the gen, like Mass Effect, Bioshock but they became multiplat). They really invested into 1P development and have a bevy of very talented devs, wheras MS mostly closed down its studios and is now scrambling to build AAA devs overnight.

They also have Rare churning out Kinect titles which is very disappointing, I thought Viva Pinata was cute and Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts was one of my favourite games of this gen (it was just so idiosyncratic).

The only exclusive franchises I really care for on Xbox are Halo, Forza and Gears.
But both Halo and to a lesser degree Gears are starting to overstay their welcome out with MS constantly churning out games in each series.

And I mainly play Halo for multiplayer, which 343 frankly stuffed up with H4.
Perhaps Bungie's Destiny will play more like Halo than Halo.

Forza is great though, I hope GT7 is much more user friendly than previous GTs and not so unwieldy.

The other killer feature for PS4 will be Vita cross play which will be great for playing games when I have a few minutes spare or in bed.

Would have been interesting to see the result of Nintendo losing people this gen.
I used to be a big fan of Nintendo for 2 generations, and this will be my first generation without a Nintendo console. I "almost" bought a WiiU on launch.
I've added poll options for you. Choose wisely!

Wow! Only 33% are switching to PS4 on a tech oriented forum. That bodes very well for MS.

It would be really interesting to know how each of the current platforms marketshare is made up. I think during the PS2, Xbox and GameCube era, it was quite simple: PS2 pretty much extended on the market they built up with the PS, Xbox were made up of some PS2 or ex PS users as well as expanding the market bringing many PC-centric gamers to its console. GameCube, I would assume, catered predominently to many nostalgic Nintendo owners, coming from the N64.

The point is, back then, I think many bought into the Xbox brand because of its hardware capability. I would also think that Xbox users (many ex PC gamers) were more informed about hardware specs coming with a PC background, than perhaps PS2 users, them being a more casual crowd.

On PS3 and X360 - things changed. Nintendo went after the casual crowd and taking some loyal GameCube followers with them, while X360 positioned itself really well with a lower price, efficient hardware and lots of support and success in the US. PS3 came late, not really more powerful and at a significant higher price point. Result? I would think many PS2 users switched to X360, either because it was out early or because the top games were multi-platform. Maybe, Sony also lost a substantial part of their casual market back to Nintendo's Wii.

Along the way, Microsoft invested heavily in Kinect which from a tech point of view, is brilliant and not to be underestimated. Kinect is an integral part in Xbox One. What I am interested in, is if Kinect will allow Microsoft to grab some share of Nintendo's casual market (seeing that Wii-U isn't exactly hitting off). What I think hinders it, is the high price point. That will not matter much to the new targeted tech-orientated crowd that buy tablets and other hi-tech gadgets, although how much they are willing to buy a product that was predominently associated with games is left to be seen. On the other hand, and as this poll shows the trend to some extent, is that the more tech-orientated Xbox users that started supporting the platform on the first Xbox console due to hardware advantages and are predominently core-gamers, may consider to switch because the PS4 is likely to cater more to them.

IMO - the tricky part is - success attracts success, failure attracts failure. A slow start, negative publicity for either platform can have a long-term impact to the entire brandname. People react negatively to something that may have a shaky future-prospect like a product that isn't hitting off in sales - vice-versa, a product that sets selling records attracts more success because people feel they are buying something that must be good and is a good investment. To a large degree, both consoles will be probably supply limited within the first 6 months - but even on PS3 where that was the case, the slow-start at the high price-point was covered well in the media and surely must have caused damages in image in the long run. Sony perhaps was fortunate that the PS3 had bluray which won the optical disk run, so was able to keep selling them. If Bluray had lost in favor of hd-dvd, perhaps the PS3 as a whole would have been a clear failure instead.

What is my point? My point is - I think, Microsoft success with Xbox One is not a sure thing. PS4 seems it will be able to capture many of the core-gamers - a market that surely must be at least the size they sold the PS3 to. It seems, many PS3 owners will likely upgrade and perhaps gain some at the expense of Microsofts marketshare. On the other hand, Microsoft might be able to expand by catering to a larger casual, tech-orientated market. Maybe I'm wrong, and Microsoft will be able to capture both markets - the casual one AND the fanbase it sold to with the X360. If they do this, this could be a major success - although I think the price-point might be difficult and this time, they will not have a headstart of being the only next-gen console on the market exclusively (assuming they do both launch without delay and within each other).

It's going to be very interesting.

AzBat said:
Personally considering the slant in this forum, I think pretty much every poll will be biased to the Playstation and/or technically more capable devices. Not one of them have surprised me yet.

You might be right, which is precisely why I created this poll. In the other poll, you don't necessarely see if the people that are getting a PS4/Xbox One are already loyal Sony/Microsoft supporters. If lets say 60% on this forum are predominently PS3 users, then there's a good chance this quota +/- will follow over with each new generation - showing the 'bias' on this board.

This poll is interesting because we might see "who is changing". It doesn't tell us which console will sell more, but it might give an indication to how the marketshare might shift among the current owners. Of course, this poll does not show what new crowd the console might attract and sell to. But this is a specific technological forum with members that have been here for more than a console generation - even if we added the option "not a console owner and getting a PS4/X1", it probably wouldn't be clicked much because the members that are posting here are likely console owners already.

Last edited by a moderator:
My "platform of choice" is a one shot decision, so to me leaving a brand for another is irrelevant as brand has no impact on my choice. So far for this gen of consoles I'm undecided but I won't buy at launch anyway so I will see how the PC and consoles markets evolve, how hardware evolves, if there are new actors entering one way or another the gaming business, etc.

I'll wait it out, I'm too far behind my current gaming library to even consider a new system.

But since the Xbox One seems to be heavily focused on the Northern American market (TV, TV, TV...) and I don't need or will ever use a DVR, I am at least considering the new Playstation 4.

Wow! Only 33% are switching to PS4 on a tech oriented forum. That bodes very well for MS.

I think you've misread the poll. The results so far* - which are possibly meaningless - show that 65% of current MS customers intend to switch to PS4.

As long as the poll has been up the "switchers" have outnumbered the "stayers".

You're aware that it takes a *while* to download all that game data first, don't you? Even with reasonable fast ADSL2 we talk here about hours. So then you would have to walk around with your disc again initially or with your external usb storage.

Not really a concern. Most of my friends/family are on cable with 30mb down. Start a download and go do something else until downloaded.(eat lunch/dinner, hang out and talk, play some of their games).

Bonus...if they are on my family sharing aspect...then they would have already had the ability to play it so could have possibly downloaded it already.

I see a similar aspect for hotels to jump in. Have a few Xbox One's for rental (which would include your internet) and you don't have to bring a thing. No worries of losing/damaging your console or discs. Rent it, hook it up, sign in and start some downloads. Spend that day at the beach or whatever and that evening you can play some of your games....where you left off (cloud game saves). Week is over.....delete your gamertag off the console and turn it back in.

I have always had multiple platforms, SNEs+mega drive , ps1 + N64, GameCube + Ps2+ Xbox, ps3 + 360 ( no Wii it just didnt apeal)

This time after reading specs and having noticed how much Sony first party titles have improved and have such a wide range vs shooters and party games on 360 , I watched E 3 avidly, after watching Ms car crash I ordered a PS 4. I can't see myself getting a Xbox one. Nothing there interests me. I can live without Halo since destiny looks great.

Sony will really have to mess up to loose this gen in Europe and Asia IMHO

If I were to change my preference, THIS will go a million miles farther towards making it feasible than anything else...basically, positive DS4 reviews from people who dislike DS3/prefer 360 controller!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=589016

I'm still skeptical though because the sticks arent offset, which is so major. But perhaps the other minor changes (better triggers etc) add up, and every little bit to close the gap helps.

After E3 with XB1 showing so well on the gfx front though, I have little incentive. I've always said I'll buy a PS4 if I'm forced too, by it showing me a major power gap.

But then again, 100 bucks is a powerful incentive too.

Nintendo didn't do well here.
Having significantly less power and being unable to borrow/lend games or sell them on eBay makes the system quite unattractive to me.
It seems you can at least lend all of your games to 10 people on your shared/family list, and have access to their games.

If I were to change my preference, THIS will go a million miles farther towards making it feasible than anything else...basically, positive DS4 reviews from people who dislike DS3/prefer 360 controller!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=589016

I'm still skeptical though because the sticks arent offset, which is so major. But perhaps the other minor changes (better triggers etc) add up, and every little bit to close the gap helps.

After E3 with XB1 showing so well on the gfx front though, I have little incentive. I've always said I'll buy a PS4 if I'm forced too, by it showing me a major power gap.

But then again, 100 bucks is a powerful incentive too.
You buying a PS4 over X1 would be the biggest shock at B3D. :p

You buying a PS4 over X1 would be the biggest shock at B3D. :p

I wont buy it *over* a XB1 unless 900 gflops somehow was true.

But I've always said I'm open to buying one *in addition* if the gfx gap is wide enough.

399 is a lot more palatable than 499 though. Some psychological barrier I think...

If you plunk down for a year of Live and a game and tax you're over $650 at absolute minimum. Yeeks. Console gaming is getting more expensive from a hardware perspective, the edge it has over PC in that area seems less.

If you buy both plus games plus online you're well over a grand. i can build a truly monster pc for that.

pay online for both is going to make for a lot more one console owners. few are going to pay for online twice. it was easy this gen, you paid for your 360 and then ps3 online was free as a 2nd console.

I think this question really boils down to something simpler which teases out allegiances if you end up owning both: which system will you buy 3rd party games on?

I'm still on the fence and expect to remain there. I haven't owned 2 different platforms in any gen (does the 3DO and Genesis count as the same gen?). It seems a bit superfluous to me to own more than one. So let's see. Atari to original Nintendo (there was one of those dedicated 4-version Pong devices in there as well), to a Genesis, CD add-on for Genesis, 3DO, N64, Xbox then 360. Various PC's and a LONG time ago, a couple of Apple 2C's. I guess I'm not particularly brand loyal.

I really, really wanted to stay with the Xbox. I've loved them both so far and the controller is the best I have ever come across. (I rather hate the dual-shocks I have picked up, by comparison of course.)

MS continues to annoy me. Assume I value the chance to share with 10 "family" members digitally as more valuable than a guaranteed Redbox rental option and the potential problems with resale of discs. The XB may be considerably less powerful than the PS4 (I don't want an argument, that just seems to be the consensus based on pure flops.) The XB is handing publishers power I am not confident I trust them with. Even with the public denials from EA and Ubisoft. They made Kinect mandatory which both represents a hefty expense that wasn't spent on a more powerful system and a dedication to something I basically find a mostly insulting gimmick (their advertising here has really not helped.) It's a 100$ more expensive for a box that is substantially less capable where it is relevant to me. The sharing features are locked behind the Gold paywall, and Netflix services will stay there as well. Throw in the terribly managed PR announcement (that have already inspired "Let them Eat Cake/ buy a 360" Photoshops) and I just don't trust them at this point.

The problem? They have me with that controller. At what point does my decision become simply a justification to stay with MS because I don't want to switch controllers? At what point do they deserve to get punished for their attitude/ behavior? I actually do this. I punish EA to this day for problems that started in the late 90's. Activision gets none of my money, ever. Even if that means I don't play get to Play Diablo 3. This may take a hit with Bungie being under their umbrella now. Sega and Creative Assembly I tend to be very cautious about. That's just a small piece of what goes into my decision for games, much less everything else.

I'm really torn at this point, so it gets a wait and see. MS has certainly done enough to earn my ire at this point. Whether that holds or not only time will tell.

Nintendo didn't do well here.

It seems you can at least lend all of your games to 10 people on your shared/family list, and have access to their games.

Don't they all have to share an XBL family subscription plan or something?
I doubt MS are going to let any 10 people share all their games with each other without even requiring discs to be swapped.

I doubt MS are going to let any 10 people share all their games with each other without even requiring discs to be swapped.

I heard gold subscription is required to do the sharing. I guess it's also required on the receiving end.

I also don't know if it's a two way thing or not, like if you add a guy as your family member does it automatically use up his slot too.

I read the basic $60 Gold subscription provides the ability to be shared with your whole household. Family subscription no longer exists. They may be using that to provide for the game sharing. If all of you are sharing the same Gold account then all of you can share the same games.

Tommy McClain

That would make sense, it'd be far too good a feature if you could share games with any 10 people.

Having them tied to the same Gold account makes it problematic for people who aren't family to save money in this way - since only one person will be paying for (and so controlling) everyone's IDs.

Back