Battlefield 4 official discussion/thread. [PS4,XO,PS3,X360]

Having played both, KZ looks much better. I'm sure others will say Ryse does too. I'd say AC4 is also better looking, Open world, 1080, less aliasing, etc. You just get more your your money when you have 2x the time per frame.

I haven't played the other two (but have seen plenty of videos) but while AC4 is a great looking game, the PC version of it (which beats both console versions) doesn't even compete with BF3 on PC, nevermind 4. Maybe BF4 on the consoles just looks worse than BF3 on the PC.

Actually I take back the above, while AC4 may not compete with BF3 on a pure realism basis, it is one absolutely gorgeous game. A significant chunk of that gorgeousness can be attributed to the incredible art work though, just like all other AC games before it. This is after a 3 hour stint :)

Really? Best graphics to bf4? I always though KZSF looks much beyond what BF4 in every way! I meant he lighting is so so sublime in all those levels.
Can't wait for my ps4 to arrive on Monday ! Gotta check it out soon ! I hope my diaorrhia gets better by then :( !

Really? Best graphics to bf4? I always though KZSF looks much beyond what BF4 in every way! I meant he lighting is so so sublime in all those levels.
Can't wait for my ps4 to arrive on Monday ! Gotta check it out soon ! I hope my diaorrhia gets better by then :( !

If you've got a vita then everywhere is a gaming room!

Nothing derails threads faster than posting the title, Killzone, in an unrelated thread. It's like people have scripts running to see if that title gets mentioned.

I hate the fake reflections in BF4, unfortunately they are part of what make BF4 so impressive looking at a glance but when you observe that they are just baked cubemap on a specular surface rather than actually reflecting anything from the environment you see how it falls apart, also the lack of POM is disappointing.

yup, they use so many fake things but it cleverly used and adds to the immersion in "in your face" moments.

at least thats what i feel.
btw this method also heavily used on lots of CoD games and JRPG.

*ahem* Let's stop the game comparisons before it goes any further. It never ends well for the thread discussion.

BF4 is very close to becoming dead to me. It's 2014 and I am still encountering brutal rubber banding on many servers, a poorly functioning server browser, sporadic bullet sponge / invulnerability behaviour for enemy players, broken voice chat, audio drop outs and initial connection hangs. When it works well it is fun but unfortunately that does not occur very often.

Way to kill a franchise EA. Possibly the last EA game I buy this gen.

Cheers

Maybe BF4 on the consoles just looks worse than BF3 on the PC.

I would have to see how the PC version looks on a high-end machine, but from the Youtube comparisons I've seen, it's practically the console version with higher res, a bit better or more detailed of everything. At the end though, it's still the same "low" polygon mesh that is textured and cleverly achieves that illusion with lots of smokes and mirrors. It's a bit like a huge flat plan and cleverly textured. It looks terrific, but it's all just very faked and once you see that, it's just artificial.

I really like some of the effects though - like the wind and rain / storm in the Singapore level or the multiplayer map that has it - but it's all just faked - a layer that is in front of the whole gameplay rendered stuff. It's nice, but it still faked, and very noticable once you start to rotate your player and notice that the wind is always blowing from left to right....

Apart from the usual resolution and MSAA the only things the PC version has got over the new console versions are shadows (consoles are at high vs ultra on PC) and slightly higher draw distance for geometry and foliage. Everything else is comparable to ultra settings on PC.

I would have to see how the PC version looks on a high-end machine, but from the Youtube comparisons I've seen, it's practically the console version with higher res, a bit better or more detailed of everything.

My own opinions are based on YT videos as well. You mentioned earlier that you lose the fine detail in YT videos and this they aren't a good source for comparison. That's fair enough but its the same fine detail that's lost that the PC version of BF4 has over the PS4 version. So its no less valid to say BF4 looks as good or better than any other game based on YT videos than it is to say there's not much difference between then PC and console versions.

I do understand what your saying about faking effects as BF3 does it too but all realtime graphics are about faking effects, none of its a exact model for real life so if it looks better, what does it matter if its fake or not? I can honestly say that in terms of pure realism in graphics there's only one game I've seen that competes with BF4 and I'm sorry to say its not running on PS4 or PC. Of course, realism is not the only measure of amazing graphics. Go check out Trine 2 in 3D for example.

I guess that's a very valid point - though owning the game on PS4 perhaps gave me a sense of messure on what is lost and what isnt when comparing the real on-screen experience to the HD YT footage. It's not a perfect tepresentation for sure. I guess my observations are that BF4 has a lot of faked foliage. It comes across, on numerous occasions, of a game with generally flat surface (compared to that other game), but makes up for it by having a very robust and realistic lighting model and extremely detailed textures. It's a nice mix and as i've mentioned before - looking at it from a purely untrained POV, i think it's simply gorgeous.

If I am however comparing it from a more tech angle and put artistic direction aside, that other game is a LOT more complex. The geometry is a lot higher as evident by the complex terrain and the open nature and lighting is just showing off to the point it's just on a IMO different level. IMHO, it's hard to judge this through YT videos, but was quickly evident after playing for the first hour and comparing.

In other words: BF4 might be the prettiest, but it's not close to as demanding what is being rendered. Different approaches i guess, with different design goals, different art-direction which IMO is fine.

As a personal preference thing; BF4 wins for me since I value the framerate and the realistic style more - and when i want to show off some great next gen graphics to a non-tech person, BF4 would be the game I'd show. If i want to gloss and marvel at the complexity of what is rendered, I would be showing that other game instead.

Even at it's best youtube quality is generally very bad. I see this on my own hd videos that I upload, no matter what you do and what bitrate you set youtube simply mangles the quality, even at their 1080 settings. Youtube really isn't useful at all for determining any form of picture quality, it's just too low quality to where you will miss far too many details.

Only way I can play conquest is by sitting in a queue for 20-30 minutes. Seriously considering trading it in instead of waiting for it to be fixed. Once I'm in and playing, it's good. But those wait times pretty much make it impossible for me and my friends to get into the same server, which kills the experience. The game is really not worth the time anymore.

Only way I can play conquest is by sitting in a queue for 20-30 minutes. Seriously considering trading it in instead of waiting for it to be fixed. Once I'm in and playing, it's good. But those wait times pretty much make it impossible for me and my friends to get into the same server, which kills the experience. The game is really not worth the time anymore.

Oh god, really? Maybe I'm lucky, I always get dropped into a Conquest game immediately. Can't say I've ever counted the number of players to see whether I'm in a 64 player match, but it always feel like there's a crazy amount of people in a game.

I'm enjoying Squad Deathmatch by quite some margin, four teams is a great way of playing. I've come from COD though, so the vehicles don't really sit well with me. I find Conquest games seem to involve running to a location only to be sniped when I got there. The vehicles can make the game laugh out loud funny sometimes though.

:)

ckq3adww92re4vlw1.jpg

This is from Kaveri APU closed CES presentation. Hopefully we will find out soon what numbers will be present for desktop 7xxx/R9 290/R9 290x cards.

Back