TitanFall [XO,X360]

I think it looks fun, but the way it's been talked up to the moon since the press first got to play it is bound to make it feel like a letdown for some people. It's still just a game, not a transcendent experience that will expand your mind and fill your heart with the songs of Angels.

Well, there are games that can do that :D , so it sin't wrong to expect it here. I was just expecting it to be new, fresh and fun, instead what I am finding it as is old and the same.

The things that it does different is the wall running and jetpacking and the mechs. The mechs, well they are just bigger infantry, they feel the same, they sprint, walk, shoot the same. The only thing thats different is that they CANNOT jump and wallrun.

And frankly all the wall running and jumping is pretty much useless too. one doesn't do any of that when one's facing off infantry. It is useful only when u r on foot and want to take down a Titan, the chances of whicha re anyways near zero, unless u can land on its top (which , when it happens, is fun !)The only way to play is to get into ur titan, once u r in your Titan, u cannot jump, or wall run or anything at all. It just becomes a plain shooter once u get ur mech, and getting into ur Mech is what the game is about. You can't face off against aTitan as infantry at all, unless you get help from a friendly TiTan.

And when you ARE on foot, 99% of the time what u r shooting is BOTs as real people are in their Mechs and no one needs to dodge a bot, they are one hit kill :-/ . So.......in the end u just play it as just another shooter.

The feeling of the Mech isn't unique at all. They just feel like bigger soldiers, as agile and , well.....the same.

Oh, and btw, the AI is no issue at all. Its existence and non-existence doesn't matter at all. Atleast in the matches i played. So, that fear can be laid to rest. Still can't see what they are there for. The maps still feel empty with all the action happening all around the Mechs in one spot or the other.

Played the PC beta.

I donno. I just didn't do it for me.

The scripted enemies are brain dead, it takes a long time for them to even notice you before you mow them down. Its not rewarding at all to kill them.

The Titans are nothing special. You feel like a sitting duck in them since hit points are very low. The upside is their firepower so you can kill bots faster but any sane player will just jump on one to kill it.

Wall running doesn't really add much at all and in fact just makes you an easy target. You are better off roof hopping.

Maybe I have just played too many FPS games. I dont see myself buying it. I would rather shoot real players 100% of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably to do with the 'unable to find server' error that is hitting a number of people. Its not that there aren't enough servers but that Azure is failing to allocate resources correctly. MS are currently working very hard to fix it. Its similar to what happened in the last major Azure failure, when it couldn't create new allocations due to the way in which MS have implemented their partitioning.

So a bug in online gaming, as befalls almost every online game when it launches (connection issues)? Don't see the relevance to this thread.

Is Titanfall somehow augmented via "cloud"? Seriously, I don't know much about the title yet.

Titanfall is online only. Originally, the marketing was that is was only possible in the cloud. As a MS exclusive, they were supposed to be getting special support.

When the beta first went wide, the initial blame was on Respawn's code. Then later, word came out that MS' vaunted Azure wasn't working properly.

This is the first big system seller for either current gen console. It is online only. MS paid for exclusivity and promised special support from Azure. If this ideal case isn't ready, I don't see how it can be claimed that cloud based gaming is ready, much less the repeated claims about extra cloud processing, etc.

If this is the first time a game has used cloud computing for servers, are teething problems not to be expected? If a single first-time failure is proof that an idea is infeasible, I think we'd still be bashing sticks in caves. Hell, even established games from the best devs out there (Naughty Dog, DICE, etc.) using established technologies have had poor online launches.

And this has squat to do with cloud augmentations anyway, which is already proven in terms of the cloud existing for software to tap into it (hence the existence of cloud platforms like Amazon's). It's clearly possible for a game to send a data processing request to the cloud and get a response.

There is a bug where Azure is not spawning new servers to handle the increased load. That's what betas are supposed to find. In the end, it's all software and there are going to be bugs in code. If they have issues like this during launch, then I'll accept it as a legitimate complaint. BF4 deserved all the piling on that it got.

Yes, all the servers for all versions of the game run on Azure.

The AI grunts do not impress, though. They are pretty stupid and are there to get shot with little resistance.

Yeah, but mechs and wall-jumping bring a nice addition to COD formula. Also bots are present everywhere, so even though beta maps are 5v5, maps are nicely crowded. Bots AU is btw very stupid.

Yeah, but mechs and wall-jumping bring a nice addition to COD formula. Also bots are present everywhere, so even though beta maps are 5v5, maps are nicely crowded. Bots AU is btw very stupid.

Well it is a beta and aren't the bots AI something offloaded to the servers ? If so can't they eventually be dynamically adjusted to the players in a particular game. If it is a l33t game you get the harder to kill variety and then they get progressively dumber as the assessed abilities of the gamers are recorded. I don't know anything about it though.

Now that i am thinking about it how are the bots in these games dealt with ? Do they just get "commands" just like if a player was to send commands to their character to make the net code more consistent or are they controlled in a different way ?

Now that i am thinking about it how are the bots in these games dealt with ? Do they just get "commands" just like if a player was to send commands to their character to make the net code more consistent or are they controlled in a different way ?

Not 100% sure but they seem as complex as an MMORPG mob. They have pre-defined pathing nodes and simplistic condition checks from what I have seen. They are very slow to react to players (its a bit strange) and they will fight other bots. I dont know if they will up their difficulty but Unreal Tournament bots are far more impressive than these.

They probably keep them this dumb to make sure new gamers feel like they are "winning". The typical constant positive reinforcement made popular in CoD.

Well it is a beta and aren't the bots AI something offloaded to the servers ? If so can't they eventually be dynamically adjusted to the players in a particular game. If it is a l33t game you get the harder to kill variety and then they get progressively dumber as the assessed abilities of the gamers are recorded. I don't know anything about it though.

Bots are totally mindless, there is really no point making them connected to online servers. They cannot receive any commands, they are just "creeps" so that human players [Pilots] can grind for XP. Each kill reduces time until "titanfall".

Back