X1900XTX upgrade advice

Well, it's finally dying. Can't even play old games (NOLF2, Deus Ex) anymore without it overheating and crashing the PC in a few minutes..even with all the bells and whistles turned to lowest settings.

I'd like some workable advice on an upgrade, if possible.

Motherboard: Asus A8N32-SLI DELUXE.

CPU: AMD fx-60 dual core 2.6gz

650W PSU

2 gig RAM.

(I built this rig 7? years ago for aound $3K and don't want to abandon it yet.) X1900XTX was TOP of the line back then.

Anyway, internet EmSai reviews (GPU upgrade chart) recommended Radeon HD5750, 4850, 4770 and Nvidia GTX450, 250 as reasonable values. However they don't seem to be in stock anywhere (new). Can anyone direct me to a model, that is currently in stock NEW at say BestBuy or similar? That will work with my current setup?

I'm not looking for stellar performance, just something that works, and would maybe play Two Worlds 2 (x1900xtx doesn't work for that one, and many other newer games).

I guess the closest you'll get to current performance on a "new" card is a 6670 DDR3 which you can get on Newegg for $55-$60.

Wow. NONE of those suggestions are even mentioned on the GPU upgrade chart I was looking at! The chart (helper) shows colors of bad, indifferent, good, overkill compared to my current card. URL follows:

http://www.emsai.net/reviews/gpu/

Is it not a good guide?

I know that one consideration is the power connection dongle.

Is DDR5 a problem? I'm currently DDR3.

I've also heard that PCI-E 2.0 v 2.1 could be a problem, but mostly with AMD cards.

Remember I'm looking for compatability with my "antique" rig.

Yeah but does that have a possible conflict with my rig? I KNOW the power dongle does. Sorry, I just don't know for sure. I was hoping for some guidance.

It shouldn't conflict at all. I would suggest getting something in the HD 77xx range given about 15 minutes research about what that board is capable of (Socket 939). If you want to upgrade to something a LOT faster then I would suggest 78xx instead.

Upgrading to 3GB ram would be a good idea (you would need to find 2x512MB or 2x1GB ddr1 sticks depending on what your set up is)

Especially, if you're still on XP it's time to upgrade to at least 7 32bit (or 8 64bit, lol. in this case wait for Windows 8.1)

An SSD would make sense and has gotten relatively cheap, though it's mostly useful for everything that is not gaming.

Last edited by a moderator:
It shouldn't conflict at all. I would suggest getting something in the HD 77xx range given about 15 minutes research about what that board is capable of (Socket 939). If you want to upgrade to something a LOT faster then I would suggest 78xx instead.

Even a 7750 is incredibly faster that the X1900XTX. It's nice for its lowest cost and footprint.

A sweet model would be the 7790 as it has the highest perf per watt existing, it runs its own GPU (Bonaire) which is a tiny revision of the architecture I think and is identical to what in found in the new Sony and Microsoft consoles. It uses the same power as 7770 (less than 80 watts) for more performance.
But an ultra powerful card will go to waste, unless you play at the highest resolution you can and lots of AA.

Nvidia options are the GTX 650 and 650 ti. I'll be looking towards the new GT640 with gddr5 (maybe) but I have specific needs (light gaming under linux and not being unreliable and noisy like my 7600GT). I have a similar compatibilty trouble here though it's Valve requiring an OpenGL extension I don't have, in games whose Windows version run with DX9.

I have to say I have a similar rig as yours but it's more recent and more ugly :)

Yeah but does that have a possible conflict with my rig? I KNOW the power dongle does. Sorry, I just don't know for sure. I was hoping for some guidance.

BTW cards that need a 6-pin for power often come with an adapter to run that on molexes and your PSU can handle that

BTW cards that need a 6-pin for power often come with an adapter to run that on molexes and your PSU can handle that

No shit? I was told that, THAT way of thinking was fatally bogus. Do NOT use the power adapter. Do you have different experience? I don't have a giant amount of dough, so I'm sceptical. Thanks for your input though.

Thanks smelly gorilla man. I will build my next rig when I have the opportunity to NOT build a "state of the art" rig.

No really, thanks. 77 hundred range? Okay. You think that will run on my Mboard? Dongle and all? Or are you saying I need one of those adaptors? Not the DVI-VGA thing, but POWER adapters.

Listen I BUILT this rig. I NEVER got the chance to use the overclocking. It's LIQUID cooled too! You know, I'm just a crybaby about this. Are you okay with anything with the compatible power dongle in the 77 range?

Even a 7750 is incredibly faster that the X1900XTX. It's nice for its lowest cost and footprint.

A sweet model would be the 7790 as it has the highest perf per watt existing, it runs its own GPU (Bonaire) which is a tiny revision of the architecture I think and is identical to what in found in the new Sony and Microsoft consoles. It uses the same power as 7770 (less than 80 watts) for more performance.
But an ultra powerful card will go to waste, unless you play at the highest resolution you can and lots of AA.

Nvidia options are the GTX 650 and 650 ti. I'll be looking towards the new GT640 with gddr5 (maybe) but I have specific needs (light gaming under linux and not being unreliable and noisy like my 7600GT). I have a similar compatibilty trouble here though it's Valve requiring an OpenGL extension I don't have, in games whose Windows version run with DX9.

I have to say I have a similar rig as yours but it's more recent and more ugly :)

Thanks. I will try one of these tomorrow. If it works, I will trumpet you. Thanks. I'm talking like going to the beach in the 60's with your folks and accidently? turning on your dads SCUBA tanks air release, and having those comic books to read...like that. I mean.

No shit? I was told that, THAT way of thinking was fatally bogus. Do NOT use the power adapter. Do you have different experience? I don't have a giant amount of dough, so I'm sceptical. Thanks for your input though.

I didn't but other people do fine ; all cards mentioned barely use more power than given by PCIe slot expect the 7800 series.
But if you're bothered then get 7750 gddr5, no power pin and no waste of money.

Thanks smelly gorilla man. I will build my next rig when I have the opportunity to NOT build a "state of the art" rig.

No really, thanks. 77 hundred range? Okay. You think that will run on my Mboard? Dongle and all? Or are you saying I need one of those adaptors? Not the DVI-VGA thing, but POWER adapters.

Listen I BUILT this rig. I NEVER got the chance to use the overclocking. It's LIQUID cooled too! You know, I'm just a crybaby about this. Are you okay with anything with the compatible power dongle in the 77 range?

I am pretty sure given the type of motherboard. I do feel that Eastman's suggestion of an APU is better again given the fact that it offers you both a new motherboard/cpu architecture (yours is old) and it gives you improved GPU performance.

Your PSU looks pretty solid at 650W, so it will likely handle everything you could throw at it (if it isn't some cheap Chinese POS). Your system just looks like it needs to replace everything to remain current. Your situation doesn't exclude the possibility of a motherboard failure so I would go with what Eastman suggested.

I'm just looking for a GPU upgrade though. Not a new Mboard. I know, I know. But..sheesh. Thanks, I'm going to muzzle around in Bestbuy's inventory tomorrow. I WILL report back. and I DO **THANK** you **ALL** (like Morrowind thank) for the assistance. Even if I get killed at Bestbuy. I thank you. Just remember, there was always a gorillaface dummyhead right behind you that fell on his own poison potion on the way up the hill.

It's not like I'm an idiot. It's more like everyone's against me. In a different universe, I'd bet I was a badass sort, as long as nobody got hurt.

You could most likely grab one of AMD's new a10s and have performance better than the x1900xtx. That way you get on a modern motherboard with a modern cpu and then you can upgrade..

I've devised an evil plan.
Doing the GPU upgrade, and a good while later getting an FM2+ mobo. This can take the Athlon X4 750K which is an APU with disabled GPU, or a similar Kaveri if that comes out, or similar Richland
BTW a 7790 with 2GB might be a nice long term card, though it's more expensive/more rare ; 7750 1GB is much cheaper. Beware, there are rip off : 7750 with gddr3, it's a banana that explodes in your face and the A10 is a better buy than that. Tell your gorilla to throw it over the hill.

I've devised an evil plan.
Doing the GPU upgrade, and a good while later getting an FM2+ mobo. This can take the Athlon X4 750K which is an APU with disabled GPU, or a similar Kaveri if that comes out, or similar Richland
BTW a 7790 with 2GB might be a nice long term card, though it's more expensive/more rare ; 7750 1GB is much cheaper. Beware, there are rip off : 7750 with gddr3, it's a banana that explodes in your face and the A10 is a better buy than that. Tell your gorilla to throw it over the hill.

Yea but think about it , he will be stuck with an fx -60 . That thing is going to hold him back in all games along with 2 gigs of ram.

AMD a10 6800k $150 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113331

Asrock fm2a75 has 8 usb 3 , sata 6 and supports up to ddr 3 2600 $80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157333

DDR 3 2133 by g skill 8 GB 2x4 $72
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231468

Total = $302 .

A 7790 is going to be about $150. So its double the cost but now he can play modern games and not be cpu limited.

Game performance will be up there http://www.anandtech.com/show/7032/...-gpu-on-the-desktop-radeon-hd-8670d-hd-4600/2

But he could hold out and grab a 22nm gpu late this year or early next year and he wont have to worry about a new cpu for about 5 years or so.

He could do the same on the intel side but spend a bit more . He will get a better cpu but worse gpu.

That nForce4 PCIE 1.0 motherboard might also be an issue. I'd at least do a round googling to determine if there are any compatibility issues lurking around before splurging on anything as new as a HD 77xx.

Back