Technical investigation into PS4 and XB1 audio solutions *spawn

I don't understand. What noise are people wanting to remove?

Racists and bigots? I'd buy an Xbox One if Microsoft enhance their voice recognition to auto-mute offensive comments!!! There's a fantastic use of the technology!

Racists and bigots? I'd buy an Xbox One if Microsoft enhance their voice recognition to auto-mute offensive comments!!! There's a fantastic use of the technology!
:LOL: They could censor rude words with a most pleasant beep.

I would use that feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish they could remove heavy breathing, or other gross noises people make.

THIS!!!!!!

That has always been the most annoying thing when doing voice chat in raids in MMOs (where you have up to 40 people in chat).

Using Kinect for that would basically remove that incredibly annoying aspect of voice chat, unless they are such heavy breathers that their breathing is as loud as their normal speech. Something I doubt headset microphones will ever be able to totally remove as the sound originates from the same point of origin as your speech.

Regards,
SB

You don't need Kinect for that. In fact Kinect can't help any regards heavy breathing. The mic picks up whatever audio is there, whether a small mic by the mouth or an array isolating the player from the environment. It's down to audio processing to identify non-verbal sounds and filter them or mute.

There's nothing Kinect can provide regards chat over and above a headset. The audio processor may help, but Kinect is no use (hence my confusion over the original question).

Would be almost impossible as what is offensive to some isn't offensive to others. Having been raised in a multicultural island, there isn't much that anyone could say to me that would be offensive. Yellow skin, chink, nip, coolie, slant eye, four eye, pizza face (bad acne as a teen), you name it, I've heard it and none of it bothers me.

That was a shock when moving from there to the mainland where so many people are so thin skinned that words spoken by people they don't know somehow hurts them. So weird. If someone I didn't know said something they thought was offensive to me, I wouldn't give a rats arse as it is meaningless since I couldn't care less what they think of me.

:LOL: They could censor rude words with a most pleasant beep.

I would use that feature.

That would be technically quite difficult. As something as simple as "fork" when pronounced in some dialects/accents sounds like the other 4 letter F word. The same goes for something as simple as "apple".

Regards,
SB

I would want to remove any sound that wasn't the voice. Background noise, noise from the game, etc..
Okay, the kids screaming in the background type of thing. Yes, Kinect could help extract the player's voice from the environment. We'll have to be told if that's implemented or not.

I don't understand. What noise are people wanting to remove?
the way my man cave is set up , i'm about 4 feet from my tv and 2 feet from my pc tower. So sometimes people can hear my desktop fans through my 360 mic .

I presumed he meant "echo cancellation".

that be nice too

Also anyone under the age of 18 that isn't on my buddy list. That would make xbox live much better !

the way my man cave is set up , i'm about 4 feet from my tv and 2 feet from my pc tower. So sometimes people can hear my desktop fans through my 360 mic .

that be nice too

Also anyone under the age of 18 that isn't on my buddy list. That would make xbox live much better !

Get a bluetooth headset, that would solve the rooms ambient noise.

This is a video from Project Cars and the sound is what I'd call next gen since it looks like a perfect fit for SHAPE. (don't mind the car flying at the 2:25 -approximately- minutes mark). :eek:

I am thinking about buying new headphones to use exclusively with the Xbox One and drink some water or whatever while listening in awe to the sound.

I might ask for advice also. If the technical gurus can help me it would be greatly appreciated -I don't mind if they are stereo headphones as long as they are high quality-.

Tensilica is a company that you contract with to design custom silicon. They have pre-purposed blocks you can just drop in, and then modify to your needs. the two scalar and two vector processors in the audio block are modified tensilica processors, where MS added their own instructions to accelerate things like speech and other audio tasks. SHAPE is custom designed by MS.

Tensilica is a company that you contract with to design custom silicon. They have pre-purposed blocks you can just drop in, and then modify to your needs. the two scalar and two vector processors in the audio block are modified tensilica processors, where MS added their own instructions to accelerate things like speech and other audio tasks. SHAPE is custom designed by MS.
Many thanks as usual bkillian. With your help and after MS presentation at their most recent conference, you shed some light on what the Xbox One is capable of.

video removed

Sorry for the O-T.
Mod: Then don't post it. "Why I like Dana Scully" has zero to do with next-gen audio nor console gaming whatsoever, so is irrelevant to this board outside of the General Discussion forum

On a different note, I hope we can play games that feature audio effects in real-time like this on the PS4 and Xbox One.

Thanks javisoft for the video:

I just heard that the latest cinema that opened here in the neighbourhood (JT Kerkrade) has a new type of Dolby, Dolby Atmos, that is 64! channel. It includes speakers on the ceiling, in the floor, etc. and a combined output of 94,000 Watts in this particular cinema. Pretty crazy!

I hadn't heard of this before, but two of my colleagues have been there already. One of them went to Elysium, and described how for instance rain would slowly pass through the cinema from front to back and you could hear it falling from above to below. It should support fairly precise positioning. Looks like bigger releases started supporting this since 2012.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer...tm_source=multi&utm_content=redir-atmosmovies

In here people read 400 gigaflop, though eventually it was settled around 100 gigaflop for the SHAPE audio processor http://beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1736869

MS however recently specified that the audio hardware is only worth 12 gigaflop..

Is it safe to assume that the SHAPE audio processor is just a rebranded, AMD APU component?

In that case, there will be no difference in audio. Case closed :)

Apparently "bkillian" stated (I can't find it!) somewhere that the SHAPE has 2CU's worth of processing power.

Did bkillian really mean it has 200 gigaflop worth of processing power?

Did MS really state it only has 12 gigaflop worth of processing power?

If both statements are true.. then who is telling the truth, MS, of bkillian??

You're going to need to provide the quote. The presentation also made mention of specialized operations that are not part of the general floating point operation count.

The amount of computation necessary to emulate those specialized functions in total is likely larger than the op count would otherwise indicate.

Back