Server based game augmentations. The transition to cloud. Really possible?

That breakdown wouldn't include work that is done in the cloud, for cloud enabled features.

I know, that's why seeing what they are speeding all that local CPU time on is intriguing if the cloud is doing the AI for the drivatars.

Problem is what happens if you pull the network/have bad connection/high ping. You get degraded physics? How will the system compensate?

Assuming you're talking about an SP experience, they can download server generated parameters and data set into the client HDD before the race starts.

If these are not available, the game would use the default parameters and dataset.

Assuming you're talking about an SP experience, they can download server generated parameters and data set into the client HDD before the race starts.

If these are not available, the game would use the default parameters and dataset.

I don't think this impacts FPS.

It doesn't need to boil down to FPS improvement.

Before throwing the problem at the server, it may be cheaper and more effective to optimize the game code for such improvements. It's only launch period.

Since the cloud is always on with the Xbox One, one of the launch titles, Powerstar Golf, uses it in an interesting way according to reviews.

You can play against other people's ghosts and they defeat you they get experience because of that, even if the user isn't physically/actually online.

Just imagine, you are working and decide to play some time after work and then you realise your character has increased their stats without you playing.

Since the cloud is always on with the Xbox One, one of the launch titles, Powerstar Golf, uses it in an interesting way according to reviews.

You can play against other people's ghosts and they defeat you they get experience because of that, even if the user isn't physically/actually online.

Just imagine, you are working and decide to play some time after work and then you realise your character has increased their stats without you playing.

gran turismo B-spec got a lot of hate though..

None of that is new, other than the word "cloud". But I guess this is about marketing.

All of this stuff is easier to implement now at least. We're seeing similar stuff in a lot of X1 games it seems.

The "cloud" probably helps.

But it was going to close a 2 full Xbox360's worth of processing power delta by offloading complex physics and artificial intelligence calculations to run on a 300.000 ... something, -strong supercomputer that MS built for this purpose.

Every single current real implementation of the MS cloud has been done before, and doesn't even need any processing power whatsoever. So yeah, to tech enthusiasts it is kind of underwhelming, and over promising at the same time.

On a lighter note, it seems I had the finger on the pulse of the Forza player base way before release.

From Ars Technica :

In every race, you pick the AI's expertise and presumably, FM5 pulls up a roster of cloud competitors as appropriate. The range of difficulties play out as advertised—easy is easy, hard is hard—but cloud-powered AI mostly stands out in annoying ways. For one, this data definitely seems to pull from real players' tendencies. At every difficulty, you're bound to get full-on rammed by other racers who prefer burning through Forza arcade-style.

For reference (emphasis added for this post):

Pfft. I don't need the cloud to collect telemetry data in real time to formulate an AI profile.
It almost doesn't need data at all beyond this tiny ruleset:

If on the outside: ram other player's car.
If drafting: ram other player's car.
If boxed in: ram other player's car.
If losing: ram other player's car.
If winning: ram other player's car.
And so on.

I can't wait until there's thousands of drivatars like mine.

On a lighter note, it seems I had the finger on the pulse of the Forza player base way before release.

:yes::LOL::yes:

The problem of thousands of rival drivers but only a few hundred 'good' ones!

Still I will be interested to see if players start to notice Drivatars improving as people get better at the game over time

Regarding 2013's poster-child of server-based, game augmentations, SimCity, it appears that the technology NOW, in 2014, finally exists to perform all those cloud-based augmentations locally on the user's computer. Yes, SimCity is getting an offline mode!

So they overcame the limitations of computer hardware with some really sophisticated coding I guess ;)

@BuldozerX I don't. I think local compute will be important for a long time.
— Phil Spencer (@XboxP3) January 13, 2014

@BuldozerX @JanolsenJan Bandwidth caps clearly an issue, still believe HW & SW engrs working together will find local HW scenarios critical.
— Phil Spencer (@XboxP3) January 13, 2014

Thread closed :/

Regarding 2013's poster-child of server-based, game augmentations, SimCity, it appears that the technology NOW, in 2014, finally exists to perform all those cloud-based augmentations locally on the user's computer. Yes, SimCity is getting an offline mode!

So they overcame the limitations of computer hardware with some really sophisticated coding I guess ;)
Could the servers be nearing sunset?

The only cloud computing that SimCity (5) has is the always-on DRM.

That may have been the icing on the cake, but I think the more important thing to EA was the user monetization hooks. The constant monitoring and validation of game transactions went beyond anti-piracy, and showed just how much control the publisher wanted over the player base.
It was obvious with the introduction of DLC that the goal was to prod as much cash out of a player.
Given that EA didn't care that a mismatch in DLC crippled the ability for multiplayer regions to shift ownership of plots, it was clear that the integrity of the game experience was being compromised by anything that would compel gamers to spend more money or wolf down more ad-sponsored items.

Better to have a third the player base spending money like the sum total MSRP of all Sims expansion packs, than a player base three times larger enjoying a functional product for merely the up-front purchase price.
In the end, it doesn't look like the franchise will get either.

The key takeaway from this for obligatory online gaming, and not just for EA (although especially for EA), is that you are paying for the privilege to have fun on someone else's terms in a relationship structured to be an exemplar of asymmetry. Best make sure the game and what you want from it makes sense in that context.

take away the crap and I would buy this game for my kid...

news flash: it's still a piece of crap w/o the "cloud computing"
Game is pretty broken, they'll fix one thing and break the other, map size can't go bigger due to the agent-based AI...sad though.

news flash: it's still a piece of crap w/o the "cloud computing"
Game is pretty broken, they'll fix one thing and break the other, map size can't go bigger due to the agent-based AI...sad though.

I played it for a few days a while back and found it fun. This was before any major "upgrades," but the AI was clearly broken/stupid. If they didn't improve the AI for the way people live/commute/work then that's a shame. Figured I'd revisit it on a long flight once offline is enabled.

the problem is that they are trying to simulate the flow of a city (good idea) with agents not smarter than ants (bad call) and an overly simplified model (i.e. the sims don't live/work/travel with a routine, they just go to the closest POI), they did a bunch of adjustment to tune the AI performance (including, reducing the amount of cars during rush hour). They were claiming there are a lot of computations offload onto the cloud, guess that's just an outright lie.

The game has its charms, but it's just simply broken.

Back