Forza 5 [XO] *large pics inside*

Just watched the launch trailer on the Xbox 360 and it was a high enough bitrate that all the details are evident and provides the closest representation yet to what it looked like in person.

29fck7l.jpg

image_forza_motorsport_5-23648-2721_0007.jpg

image_forza_motorsport_5-23648-2721_0009.jpg

The Rahal/Letterman M3 is my favorite bimmer :oops:

BTW the first pic is a real photo just in case anyone was wondering...

Last edited by a moderator:
Why have you posted a photograph of a car? What is that contributing? You should label it as much and explain its inclusion, otherwise it looks like you're trying to palm it off as an in-game shot.

Forza 5 demo in MS's UI video is a tragic case of art getting in the way of experience. 7:10 mark...

The lens flare completely obliterates visibility. No one would drive like that - it's dangerous (plus we don't have lens flare on our eyeballs). You'd have a sun visor. I look forward to when game designers start to include realistic sense in their design choices instead of splatting their fancy effects to excess (this goes for other games too, but I was taken aback by how obtrusive F5's flare was in that clip).

^ Yep I fully agree, as a racer I just change shields on my helmet depending on the conditions. It seems like Forza is using helmets (for closed cockpits), so they should pretend we are using shields and drop the sun blindness simulation. If I wanted to see that I would go get my eyes dilated.

In real life daily driving you can squint, use the visor, wear glasses, etc. In Forza you have to lose visibility of the track which is just nuts.

Just watched the F1 video, it seems like they let the AI do the driving which caused horrible sounds in the corners. The shifting animation is horrible, I have never seen an F1 driver shift like that. I get why they did it, but still looks goofy.

Not sure if this was correct, but the UI video is an old build of Forza, hence the jaggies.

Forza 5 demo in MS's UI video is a tragic case of art getting in the way of experience. 7:10 mark...

The lens flare completely obliterates visibility. No one would drive like that - it's dangerous (plus we don't have lens flare on our eyeballs). You'd have a sun visor. I look forward to when game designers start to include realistic sense in their design choices instead of splatting their fancy effects to excess (this goes for other games too, but I was taken aback by how obtrusive F5's flare was in that clip).

Yeah, but WHOA BRIGHT LIGHTS!

^ Yep I fully agree, as a racer I just change shields on my helmet depending on the conditions. It seems like Forza is using helmets (for closed cockpits), so they should pretend we are using shields and drop the sun blindness simulation. If I wanted to see that I would go get my eyes dilated.

In real life daily driving you can squint, use the visor, wear glasses, etc. In Forza you have to lose visibility of the track which is just nuts.
+1.

I've driven that same demo in person and that flare isn't as bright as the video indicates. I think the off screen camera doesn't adjust to the change in brightness fast enough, which is ironically the same effect being recreated by the game, so it's like x2. Also, aliasing is not accurately represented by that clip either. Even the circle around the tach on the HUD looks aliased on that pic, which is impossible. I was very underwhelmed by most online videos I saw as well. Judge after you see it for yourself on a nicely calibrated display. Or don't, most minds seem already made up anyway.

Forza has a bad history about these things though. Even if it is less exaggerated in real life, it's still annoying. There's something like this in Forza 4 on the Nurburgring, which I really hate.

The overal UI experience with Kinect video looks very slick. Not a big fan of some of the way content is displayed though - the activity feed for instance is plain to the extreme, and I would have loved to see some variation in the tiles for the different activity types, which should be easy enough to do. But there is some really good stuff here, and the seamlessness of identifying who is talking to the TV is wonderful.

That image isn't 1080p native. Looks to be upscaled of the order of 50% vertically at a cursory glance. Interestingly, the map is native, suggesting the game is rendering sub-1080p in the game and overlaying native resolution UI elements.

That image isn't 1080p native. Looks to be upscaled of the order of 50% vertically at a cursory glance. Interestingly, the map is native, suggesting the game is rendering sub-1080p in the game and overlaying native resolution UI elements.

There were many reports of Forza 5 looking severely aliased...

There were many reports of Forza 5 looking severely aliased...
The concern is that it's been tooted as a 1080p60 game. If it's upscaled, that's not true. But that's a huge if. We need real gameplay shots (and not PR shots). There could be something like 'interlacing' going on, rendering alternate half-pixel jittered frames, which would reduce aliasing in many cases. Or this isn't a decent reference image. I can only be sure it's not YT induced artefacting and it's not 1080p native.

The concern is that it's been tooted as a 1080p60 game. If it's upscaled, that's not true. But that's a huge if. We need real gameplay shots (and not PR shots). There could be something like 'interlacing' going on, rendering alternate half-pixel jittered frames, which would reduce aliasing in many cases. Or this isn't a decent reference image. I can only be sure it's not YT induced artefacting and it's not 1080p native.

This image comes from the latest 12mn Xbox One All-in-One demo just released today. And this screenshot of the game is exactly how it looks in motion during the brief parts of the game of the high quality video (aliased and environment/lighting bland).

And it is the best video quality I have yet seen of this game. As you have just said, it looks like some parts have different resolutions but I would prefer to think that some parts of the image are anti-aliased, some not (or differently AAed).

It looks really bland as well. The internal texture on the dashboard and the exterior view are very flat.

That screenshot looks like it was taken from the original Forza. Can the marketing department take a day off so that people actually interested in the game can discuss it?

Back