Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

Yah, but you get my point right? It's kind of strange to talk about how X1 is "design by committee" whatever that means, where Sony was "open and listened to developers", and they pretty much have exactly the same hardware. If anything, it seems like AMD must have had more input into the overall design, because they came up with two nearly-identical solutions that fit into the same price range.

In terms of vision for the platform? Yah, you can argue that to death, but even there the differences are not that big. Microsoft chose to bundle a peripheral and Sony chose to focus only on games where Microsoft tried to sell their box as a media-center. Sony's strategy was obviously much better.

We're talking about two boxes that are nearly the same, where most of the difference is in how they've been marketed, not the actual product. I'm not denying the performance gap between the two consoles, but I'm also not sure that's the be-all and end-all issue that people are making it out to be.

Sure, if you take the SOC in isolation, then yes, they're quite similar. Microsoft have tried to put more into that chip though; you've got the SHAPE bits and the eSRAM. I guess that's where everyone is coming from with the design by committee. It's like we need CPU(s), a GPU, audio processing, Kinect processing, on-chip RAM to make up for the GDDR deficit, DMEs, etc. Whereas Sony's design was CPU/GPU + some audio stuff. Microsoft's design is way more complex, more expensive, (a little) larger, and less powerful.

I only wish one of them choose to have a separate CPU and GPU.

Sure, if you take the SOC in isolation, then yes, they're quite similar. Microsoft have tried to put more into that chip though; you've got the SHAPE bits and the eSRAM. I guess that's where everyone is coming from with the design by committee. It's like we need CPU(s), a GPU, audio processing, Kinect processing, on-chip RAM to make up for the GDDR deficit, DMEs, etc. Whereas Sony's design was CPU/GPU + some audio stuff. Microsoft's design is way more complex, more expensive, (a little) larger, and less powerful.

Both Sony and MS have audio processors. The audio solution is not that far apart. The DMEs are just modified DMA, not a particularly outrageous or massive departure in design. The more that's been learned about the designs, the less they seem to differ in complexity. The only real significant departure is in RAM. Microsoft has some embedded RAM. Both consoles seemed to be targeting roughly the same bandwidth to feed their CPU/GPU combo, they just got to it in different ways. Apart from the SOC, what are the big differences? X1 has one extra input for HDMI in. That's about it.

PS4 has the ARM processor. Also, I'm fairly sure that the Xbox One's mobo is quite a lot more complex if I remember the pictures correctly. Is the BOM greater? I struggle to see how they made a more expensive console (even excluding Kinect) that has significantly lower performance.

The very cheap power bricks need fans, because they are inefficient, they get hot, and passive cooling would have been a few dollars more. This tiny fan will eventually fail with dust build up. And even if you clean it regularly, they usually have an MTBF around 25,000 hours. That's 3 years if you leave it on 24/7.

There are people who are trying to buy a spare XB1 Power Supply because they don't want to have down time waiting for a replacement. MS refused to sell it to them, they only sell it if you send back a faulty one.
http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1vajjq/a_guide_on_how_to_order_a_spare_xbox_one_power/

MS should stop trying to make consumer electronics and just outsource the integration job to a firm that knows what they are doing.

Oh wow. So its even worse. Not only is it incovenient, it's also a time-bomb. Glad I switched instant restart off, maybe that way the thing wont break very soon. As much as I feel I shouldn't give MS more money to fix the bad job THEY made, if a silent (please, smaller too) power supply becomes available in the future, I'll buy it. Oh never mind, I'll probably get a ps4 before that and never touch the ONE for anything other than its exclusives so fuck it.

Microsoft did so much right with the 360, it's a shame that they've failed so spectacularly this time around. Not just with the sales but with the hardware and the message too.

They were just extremely lucky with the 360.

Sony made all the mistakes and gave them a year head start. This time around they had to actually compete with Sony. So far it hasn't worked out very well for them!

Sony made all the mistakes and gave them a year head start. This time around they had to actually compete with Sony. So far it hasn't worked out very well for them!

Still, MS did a lot of things right with the 360, there's no denying that.

Usually, you make your own luck. Good or Bad.

Oh wow. So its even worse. Not only is it incovenient, it's also a time-bomb. Glad I switched instant restart off, maybe that way the thing wont break very soon. As much as I feel I shouldn't give MS more money to fix the bad job THEY made, if a silent (please, smaller too) power supply becomes available in the future, I'll buy it. Oh never mind, I'll probably get a ps4 before that and never touch the ONE for anything other than its exclusives so fuck it.

Don't let MR Fox fool you , I still have a 20 gig launch day xbox 360 running on its original power brick. That's what 8 years ?

I hang my power bricks behind my entertainment stand and I like that I can move some of the heat out of the small cubby holes.

Whats more , if the xbox one power bricks die you have to send the brick away to get fixed or a replacement from ms. If the ps4 power supply goes then you need a completely new ps4 which would be a refurbished one from sony.

I much rather just replace a power brick

Did you ever bother to look what kind of powerunit is in a PS4?

Never ever heard of a Playstation (any generation) dying because the pa gave out, by the way.

Never ever heard of a Playstation (any generation) dying because the pa gave out, by the way.

My brother's PS3 had the internal power supply die. Shit happens. Not that it's a common problem, but with 70+ million units out there, some are bound to have power supply issues.

Does it matter ? everything is subject to failure. I've had internal power supplies go as often as bricks, no one way is better and comes down to user preference .

I prefer to be able to simply send back a component and get it fixed then have to get a new system if a problem actually occurs .

The last time a power brick went bad that I've had personal experience is with my brother in laws laptop from 2006. It had a nice 8 year run and a $30 amazon order later and it still works.

Usually, you make your own luck.
Quotes from bad Titanic dialogue will not help Microsoft ;)

I do subscribe to the view that Microsoft did well last gen mostly because of what Sony did badly. I also subscribe to the view that Sony got off to a better start this gen mostly because of what Microsoft did badly.

Microsoft are working through every tactic in the book, short of crazy loss-making price cuts, to boost sales. Just because they have not found something successful yet doesn't mean they won't.

The weirdest thing I find about these discussions about how Microsoft got their hardware so wrong, is that the hardware is pretty much the same as what's in the PS4, with some marginal differences. They have different RAM. Otherwise, they're basically the same. It's pretty much exactly the same CPU and the same GPU architecture, with the PS4 version being scaled up a little. Compared to other gens, these differences are marginal. But Sony are geniuses that did everything right and Microsoft are closed-minded, mismanaged. Besides Sony betting on GDDR at the start, and Microsoft betting on a small pool of embedded RAM, their decisions basically took them to exactly the same place. You can argue Kinect and pricing outside of that, and the vision of the software and services, but hardware they pretty much both did the same thing.
It is not really a matter of geniuses or dumb asses.
MSFT got many things right in the Yukon slides including the ps4 price, among other things.

The end result is that the difference in the system BOM is marginal, the difference in performances is not. That is factual there is nothing to argue about.

The part about Sony being genius smells trolling imo, cooldown it brings nothing to conversation :)
MSFT took bad decisions on the business and on the hardware, the guys at the top got replaced, what Bkillian told us through the year is not rosy either, he went as far as quitting iirc.
Don't be angry at people because MSFT messed up on this one, some guys are working hard to get it right, which makes clear that it was not in the first place.

Yeah, and I prefer the integrated solution. ;) PS3 replacements can be found online for not a lot. PS4 might be harder, but I assume those will start showing up once the first PS4s run out of warranty?

Problem with the Xbox is that it is huge by itself, twice,the PS4, and then it still needs a power brick with active cooling. No matter your preferences, it looks clumsy especially combined with lower perceived (actual?) processing power, and air vents that seem to allow anything to fall straight into the box is weird to me as well.

Yeah, and I prefer the integrated solution. ;) PS3 replacements can be found online for not a lot. PS4 might be harder, but I assume those will start showing up once the first PS4s run out of warranty?

Problem with the Xbox is that it is huge by itself, twice,the PS4, and then it still needs a power brick with active cooling. No matter your preferences, it looks clumsy especially combined with lower perceived (actual?) processing power, and air vents that seem to allow anything to fall straight into the box is weird to me as well.

I'm not actually sure what the size of something I never move matters. But I guess that's personal preference. I don't own a ps4 right now but my friend does . The ps4 is noiser than the xbox one but at the same time they are both so quite it doesn't matter.

My one replaced a bluray player and an xbox 360. So its actually freed up room ! :oops:

It is not really a matter of geniuses or dumb asses.
MSFT got many things right in the Yukon slides including the ps4 price, among other things.

The end result is that the difference in the system BOM is marginal, the difference in performances is not. That is factual there is nothing to argue about.

The part about Sony being genius smells trolling imo, cooldown it brings nothing to conversation :)
MSFT took bad decisions on the business and on the hardware, the guys at the top got replaced, what Bkillian told us through the year is not rosy either, he went as far as quitting iirc.
Don't be angry at people because MSFT messed up on this one, some guys are working hard to get it right, which makes clear that it was not in the first place.

I've said repeatedly that there is a performance difference. You'll get no argument from me on that. I'm also not angry at anybody. I'm just pointing out that the hardware is incredibly similar architecturally, but the competitor has a version that's scaled for more processing power, I don't think I'd call that incompetence. Some of that is probably just bad luck, some is probably by design.

To me the big mistakes were in marketing, and not having the software and media content ready to back up their plan for the console. Maybe they got the hardware wrong (not incredibly wrong), but it's still pretty good.

How did they hope to have XB1 level of performance for that power with CPU running at 2GHz and a GPU running at 1GHz? Even if they are just ballpark figures?
How did they hope to have that amount of processing power for 50$, that is in their best case scenario using a 22nm SOI process allowing for eDRAM?
MSFT engineers knows better than that, they can't be that far off.
This is mixing up a lot of different issues.
One is that projecting costs that far ahead in time does have a margin of error.
Another is that, while we don't know what AMD is charging for the SOC, the nature of these agreements is that there is a price schedule that cuts what Microsoft pays for it over time.

The projections could have an average or sustained cost value, not the initial cost.
Any teardowns would only have an instantaneous measure of cost, even if their estimates are accurate.
It may not reach $50, but it won't be as big a miss as it appeared right at launch.

System:
2 jaguar cluster, 1 core is disabled, 1.6GHz
Microsoft was fine with no cores disabled, and clocked higher. Why do this?
It's not clear that you can disable just one without issue. The salvage SKUs for Jaguar are dual-core.

12 CU, 1 disabled, 850MHz
Are there any SKUs that disable odd numbers of CUs?

Clocks and disabled units would have been adjustable right up to the very end, and could even be changed right now if they felt like it.
This would have been decided after physical evaluation and statistical analysis of actual manufactured product.
Why has Microsoft's real-world experience been trumped by a design that pessimizes the CPU yield and salvage, while cutting the GPU's salvageability in half?

True audio.
Possibly putting the cart before the horse.
This is quite likely drawn from IP everyone helped contribute to in some form, either in tech or money that funded the R&D. This is asking Microsoft to include a final proprietary product that didn't exist when they set down their own design, and one they may have helped bring into being through the act of designing the system they did.

Anyway reading Bkillian's comment make me think that XB1 design choice are based on something designed too long ago and that did not get "reviewed" again even in the face of pretty significant strategic change(s).
What exactly is your time window for when an analysis of the situation would say things are "wrong"?
Are you viewing this solely from a console hardware perspective, or also including the large number of parallel intitiatives that made up the platform?
Any effort with this level of complexity is going to have to pull the trigger ahead of time.
The SOC's design and manufacturing time frame was down to the wire at 2-3 years.

The broadness of Microsoft's initiatives would have added inflexibility to the process. The interdependencies, complexity, and an implementation that experienced knock-on effects throughout the platform if elements were removed or changed are a source of overhead.
Microsoft aimed high, but that meant it needed to extend itself more, and it didn't seem to have many fallback plans if the world didn't respond to its initiatives just so.

Sony, for what it's worth, avoided some of this by not being strong enough or having broad enough interests to allow or get much benefit from all these things.

Durango is something designed in committee, a design whose basis have been settled upon too long ago.
Everything at this level involves a committee and organizational review. Unless you're a billionaire running your own vanity project, a multibillion dollar initiative with synergies across whole industries is going to have a lot of stakeholders.

If Microsoft's holistic platform and featureset had come together, in isolation this would have been a good committee.

There's basically two things here, Kinect and the memory choice.
Power consumption is a possible one not mentioned, where Sony's power budget was somewhat higher, in part because of the memory setup.
The camera argument is that, while it turns out not enough people care about standard cameras, only one was remotely close enough to being considered adequate that it was launched as standard.

The memory setup is a judgement call made years ago concerning one of the fundamental problems in modern computation, for which there is no one good answer at this time and for the consoles we actually still don't know who will be more right in the end.

Now that would have been where we could pick the immediate loser.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sony made all the mistakes and gave them a year head start.
That's a completely prejudiced assessment. XB360 got a lot right. The online was excellent off the back of XB. The CPU+GPU performance was better balanced than PS3 thanks to the bleeding-edge US design and clever eDRAM solution. They had games people wanted the box for. There were certainly mistakes made, but it's petty to belittle the accomplishments and mark XB360's success off as nothing more than Sony's failures, as if the market is dictated by Sony. Had PS3 been a little, perhaps it would have run away with last gen again, but the reality is Sony left and opening and MS were good enough to take it. That doesn't happen purely by chance.

As for PS4 vs XB1 in market power perception, the main problem seems to be devs wrestling with ESRAM. Given the same architecture, the two divergent approaches to BW have resulted in two different results, and in this case Sony 'got lucky'/'were smart' (delete as your bias interprets) and found a solution that gave relatively the best of all worlds. The problem MS has now is a platform that's visibly weaker in an age when people are more frequently talking about that, and I think moreso than early PS3 vs XB360 days. At least, I don't remember 40% resolution and framerate differences being common. There were differences and PS3 was weaker in multiplats, but not, as I perhaps erroneously recall, to such a degree. Furthermore, that changed considerably over time as renderers shifted away from being so XB360 friendly and devs managed to get Cell to pull its and RSX's weight. Given the similarities of PS4 and XB1, it doesn't look to me like MS can pull back towards parity in the same way, meaning they'll always have the notably inferior experience. And this is by design. MS wasn't going for a monster gaming machine - it was a cost effective Kinect platform. People shouldn't be surprised if it's not as capable at the mainstream games as that's a job XB1 wasn't originally intended to do so well. Which is where they now face a huge struggle IMO, because now they have turned XB1 into just a core-games machine where it has the noticeable disadvantage and probably always will have.

Are there any SKUs that disable odd numbers of CUs?
Down core CU redundancy depends on the number of engines in the GPU. A single engine is fine with odd numbers of CU's and there are single engine GCN parts with odd numbers of CU's.

This is mixing up a lot of different issues.
One is that projecting costs that far ahead in time does have a margin of error.
Another is that, while we don't know what AMD is charging for the SOC, the nature of these agreements is that there is a price schedule that cuts what Microsoft pays for it over time.

The projections could have an average or sustained cost value, not the initial cost.
Any teardowns would only have an instantaneous measure of cost, even if their estimates are accurate.
It may not reach $50, but it won't be as big a miss as it appeared right at launch.
I would like to agree but I can't Yukon was not the XB1, the GPU saw a 250% increase in CU count.
They had an option for eSRAM but were aiming primarily at eDRAM. It seems that they had reasonable hope for 22nm process to be available.
Microsoft was fine with no cores disabled, and clocked higher. Why do this?
It's not clear that you can disable just one without issue. The salvage SKUs for Jaguar are dual-core.

Clocks and disabled units would have been adjustable right up to the very end, and could even be changed right now if they felt like it.
This would have been decided after physical evaluation and statistical analysis of actual manufactured product.
Why has Microsoft's real-world experience been trumped by a design that pessimizes the CPU yield and salvage, while cutting the GPU's salvageability in half?
Improve yields, if indeed test wafer comes down great they may reevaluate.
I cut the redundancy on the GPU because the chip was significantly tinier and should have better yields.
But that is nit-picking, the idea was clearly to get the cost as low as possible. I mean whereas Yukon saw a huge boost in performance, cost got really high. In the mean time the strategy to extend their reach through tv integration, kinect, etc. did not change. It is quite different to ship @299$ and 499$ especially when your selling point is aimed toward the masses not your core market. We saw how that turned. Kinect is in a close to EOL state.
I will go back to what I think was wrong with the original Yukon later.
Possibly putting the cart before the horse.
This is quite likely drawn from IP everyone helped contribute to in some form, either in tech or money that funded the R&D. This is asking Microsoft to include a final proprietary product that didn't exist when they set down their own design, and one they may have helped bring into being through the act of designing the system they did.
Why reinvent the wheel? I did not include True Audio here to do kinect audio processing but because it part of recent AMF GPU like Bonaire, it brings nice benefits and might not take much silicon looking at Bonaire die size. I think it offers great bang for bucks.

Now for MSFT to develop its own solution , etc I'm iffy. MSFT is a software company foremost, that type of R&D investment looks misplaced to me. As I state I would have prefer a software solution running on SoC integrated to Kinect, making Kinect more autonomous and not depending on the processing power of the device it stream data. I would have enable apps both on the One and devices like tablets. Obviously cost more but ARM SoC goes down, their processing power increased, etc.
If they could not make it run on a cheap multi core arm SoC and that it requires specific silicon, that doesn't benefit from dynamic of existing market, needs to be improved or shrinked by MSFT (moar r&D) Well I'm close to think that it should not be commercialized altogether. MSFT is not Apple they don't do their own SoC in which the tech and related investment could be deployed and amortized.
What exactly is your time window for when an analysis of the situation would say things are "wrong"?
Are you viewing this solely from a console hardware perspective, or also including the large number of parallel initiatives that made up the platform?
It is not only hardware for me, they planned a significantly less potent system, selling @299$ in 2013, they did not touch the business plan in the slightest but shipped @499$.
That is what bothers me the most with the project as a whole. Yukon was coherent, with BC, low price, etc. Ultimately my opinion is that 2013 would have been too late to ship such a system.
The reason why they revamp it are not that important, what is important is that they jumped from 299$ 499$, price got completely disregarded. Yet at the time those slides were made (2010?) they were clever enough to guess the PS4 price right.
They should not have lost sight of the price as a determining factors. 499$ is freaking too expensive, shrink no longer happen that often it will be a long long while till they can offer the public the services they once envisioned to deliver @299$, one shrink might not be enough though they may agree to lose money.
Any effort with this level of complexity is going to have to pull the trigger ahead of time.
The SOC's design and manufacturing time frame was down to the wire at 2-3 years.
That is why I stated that the decision to go with 28nm process, give up on BC, and increase the system perf may have happen fall 2010 - early 2011 /not longer after those slides were created.
The broadness of Microsoft's initiatives would have added inflexibility to the process. The interdependencies, complexity, and an implementation that experienced knock-on effects throughout the platform if elements were removed or changed are a source of overhead.
Indeed, too heavy, may be not a strong enough lead.
Accounting /provisioning (not sure of the wording) is done for the R&D of this or that, there is not turning back, one can say but market changed, our strategy changed, etc. it is useless and he will get bad reviews. That is simplified view.

Yet they have that plan (Yukon) around 2010, a massive part of it was discarded and it really looks like they did not reevaluated it, properly at least, worth price which was critical was disregarded.

Sorry I can't help but think what steve Jobs reaction would be if anything Apple that was to ship @ 299$ for which price was critical but needed increase specs came back costing 499%, 66% more, with double the RAM than previously accounted for and 1 GB left unused /reserved for future use, some icing on the cake lets call it future proofing, quite possible an OS that eats twice the resources and that is just to speak about RAM. I think anti gravity may have happened and I expect a couple of things to fly out of the office or windows. <= that is joke but there is some truth to it.

If anything even the system I depicted could have been too expensive (let SHAPE inside if you want), it would have been match Durango, be more flexible, ultimately MSFT would still have 900P machine and Sony a 1080P to make it simple. May be MSFT need a 720P machine, gross characterization of system overall perfs but I hope you get what I mean and a commandable advantage in price (I speak about the system alone here), both to make up for kinect cost but also in the long run reach a price attractive to the masses significantly sooner.

Everything at this level involves a committee and organizational review. Unless you're a billionaire running your own vanity project, a multibillion dollar initiative with synergies across whole industries is going to have a lot of stakeholders.
I acknowledged that that was a poorly worded attempt at summing up my previous post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why Xbox One's ambitious media strategy failed

But of all the repositioning carried out this week, it's the removal of Kinect that feels most important, because it's the end of Microsoft's vision for an all-in-one entertainment system. In hindsight, packing in Kinect and making media integration central to the Xbox One proposition looks like an awful mistake. However, put into context, there were perfectly logical reasons for every single element of its failed strategy. So what were they? And what kind of legacy do they leave now that things have changed so dramatically?

Back