Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

The intent is simple and clear, if you have a STB, run it through the X1, and leave everything else exactly where you already have it. There isn't much point to have it pass-thru anything else.

It's Joker not I who is advocating using the Xbox One as an input for "laptop, tablet, Apple TV, video camera, phone, Google Chromecast, or anything that puts out video via hdmi." in a bid to unify the UI.

It's Joker not I who is advocating using the Xbox One as an input for "laptop, tablet, Apple TV, video camera, phone, Google Chromecast, or anything that puts out video via hdmi." in a bid to unify the UI.

Yeah, people here are more likely to have tons of devices which is why they tend to use a/v receivers with lots of inputs. I was the same, my a/v receiver has 6 hdmi inputs and I used to use all 6, although I use just two now. To those types of people a single hdmi-in won't seem as important. Most people though won't have tons of devices, and won't hook them all up at the same time. That's why one hdmi-in should be ok for most typical use, more so when the xb1 strives to replace the functionality of many other existing devices out there. I mean what are the odds a typical user has an Apple TV, Chromecast and Roku? More than likely they just have one of those, and Microsoft wants to replace that item on their shelf anyways with the xb1. The more seamless the xb1 can be in one's setup compared to those other devices, the more likely Microsoft can successful replace it and then tap into that new revenue stream.

I thought DVR functionality works only with XB1 games? You cant record anything AFAIK.
Some of the other features you mention are not unique to XB1.
Windows 8 apps could be a game changer though.
Sony doesnt appear to have a similar ecosystem to keep supplying the PS4 with apps. Unless they partner with google
That's what I heard too, but it could easily change in the future seeing how easy is to create a video and editing it. I think many Youtubers will really like that.

For me the key is the unification of an ecosystem. We are discussing the TV features and the channels it is going to support, and those things take time.

But what's obvious to me is that if I have the Xbox One I am going to have all my games, my photos -thus I can *torture* friends with them-, my video recordings, some of my TV services, my email -I have a Hotmail account-, perhaps some Windows 8 apps, 3rd party apss, my messages, and so on and so forth, all in one device.

This leads me to think that the next thing I am going to do is buying a Windows Phone -I have a Blackberry mobile phone-.

There is nothing that can beat that, and I could leave Facebook -I've deactivated my account for a few days, since I am not a regular there, nor I fancy it that much- and the like.

Like the saying goes here, with all of that at my hands, "I could laugh at the coloured fishes". :smile:

I would love to live that experience, but as ERP says, it's not the same using it one hour than living with it, we shall see.

Sorry, then I agree with you and Joker is wrong. :)

joker454 said:
That is part of the issue and almost impossible to explain. For simplicity sake let me just focus on only one aspect of the xb1, the hdmi-in, with a real world example from a couple I know that have a tv in their bedroom with two typical devices hooked to it, the tv receiver and a media player, I think it was a Western Digital model but I don't remember exactly. In any case, she never uses the media player. Never. Why? Because it's on a different input.

Hey, I definitely agree there is a certain segment of the population that are so technically challenged that multiple inputs are a nearly impossible hurdle. My parents are prime examples. But I don't think many of them would consider buying a game console, or be so enamored with online media to spend $500 for access. And if they just want Netflix or Hulu maybe they get a smartTV next time they upgrade. Hell, most people I know that can't switch inputs think Facebook is the root of all evil.

I land with soup on this one, doubt we'll ever get an app to play mkv's on either system so can't really replace the Western Digitals, Popcorn Hours, and XBMC players of the world. But then again, if someone is doing that, you can bet they know how to switch inputs.

MS would be smart to consider supporting AirPlay on X1 (if allowed). I think that might sway a few folks who are looking at them and are on the fence as it were.

There is plenty of Boxes that can do something similar here including some that includes the needed Card Reader for decryption and PVR. But that is hardly they point is it? I purchase a XB1 and then i buy the needed gear to get it working with over lay.. i don't think it's an option for what is offered (i might be one of those that tried of course).

For most people I don't think they would even bother. Either they hook up their Cable TV or Satellite box or nothing. But for me I would be willing to do it since I'll never pay for Cable or Satellite. Now I think there might be a few willing to hook up non-TV devices like the 360, PS3/4 or Wii/U. But it will only be for a niche audience.

Tommy McClain

The other thing I think both consoles need is a $99 add-on which provides back compat. If they can do remote play over wireless, then USB3.0 or the GB nic should provide enough bandwidth to run game control, dvd data streaming, and video from a stackable box.

Would require updating those old chips to support USB3 or GbE, and on the fly video encoding; so there's that. ;) But, I can't help but think that gets people on to new systems sooner. I hate the idea of dealing with 4 consoles.

Hey, I definitely agree there is a certain segment of the population that are so technically challenged that multiple inputs are a nearly impossible hurdle. My parents are prime examples. But I don't think many of them would consider buying a game console, or be so enamored with online media to spend $500 for access. And if they just want Netflix or Hulu maybe they get a smartTV next time they upgrade. Hell, most people I know that can't switch inputs think Facebook is the root of all evil.

The price is certainly high but it's launch time, early adopters will jump as will people with disposable income, they may as well milk those. Girls that don't bat an eyelid at spending $600 on a pair of high heels won't be deterred by a $500 price tag. But they are in a good position to drop it's price fast if needed given how it's a relatively basic build for a console.

I land with soup on this one, doubt we'll ever get an app to play mkv's on either system so can't really replace the Western Digitals, Popcorn Hours, and XBMC players of the world. But then again, if someone is doing that, you can bet they know how to switch inputs.

Yeah I kinda of doubt it as well alas but really hope I'm wrong there. I dump all my blurays to a raid unit, so if I could be watching Directv and say "Xbox play Die Hard" and it would play my bluray dump of Die Hard from raid, then I would buy an xb1 just for that one feature alone. More than likely though it won't do that and will focus on only supporting services and features that they can monetize somehow except for some basic essentials like h264 file playback or what have you, or support features required to knock out competitors.

MS would be smart to consider supporting AirPlay on X1 (if allowed). I think that might sway a few folks who are looking at them and are on the fence as it were.

Can that be licensed? Would be interesting if they could do that.

The other thing I think both consoles need is a $99 add-on which provides back compat. If they can do remote play over wireless, then USB3.0 or the GB nic should provide enough bandwidth to run game control, dvd data streaming, and video from a stackable box.

Would require updating those old chips to support USB3 or GbE, and on the fly video encoding; so there's that. ;) But, I can't help but think that gets people on to new systems sooner. I hate the idea of dealing with 4 consoles.
I will have to deal with 2 from now on and I also hate the idea. I don't have much space, and I am thinking about using the Xbox 360 without Kinect and connect it to the Xbox One via HDMI In to enjoy the things Xbox One doesn't have now, like Youtube and other apps, not to mention games, and at the same time keeping something familiar -I have to familiarise myself with the new interface first- all the time, not to get confused.

In your case perhaps it isn't worth the hassle if you don't play the other consoles often enough.

I've lost all confidence in my ability to predict what the general markets will accept when I surmised there would be no demand for a mobile phone OS based tablet, which was made worse when I fell in love with a freaking iPad.

That's strange, I thought right from the start that the iPad is going to own. The only real issues with smartphones were the small size of the screen and the limited battery life, made a lot of sense to fix these issues to create a better internet / media consumption device.

But then again Kubrick had the thing figured out in "2001" already... :D

Clarke made no mention of this stuff in the book, at least as far as I can tell; but Kubrick even had the design and form nailed down. In like, 1964.

I expect both PS3 and X360 to drop to $99 in a year or so...

Maybe so, but I was more referring to some sort of networked companion device that wouldn't need another TV input, set of controllers, optical drive, hard drive, etc. Just the chipset, memory, and some flash to be able to run old games using the new console.

Clarke made no mention of this stuff in the book, at least as far as I can tell; but Kubrick even had the design and form nailed down. In like, 1964.

Too bad, he didn't map a plan on how to get there. Ipad form factor was easy to surmise especially back in early 2000s and some early tabs sported the same form factor. But given smartphones existed well before the iphone nevermind the ipad, no one readily tried to use a mobile OS for a tab. At least no one with the capital to offer a commerically viable CE product.

The iPad/Android tabs won out due to simplicity and not trying to transition desktops like OSes to mobile devices. Apple kind of started from the opposite end of everybody else.

If consoles makes a big transition and gains massive adoption by the general market because of some new technology or feature set, we (gamers) will be the last to see it coming.

Well plugging anything into the X1 is a dubious proposition.

We'll see what the lure of voice is over the remote controls people have been using for decades.

But plug in other consoles? As opposed to plugging them in another input on the TV or the AVR?

Talk about daft.

Seen a pretty decent Xbox 360 ad on Hulu showcasing it's value...

"The most games. Your favorite apps. Thousands of games. Your favorite apps. Xbox 360 The best value in games and entertainment."

They show 7 game cases then Netflix, Hulu Plus & HBO Go. Then they end it with a sell on the Xbox 360 4GB + Kinect + 2 games for $249. I think it would have a had a bigger impact if they showed it without Kinect for $150 or less. Maybe we'll see more of this after XB1 launches & the stock is all gone. They should be able to stock the channel full of 360 systems for those that can't find the XB1.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/ad/288312

Tommy McClain

Well plugging anything into the X1 is a dubious proposition.

We'll see what the lure of voice is over the remote controls people have been using for decades.

But plug in other consoles? As opposed to plugging them in another input on the TV or the AVR?

Talk about daft.
I'd like to get everything in there. For the TV and app profiles that everyone can use, and quick access to stuff. It's gone if you're on another input. The downside would be no HDMI audio from the XBone.

I'd like to get everything in there. For the TV and app profiles that everyone can use, and quick access to stuff. It's gone if you're on another input. The downside would be no HDMI audio from the XBone.

How many things can you connect on the XB1? It has just one HDMI. If you connect another console there, you lose control of the TV channels through XB1. And you cant control the other console with your XB controller or Kinect either..
It looks more reasonable to have the AR as the main receiver where everything is connected on that and you use the AR to manage everything instead of the XB1 which also needs to be connected to the AR anyways if you want surround sound

The best option might be use the AR to connect to the XB1. Connect your Cable TV or Satellite set-top box & your Xbox 360 to the AR. Tell XB1 what set-top box you have so the XB1 IR blaster can change your channels, but use your Harmony or similar to control your 360 & receiver. This way your primary HDMI use is the TV, but your 360 gets the added benefit of working in overlay mode on the XB1 so you don't miss party invites & Skype messages. And yes, you would need separate Kinect & Xbox 360 controllers. Not a deal breaker for most.

Tommy McClain

Back