Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

Not saying it will have the WiiU's fate necessarily but the cost of the K2 will limit their flexibility, as the Pad has Nintendo with the WiiU.

Which is kind of the crux of the matter. No evident consumer hype for it right off the bat that I can see.

They might not have shown their full hand yet~

Rumor is they are running late. Perhaps when they are ready, then they will start the real push.

I dont understand the localization excuse related to voice commands behind the limited lunch of the XB1.
The console can work with or without voice commands. Its an option. Also its not like people dont speak English outside of the UK, Australia and the US. The console and game menus have been in English since forever.
The market is interested on the console globally for its games and features not for the voice commands
Should we be waiting from MS to create voice commands for Arabic, Russian, Greek, Turkish and other languages in order to see the console get a release in relevant territories?
And what next? Should every developer design voice commands for all these languages in order to release a game that supports voice commands in all territories?

XB1 now serves lunch? ;)

As for the language items, you're forgetting dialects. Within the US there are 9 major dialects that have to be dealt with. The UK has a few too. The same is true for other parts of the world who speak English. There are major dialect issues.

If you're in the US try watching the original version of "The Office" UK or "Snatch" it's nearly impossible to pick out wtf they're saying. Yes, technically they're speaking English but it's nowhere near what the US understands to be English. I can barely understand half my co-workers who speak English because of their dialects. (Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Russian, Australian, European, Texan, Canadian, etc...)

The bar behind the "Xbox On" command seems to circle around individual countries' privacy laws more than the capability to localize it.

Same applies for AU/NZ regions, I guess. Accented English shouldn't be harder than say, Portuguese.

Wiimote was a $249 system.

WiiUpad is a $300-$350 system?

K2 is a $500 system.

Yeah, sure, apart for its appeal and cool factor, Wii was cheaper than the competition.

But people forget that XO is a nextgen system from a console POV, weaker somehow than PS4? yes, but i believe within 20% performance wise.

Don´t get me wrong, I´d rather pay 399 than 499, but i don´t see its price like a scam, in this post iphone world

Wiimote was a $249 system.

WiiUpad is a $300-$350 system?

K2 is a $500 system.

Price was very important with the wii as was the pack-in game as well as the wii-mote. One thing in favor of the kinect 2 and different from the wii is that the XB1 will support apps to go along with the kinect. Those apps could be cheap deals that take advantage of specific things that the kinect does well.

PSEye on PS3 already had a mic array for voice input. Came to nothing.

From a dumb consumer POV, yeah, maybe. But in terms of what you actually get, PS4's camera provides virtually nothing in contrast to XB1's which will be providing some voice input for some countries and others eventually, maybe, and some real Kinect games, all three of 'em, five in the launch window (who'll likely represent half of the total Kinect games released in the next years excluding sequels), plus the potential to maybe augment traditional games which might never happen. So XB1 has a lot more promise in that regard... :yep2:

Or rather, I think the camera bundle something of a sham by Sony until they prove that money spent on the camera will actually have some decent return.

Well, it will be interesting for sure. The Playroom will be included with all PS4s (even those that don't have a PS Eye apparently), and apparently that thing can be expanded - Double Fine seems to be working on that. I also just read that Octodad now supports the Move controller (and there's footage out there to show it, seems to work much better actually). Then there's still the Media Molecule thing coming, and of course various features use the camera (Twitch.TV support was mentioned next to UStream, and the former actually requires a webcam if I understand correctly, and of course various other such streaming features have shown to support the camera). Just Dance 4 should support it too.

It's still not an easy sell, or as powerful as including it in the box, but certainly it seems a little early to tell. Now I know you've been burnt on the PS Eye and everything, so I understand where you're coming from, but I'm coming from Move support, and that was pretty substantial, and now at the very least doesn't seem to go away - if anything, it may benefit from many of the basic features already working with the DS4.

Still it's not an easy sell and won't likely be as consistent as it could have been with a clearer vision. BUt from the looks of things, they're all but gone.

XB1 now serves lunch? ;)

As for the language items, you're forgetting dialects. Within the US there are 9 major dialects that have to be dealt with. The UK has a few too. The same is true for other parts of the world who speak English. There are major dialect issues.

If you're in the US try watching the original version of "The Office" UK or "Snatch" it's nearly impossible to pick out wtf they're saying. Yes, technically they're speaking English but it's nowhere near what the US understands to be English. I can barely understand half my co-workers who speak English because of their dialects. (Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Russian, Australian, European, Texan, Canadian, etc...)

"Launch" God damn it! You know what I meant :LOL:
Even if I take dialects into the equation it still doesnt make sense to not release the console globally.

Even if I take dialects into the equation it still doesnt make sense to not release the console globally.

Well they get only one chance to make a first impression. They are better off waiting until they can offer the full experience in the markets for which the software isn't up to snuff, rather than release a partially complete machine and get crucified for it the forum of public opinion.

Back