Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

Two places anybody can get Day 1 Xbox unbundled online right now: place 1 place 2

Can you find me any unbundled PS4 preorders online? I'll wait. Heck if you do find any let me know, I'll buy 'em!...
I'm not sure that proves your point. Perhaps the only reason you can still get preorders in the US is because another 5% of the launch consoles have been redirected there, whereas Sony's stock is spread much thinner over more launch countries?

There seems to be a leaked PS4 bundle in Europe

From IGN

IGN said:
PlayStation 4 Bundle Contains Killzone, Camera, Second Controller

Sony is set to release a PlayStation 4 bundle that'll include a game and extra accessories for the same price the Xbox One will retail at in Europe.

Though the bundle hasn't been officially announced, that ever-trusty bastion of leaks Amazon France has revealed it'll include a copy of Killzone: Shadow Fall, the PlayStation 4 Camera and two DualShock 4 controllers. All this in addition to a Jet Black 500GB PlayStation 4 console.

At the moment the bundle is listed for retail at €499; the exact same amount as Microsoft's European Xbox One price.

IMO this is a great move on Sony's part in comparison to the Fifa bundle for the xbox one. If this bundle becomes available in the US do you guys think Microsoft would be forced to release a US bundle of their own?

Pricing a Bundle with a camera+game is a very smart decision, if the consumer does not differentiate Kinect from PS Eye that 499€ bundle would seem like a better value.

Bundling a nigh useless peripheral doesn't strike me as good value. ;) What are buyers of that bundle going to do with the camera? What camera games dose it come with? What motion interface? What voice controls?

Bundling a nigh useless peripheral doesn't strike me as good value. ;) What are buyers of that bundle going to do with the camera? What camera games dose it come with? What motion interface? What voice controls?

I agree on the camera part, but if you look at the side by side comparison the "average" consumer will see Xbox one - camera, controller, and FIFA vs ps4 - camera, 2 controllers, and Killzone.

You get more with the ps4 for the same price.

Also, again, there are more preorders available in the USA right now than there are for PS4.

Also, again, MS recently decided to include a free pack in game in Europe, where before, there was no free pack in game. We can conclude more people will buy Xbox after the inclusion of a popular pack in game for free, than before, Please, somebody, anybody, explain that to me if supply is so constrained.

All we can imply is that XB1 supply relative to demand is higher in the US than the PS4.
But we don't know whether that's due to demand or supply.

(and even that implication is unsafe - it may be that Sony are reserving more consoles for Brick & Mortar sales than MS etc).

Haha, obviously Sony should be offering some features at launch, for example it looks that PS Eye is getting voice recognition...

2UcXyl7.jpg

What i meant is that, although PS4 is cheaper, a lot of consumers think XBONE + Kinect offers a better value even at a higher price. What Sony is doing is promoting doubt saying "Hey, you want voice commands, videochat and so on? Well, here you have a bundle that offers you all that plus a game at the same price of our competitor"

Obviously Kinect is superior to PS Eye, but if the average consumer can't tell the diference, it really doesn't matter much.

Haha, obviously Sony should be offering some features at launch, for example it looks that PS Eye is getting voice recognition...

It does seem to me that Sony is trying very hard to make sure they have a "Reggie check that box" feature parity at least on paper with MS. But at least to me, they are hurting their own effort by not bundling the camera. I think it and the DS4 LED will become an after thought.

PSEye on PS3 already had a mic array for voice input. Came to nothing.

Obviously Kinect is superior to PS Eye, but if the average consumer can't tell the diference, it really doesn't matter much.
From a dumb consumer POV, yeah, maybe. But in terms of what you actually get, PS4's camera provides virtually nothing in contrast to XB1's which will be providing some voice input for some countries and others eventually, maybe, and some real Kinect games, all three of 'em, five in the launch window (who'll likely represent half of the total Kinect games released in the next years excluding sequels), plus the potential to maybe augment traditional games which might never happen. So XB1 has a lot more promise in that regard... :yep2:

Or rather, I think the camera bundle something of a sham by Sony until they prove that money spent on the camera will actually have some decent return.

Couple of years from now, there still won't be some new revolutionary game control mechanic due to motion controls.

There may be some hit motion-control games, like Wii Sports. But most people will play most games with controllers.

The revolution isn't happening.

PSEye on PS3 already had a mic array for voice input. Came to nothing.

From a dumb consumer POV, yeah, maybe. But in terms of what you actually get, PS4's camera provides virtually nothing in contrast to XB1's which will be providing some voice input for some countries and others eventually, maybe, and some real Kinect games, all three of 'em, five in the launch window (who'll likely represent half of the total Kinect games released in the next years excluding sequels), plus the potential to maybe augment traditional games which might never happen. So XB1 has a lot more promise in that regard... :yep2:

Or rather, I think the camera bundle something of a sham by Sony until they prove that money spent on the camera will actually have some decent return.

Just to make it clear, i don't disagree with you, but i still think it's a smart business decision and with proper marketing showing some Kinect-like features on PS Eye they could steal some sales from MS.

Two places anybody can get Day 1 Xbox unbundled online right now: place 1 place 2

Can you find me any unbundled PS4 preorders online? I'll wait. Heck if you do find any let me know, I'll buy 'em!

They are sold out. Completely.

I dont know if you're in the USA TKF, so you may not be familiar with out market, the big chains, etc. I am...

I can promise you PS4 is past the point where if any did pop up in stock, they'd be snatched and hoarded by scalpers.

Doesn't that kind of prove the opposite? The demand for the PS4 has outstripped supply, whilst the XBone still has units up for grabs.

Doesn't that kind of prove the opposite? The demand for the PS4 has outstripped supply, whilst the XBone still has units up for grabs.

No no no, MS has produced so many XB1 they can't sell them all while Sony has made a small amount of consoles and easily sold them.

Why Sony is doing a 32 country launch is beyond me though.

No no no, MS has produced so many XB1 they can't sell them all while Sony has made a small amount of consoles and easily sold them.

Why Sony is doing a 32 country launch is beyond me though.

But we don't know how many units were allocated to each territory do we. Both Sony and MS could have had a million units in America. Sony's sold all of them, MS has sold 3/4. Remember that is was the sight of some of the pre-order numbers that scared MS so much in the beginning. When they were doing that two step dance between insanity and self destruction.

2UcXyl7.jpg

I'll believe it when I see it working (well) on a retail PS4 ! :runaway:

Sony does need something exciting to differentiate from the other gadgets releasing this fall. Specializing in core gamers is helpful, but I am hoping they show something palatable to people like my wife too.

Come on, at least show us a preview of the full online experiences. It should be working in Foster City now right ?

EDIT: Yes, yes, I pre-ordered a PSEye.

I was being facetious, I don't know any know any numbers for anywhere, produced or ordered. I just like Ranger's reading on the lack of data.

http://www.edge-online.com/features...n-in-conversation-with-playstations-jim-ryan/

There was no mention on Gaikai’s services in the conference, can you give us an update on when that will roll out?

Yeah sure and I’ll tell you why is wasn’t touched upon last night. So the plan is to begin with North America next year and the plan is to provide a streaming service that will allow for PS3 content initially to be streamed to firstly PS4 then PS Vita and then PS3.

And so that will happen in 2014 in North America initially. Now, and I touched upon these issues of broadband in Europe during the presentation – Europe is of course on the roadmap for that service to be deployed at some point in the future, but for reasons outside of our control we don’t yet have a timeline for it. So at a show which is now pretty global in its reach but primarily aimed at a European audience, we didn’t really want to start talking about the virtues of this great cloud-based service without knowing exactly when it’ll come to Europe.

I'll believe it when I see it working (well) on a retail PS4 ! :runaway:

Sony does need something exciting to differentiate from the other gadgets releasing this fall. Specializing in core gamers is helpful, but I am hoping they show something palatable to people like my wife too.
Indeed. The Toshiba AR face demo way back in the days of Cell excitement pointed to a whole host of advanced experiences that could attract a diverse audience. I'm sure back then we talked about Home having stores where people could go in and try virtual clothes to see how it'd suit them before buying in RL. There's so much more that can be done, the lack of vision by these companies is suffocating!

Back