Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

So you can select a language at least. And available languages cover a lot of the launch territories, but it's not ideal.

"Xbox On" detection likely uses a different subsystem that is adapted to use as little power as possible compared to all other voice commands.

Sorry, that is nonsense. It says countries, not language. They are clearly turning off the feature based on your location, regardless if you speak a supported language.

Sorry, that is nonsense. It says countries, not language. They are clearly turning off the feature based on your location, regardless if you speak a supported language.

Was there a fuss kicked up anywhere about Xbox "always listening" that they might have to deal with?

You'd think at least 8 countries would have this feature.

They've made life difficult for themselves. I am glad they're trying something interesting with XBone though.

There is always 'something' sinister behind any information MS puts out. *sigh*

In my country, MS denied the RRoD and disc scratch problems for years, until a small independent TV programme brought them on their knees.

So people don't really believe them anymore. Imagine, having gone through 4 xboxes, being xbox less for months total, and MS claiming " failure-rate is perfectly within industry standard "

You will never believe a word!

Yes I think Nelson had something on his blog about a surprise.

Ekim - you should do an AAA "Ask Albert Anything" thread.

Here is my question if you do - will media center be supported on the X1, or otherwise how will current media center cable card users take advantage of X1 (example 360 via HDMI in to X1 but with Kinect VC control)?

This is just strange, you support some voice features in 8 languages, but "Xbox on" in 5?
"XBox On" is a fully contained subsystem, and I'm assuming he means the localised version of "XBox On", based on the language you choose at setup.

If I were a guessin' man, and I am, the 8 languages are for cloud based recognition stuff, and the 5 languages are for console-only recognition (the stuff that works even if you're offline, like "play", "pause", etc)

Panello also confirmed that much of the issues they are struggling with (in General) are related to the drm reversal and all that seemingly entails within the scheme of launching

"XBox On" is a fully contained subsystem, and I'm assuming he means the localised version of "XBox On", based on the language you choose at setup.

If I were a guessin' man, and I am, the 8 languages are for cloud based recognition stuff, and the 5 languages are for console-only recognition (the stuff that works even if you're offline, like "play", "pause", etc)

I can tell you why language is NOT the reason for the delays:
The Netherlands (where I reside).
Allow me to explain:
My Windows Phone 8 does not support any (cloud based) voice recognition in our language.
And it won't when the new xbox launches in our country.
So there you have it, a country which will never have it's own language should have gotten the console.

I can let you in on a little insight. Two words: "yields" and "(cable)company". One has to do with total number of consoles. The other one has to do with: "we are sorry to report that the cool tv-features which our entire system is built around (DDR3) are not available in your region".

In a few months time, you will see the truth:

1) no Dutch language in 2014, even though Xbox1 will launch in that year
2) low number of consoles sold, even when taking into account the severely reduced consumer anticipation of the next xbox system
3) no tv-cable deals in the Netherlands at launch.

It's not 5 languages, it's 5 countries which have 3 official languages in total.

Except Panello already confirmed more than 3 languages are supported at launch. For the other countries in the launch window which don't have official support, you'll still be able to choose a language. They just likely don't have support for all dialects/accents for those countries and hence can't officially support it in those countries.

Regards,
SB

I can tell you why language is NOT the reason for the delays:
The Netherlands (where I reside).
Allow me to explain:
My Windows Phone 8 does not support any (cloud based) voice recognition in our language.
And it won't when the new xbox launches in our country.
So there you have it, a country which will never have it's own language should have gotten the console.

I can let you in on a little insight. Two words: "yields" and "(cable)company". One has to do with total number of consoles. The other one has to do with: "we are sorry to report that the cool tv-features which our entire system is built around (DDR3) are not available in your region".

In a few months time, you will see the truth:

1) no Dutch language in 2014, even though Xbox1 will launch in that year
2) low number of consoles sold, even when taking into account the severely reduced consumer anticipation of the next xbox system
3) no tv-cable deals in the Netherlands at launch.

Did you ever think they are just writing the Netherlands off as not worth their time. ;)

There is always 'something' sinister behind any information MS puts out. *sigh*
That's because their message is inconsistent and contradictory. They've only themselves to blame when people try to join the dots and find the only solution that produces logic they recognise is to add some dots of their own . If you want people to trust you, don't go around giving different stories to different folk and changing your position.

...For the other countries in the launch window which don't have official support, you'll still be able to choose a language.
Only if they let you. For some bizarre reason they are limiting people's options, so if you live in Italy you are only allowed to use Italian, even if you are an English teacher or an American immigrant. I don't have any limit on what languages I'm allowed to choose for Windows, so why are MS doing this with their console? If the language options were wide open, they could let people decide themselves based on their own personal preference. And it'd be easier to code as well! You wouldn't have to filter the language results by country, but instead just present the full list of supported languages. MS have made work for themselves to produce a more restrictive platform. It's worth in some places like the UK there is a notable foreign population who'd prefer to use their native language at home. Languages that should be available to the UK are English, Polish, Urdu, Hindi, Italian, Welsh, Chinese (whatever flavour as used by those powering our essential Chinese Takeaway industry!), along with all the European languages due to the free movement of Europeans. A simple geographical limitation to the official languages is myopic.

Should, because? Oh, Reasons.

Microsoft:
"We won't release the console in certain areas, not because we have yield problems or something, no, the truth is: we don't have the speech recognition for that area up to our great standards, and, at MicroSoft, we stand for quality and we take great pride in our work. So to provide the user with the best possible experience, we will release when the speech recognition is ready."

People in the Netherlands:
It's great that you have such a honest way of communicating, as well as such, great quality standards, for which we applaud you.
Though you must know, that you won't support our language, at least 100% not in 2014, let alone when the Xbox One, great name btw!, finally launches in 2014..
So now that we have asserted that the language won't be a problem in our region, you can just release the console here, after all, if the Dutch language was a problem, then we would not see an Xbox One in 2014, and possible not until 2015, if ever!

Microsoft:
...Have you seen Titanfall?

Also, bonus

fanboys
See, there are no yield problems! If there were, then MS would have certainly said so! It's a shame that it won't release in a lot of countries this year, but who cares when it's to ensure the best possible speech recognition to the awesome, amazing, and revolutionairy improved Kinect?? MS is the greatest!!

The English accent isn't so much the problem - at least, Siri as it works in the iPad/iPhone works for most people I know. The really huge issue comes from not being able to recognise names and places, unless I know the English word for them. It's a bit of a stretch for us to find a way to pronounce Carlijn (my wife's name, which Siri gets as 'Lane'), or Maastricht ('plastic' !), etc.

But the sentences 'find me a bookstore in Maastricht', the original sentence is fine. Just that it doesn't understand Maastricht makes it all useless. Same for names.

But trying the same thing with 'Amsterdam' and pronouncing it in more or less an English way, works fine.

I can definitely see some use for it, but yes, there's some ways to go. Right now, all I can use it reliably for is setting an alarm, but that works well enough that I prefer to do it like this. The more you can do with a device, the more useful such shortcuts actually become.

I just taught my wife how to use voice to start an app, and this saves her from searching. She likes it.

It's clearly not a yield issue that's already been established.

The countries lopped off to tier too are 16% by population and much lower than that by volume of hardware sales. But even if you went crazy and thought it was 16% of hardware sales, it's still only 16%. Not 20, not 30, not 40, not 50%. 16%.

This is just fact. No matter how much it's ignored it remains as a fact.

Also, again, the SEC would be all over MS if they lied about this.

Also, again, there are more preorders available in the USA right now than there are for PS4.

Also, again, MS recently decided to include a free pack in game in Europe, where before, there was no free pack in game. We can conclude more people will buy Xbox after the inclusion of a popular pack in game for free, than before, Please, somebody, anybody, explain that to me if supply is so constrained.

Offtopic: I understand, even though, on my iPhone 4 (which has offline speech recognition/no Siri) the Dutch language works good enough! "hoe laat is het" "speel nummers van xxxx af" "bel ...... "
The only thing is you need to use a northern accent (with the sharp "r" and "g") and then it will work perfectly.

On my Mac I have 10.8 currently installed; it includes dictation, and even though I have a Dutch accent while speaking English, I will post a sentence here so you can see how well it (hopefully works):
"this is a test for the website be on Freedy which I will demonstrate how to use the dictation feature on my new Mac as well as I don't know what I want to say right now so I'll just quit "
It didn't register the pauses correctly, and I bolded the incorrect part, but aside from that, it works really well! If you are at the MediaMarkt or any store where they have Macs; just have a text entry-field selected and double tap the "fn" key and off you go.

Ontopic: I think MS can get excellent companies to produce the voice recognition software, for any language, though again, I think it is just PR.

Finally some hard data, how did you get it..

Two places anybody can get Day 1 Xbox unbundled online right now: place 1 place 2

Can you find me any unbundled PS4 preorders online? I'll wait. Heck if you do find any let me know, I'll buy 'em!

They are sold out. Completely.

I dont know if you're in the USA TKF, so you may not be familiar with out market, the big chains, etc. I am...

I can promise you PS4 is past the point where if any did pop up in stock, they'd be snatched and hoarded by scalpers.

Back