Microsoft Xbox Reveal Event - May 21, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use my PS3 almost to exclusion this generation. It was mostly due to the fact that PS3 came with wifi built in when it dropped and I didnt feel like buying the 100 dollar wifi adapter for the xbox. Who ever thought up that price point for a wifi peripheral was a stone idiot.

From there i never really went back...

I can't say that I lean one way or another in any generation. I usually get most boxes in a generation.

Genesis and Super NES - preferred the Genesis
Saturn and PS1 - preferred the Saturn
Dreamcast, Xbox and Gamecube - they got equal love from me although i will say the Dreamcast was probably my favorite console ever. I still have my 9.9.99 shirt. Never got a PS2
Wii, 360 and PS3 - PS3 was my preferred box this generation mostly because of bluray and built in wifi.

This gen? I'm leaning Xbox One, not sure about the PS4. Wasnt really impressed by KZ footage (never mind that i cant play FPS'). Knack was cool but seemed a little bit LBP to me. *shrug*

As I have gotten older more of the features of the Xbox One appealed to me. They showed ME exactly why i would choose their box over just a games machine at the reveal.

Last edited by a moderator:
What further news did we get afterwards? Cockblocked used games, 24-hour mandatory check to see if you're a pirate, region-lock and the console won't turn on if the Kinect isn't connected (oh but no worries, Microsoft assures you they won't ever let anyone access it because you can turn it off through software. Suuure).
All tempests in a teacup. The used game story will be comparable across both platforms. Most customers will never even notice. When was the last time your 360/PS3 was offline for more than 24 hours? If this tidbit is even true (which is unclear), it's going to be a complete non-issue. And as to Kinect being connected, it's a mandatory controller, every game will use it, _of course_ it will need to be connected.

I've seen the data they collect by default, and your itunes collects more data than this thing does. What gets reported back to MS in audio is average ERLE (echo cancellation performance), average recognition success rate, and any software errors that get caught. And that's if you opt in. _Nothing_ gets sent back or stored if you do not opt in. Cloud recognition necessarily sends your voice to the cloud for matching, but most of the system does not use cloud recognition, only conversational recognition tends to, but it's no different than using siri. It only activates when you ask it to, it's not sending a constant stream to the cloud.

Now, if you opt in to beta testing or voice collection, then your video and voice gets uploaded and stored (but only when you are in the apps made for this, like voice studio or the kinect clip creator), and used for improving the system. Most of that is done by machines, but every so often a person will see your video to resolve an issue. Having seen some of those videos, there are some things you cannot unsee... But again, it's an explicit opt in for a specific purpose.

I've seen the data they collect by default, and your itunes collects more data than this thing does. What gets reported back to MS in audio is average ERLE (echo cancellation performance), average recognition success rate, and any software errors that get caught. And that's if you opt in. _Nothing_ gets sent back or stored if you do not opt in. Cloud recognition necessarily sends your voice to the cloud for matching, but most of the system does not use cloud recognition, only conversational recognition tends to, but it's no different than using siri. It only activates when you ask it to, it's not sending a constant stream to the cloud.

A doubt: can voice commands works offline?

Now, if you opt in to beta testing or voice collection, then your video and voice gets uploaded and stored (but only when you are in the apps made for this, like voice studio or the kinect clip creator), and used for improving the system. Most of that is done by machines, but every so often a person will see your video to resolve an issue. Having seen some of those videos, there are some things you cannot unsee... But again, it's an explicit opt in for a specific purpose.

Oh, man. Time to opt-in for some full-frontal beta testing. Get ready Team Xbox. I'm going to bombard you with dick pics.

I believe the answer to this was yes, but not as well.

I asking because Kinect is mandatory, we can turn off the camera but it looks like voice commands will remain active (I don't have any problem with this). Maybe that's the reason for "you will need an internet connection", or one of the reasons, no internet = no voice command.

But I'm only guessing.

They certainly have to provide alternate input methods other than kinect, so it's hard to believe we wouldn't be able to simply disconnect it entirely, and not play the kinect games if that's not our kind of game.

...on a summer day, kids around large appartment buildings with windows open would scream "xbox on! play justin bieber! volume 100!". Or "xbox delete music folder! confirm!". If I were a teenager I'd do that.

Will the MS natural speech recognition be first debutted on Xone?. Is true Xone will talk to you?.I wonder this because the only one i know till now is the Siri engine.Not even Google has it AFAIK as you have to use very concrete commands to do something.

They certainly have to provide alternate input methods other than kinect, so it's hard to believe we wouldn't be able to simply disconnect it entirely, and not play the kinect games if that's not our kind of game.

Is supposed some kinect features will be availabe to all games at system level, just like cross game chat in Xbox 360, I guess it is the reason why Kinect is mandatory (it is on vgleaks text).

EDIT: Do you know what can be great? a DRM with time expiration. Think about it, some codes for days at different prices, $5 dollars for a 5 days DRM, $10 for 10 days and so. It can be great for renting @blockbuster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is supposed some kinect features will be availabe to all games at system level, just like cross game chat in Xbox 360, I guess it is the reason why Kinect is mandatory (it is on vgleaks text).
Didn't they also say you can disable the camera completely in the system menu?
And for voice rec, what if I don't want to disturb others sleeping? What if I'm mute, or cannot speak english?

Judging by how 360 works, each controller will work for almost everything. Generally it has not been hard to setup a project with different input types available so I can't see them making it harder.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Exactly. I think the kotaku article saying kinect MUST to be connected at all times for the xbox to function is possibly BS. If logic dictates they will still provide alternate methods (smartphone, controller, etc...) for all basic functions, there's no reasonable use case where it's absolutely necessary to operate the xbox except for the kinect-specific games and convenience features shown at the conference.

Core gamers will simply leave it in the box if they don't expect to use it (or don't have the sufficient WAF to install it in the living room).

How can it be BS?

Kinect is required for every game, it's supposedly in the TRCs and bkilian has already semi confirmed in this thread this is the case., so how is going to work without one plugged in?

So 3 is absolute lack but 5 is catering to gamers? Or was it the amount of time they showed the games ? If MS has more games at E3 than Sony are any of the usual suspects going to change their tune (ok we know that will never happen) or is it too late for that?

I think the issue is mainly that they did a repeat of all E3 since Kinect for the first 40 minutes. Talking to the Xbox, and gesture.
Then they showed the 5 sports-games wich is multiplatform, but didn't show anything except a trailer or two.

First party, Forza we know what is - but the new IP, Quantum something, we didn't get to know anything about. It were just a boat crashing into a bridge and some live action stuff - if it had been called Ports of Call HD, everyone would be excited, but we didn't get to know anything about the game, not even told what genre it is in - and the trailer didn't reveal anything. Noone get's excited about that.

It were a wasted hour, MS talked about TV - while Sony did show gameplay and talk about the games.
As a gamer, that's what we want. :)

I don't recall one minute of game play from the MS event. Some pre-rendered sports montages, a live action movie of a strange girl with a few second of something resembling a game and a slow-mo non-game play of two cars. I left at the COD part, did they play the game on the XB1?

It would have been nice to see a couple if people holding controllers and playing game or two, not just a few suits talking about TV and Skype.

People can say they are waiting for E3, but first impressions are important, so why squander it? They had three more months to prep than Sony and still managed to come with nothing as far as game play is concerned. I'm worried they are just behind and are stalling.

I tried browsing through and searching, but couldn't find it - has MS said anywhere how much computing power they're putting to the cloud per console? I have distinct memory of seeing some number somewhere but can't find where.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back