Microsoft Xbox Reveal Event - May 21, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
But what days are you thinking of exactly?

It took ages for certain people to accept that RSX is much weaker than it was believed to be; and Joker got a LOT of flak for pointing it out for years or so.

The general consensus was that PS3 is faster and stronger and better and any disparity between multiplatform releases is caused by 'lazy devs'.

Don't tell me you don't remember ;)

And let's not get back to the original Xbox...

There's a lot of room under ps3 launch pricing and the article almost suggests 360+kinect so still talking under $549.

I wouldn't be surprised to see x1 at $349 anything much less will need a contract.

Yes, most certainly. And those Arcade games are always some pretty shitty stuff too.

The attitude against MS is back to the good old days. Long live Sony, they are always the best!

I don't think the attitude ever went away. It's just had a rest whilst MS, for once, stopped being bland mega corp and openly embraced popular culture. Now they're back to doing what they do best and that's to try and force a market to do what they want, not what the market wants.

It's not that Sony are any different really, they just aren't so blatantly obnoxious about it.

I find it amusing Sony showed two more games in an extra hour and somehow they became the champion of the gamer. Every time there's something vague on these forums lately it means Sony is doing good and MS evil. The expectations are amusing. Get over yourselves it's going to be business as usual they are still Sony and MS.

Not the champion of the gamer, but you have to admit, there is something not quite right by not showing any actual in-game footage in a 1 hour show? They didn't need to have a developer on the stage talking about the title for 10 minutes followed by a 15 minute presentation....all they needed to do was show a 1-2 min compilation for said game including obvious actual in-game play...they didn't do this.

What does this suggest to me? Most likely one of two things! Either their in-game play isn't ready to showcased or that they are extremely limited with regards to proper in-game play that they have decided to leave it another 3 weeks until E3.

Don't forget that Sony showcased lengthy footage of both KZ:Shadowfall & Knack in Feb. We are now over 3 months later and Microsoft can't or won't showcase any proper footage.

No wonder people are beginning to feel that the Xbox One already has a hill to climb when Microsoft is primarily pushing this unit as an All-In-One Media System rather than a Games Console with Unique Abilities.

Add to this the rumours that the In-House developers are struggling to get 1st Party titles ready in time to release with the Xbox One on launch day....that's why people are a little perturbed TBH.

We now have less than 2 weeks until Microsoft hold their E3 conference, and they WILL have to come out with all guns blazing and show some rather amazing titles and please relegate the TV/Media stuff out of their conference for their own good. If this doesn't happen, they could be on a hiding to none unless Sony come up shorthanded....but this is very doubtful.

I don't think the attitude ever went away. It's just had a rest whilst MS, for once, stopped being bland mega corp and openly embraced popular culture. Now they're back to doing what they do best and that's to try and force a market to do what they want, not what the market wants.

It's not that Sony are any different really, they just aren't so blatantly obnoxious about it.

How exactly did you come to the conclusion that MS announcing a lifestyle gaming device is less about popular culture than Sony's "mega-niche gaming console"?

If anything, MS' reveal event was about embracing the technology use-cases of popular culture and, in case you haven't noticed, nerd nation is about to storm the castle in Redmond over it.

Or they wanted to show games at a proper venue for gamers where people will actually be able to play them a bit. Because 19 days is forever in forum warriors years.

Somebody's been here for a decade and this place is like home. Now uninvited guests are messing the place up all around.
Somebody is very controlled, for now.

+1 Can't believe some of us have been here that long. Definitely like home.

Tommy McClain

People just need to accept its a one sided argument for a reason. You cannot spend 7 years lording it over ps3 fans like some have and then not expect the reverse to happen when the shoe is on the other foot.

You have all gotten far too defensive and should just get over it.

People just need to accept its a one sided argument for a reason. You cannot spend 7 years lording it over ps3 fans like some have and then not expect the reverse to happen when the shoe is on the other foot.

Whatever this means, its off topic.

There's a lot of room under ps3 launch pricing and the article almost suggests 360+kinect so still talking under $549.

I wouldn't be surprised to see x1 at $349 anything much less will need a contract.

I think you need to use $399 and $499 for launch price points though right?

EDIT: I dont know why i chose to take the high-end xbox SKU and the low-end PS3 SKU pricing, just felt like the right way to go about it...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ahaha.

Your brand wasn't best for the last 7 years so the first chance you have you get to act like a prick? Is that what you just said? Would it be too much to ask until the products have playable games before you start trumpeting your superiority, because you've been here before and it didn't turn out so well.

I am trumpeting nothing but the outrage being shown is way over the top and certainly from some that had a good time themselves for the last few years.

The way I see it we have two different consoles that don't even compare. Both trying to achieve different things both likely to succeed.

Even as someone that uses my PS3 almost exclusively more than my 360... I feel its the other way around...

People are clearly extrapolating the vocal technorati's poopooing of MS' most recent OS (which sold 100 million in 6 months mind you ) to Xbox One.

Some people live to bash MS and thats ok. The problem is that counter to popular belief, MS keeps growing stronger. It defies logic even for supporters such as myself but they they always grow even in the most adversarial technological journalistic environment.

I'm taking a wait and see approach to E3.

Yes, most certainly. And those Arcade games are always some pretty shitty stuff too.

The attitude against MS is back to the good old days. Long live Sony, they are always the best!

because Laa-yosh pointed out some obvious bias?

I agree to some extent - I'm finding myself on the side of Microsoft for many of the discussions, which typically happens when I feel one side is getting too much flack for the wrong reasons.

And what exactly are these "wrong reasons"?

Does it occur to any of you that maybe most of the criticism you see all around is coming from people without a preconceived bias towards any of the two companies? And maybe that makes said opinions worth as much as yours?

I absolutely hated Sony during the PS3's announcement and early days. The sheer arrogance, consecutive PR disasters and downright disrespect for their customers made me run from their products for a long time. Not to mention the PS3's high price, which was boosted by Sony's agenda of using gamers to turn the tide of optical formats to their favor (bluray drive).

Then Sony got better, but Microsoft? To me, Microsoft was king of everything done right in that time. They launched a cheaper console a year before PS3 that eventually proved to be more progressive in the GPU side, had competitive SKUs all the time, good exclusives, best e-store, good PR, unified controller schemes between Xbox and Windows games.. Save for the RROD issue (which Microsoft handled formidably by actually extending the warranty on their consoles) hat's not to like about the X360?

For the next generation, before the reveal I was really leaning towards the new xbox. I watched the reveal live because I thought it was going to be great.
I was rooting for them to show an evolution to SmartGlass that would finally become a "Wii U done right", with xbox games being playable on any windows machine in the home network; examples of Illumiroom boosting game experiences and live game demos to assure us that we shouldn't worry about the performance deficit to PS4.

What did we get instead? TV, TV remote gimmicks, TV sports for americans, TV picture-in-picture, TV series, live-action footage as game trailers, pre-rendered trailers, call of duty and a dog.

What further news did we get afterwards? Cockblocked used games, 24-hour mandatory check to see if you're a pirate, region-lock and the console won't turn on if the Kinect isn't connected (oh but no worries, Microsoft assures you they won't ever let anyone access it because you can turn it off through software. Suuure).

So go ahead and call us/me biased. I don't care, I'm perfectly at peace with the reasons why I've shown criticism towards Microsoft.
To be honest, I'm actually wondering why someone would just accept all this and just keep rooting for the xbone, if not for a strong bias and/or some exaggerated faith over some statement about pouring a lot of money on exclusives.

You really think MS spent $1 billion on games to come up with some live titles?

I won't be mouth-watering over the sight of a guy waving a handful of bills.

As a matter of fact, I think that statement is utter bullshit.
I think it's either a blatant lie (I doubt any outsider will ever have access to microsoft's internal money transfers) or it's just a half-truth, where most of that $1b is money they would have to spend regardless on the salaries, equipment, rent, etc. of their 29 first-party studios worldwide.

Besides, pouring money on a game doesn't necessarily make it a good game either.

Looking at the focus they've shown so far (going after the Wii crowd), get ready to see a good portion of all those exlusives being Kinect games, TV interaction games and other stuff that I (and many others) couldn't care less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget that Sony showcased lengthy footage of both KZ:Shadowfall & Knack in Feb. We are now over 3 months later and Microsoft can't or won't showcase any proper footage.

We now have less than 2 weeks until Microsoft hold their E3 conference, and they WILL have to come out with all guns blazing and show some rather amazing titles and...

please relegate the TV/Media stuff out of their conference for their own good.

Each paragraph is a point.

The first point is that PS3 showed the best they had at the time. Im sure it will show even better at e3. However so what? Killzone isnt a phenomenon. Its Sonys attempt at being Halo and so far... *shrug* What if KZ is the best game they have to show period? Great so Killzone looks awesome... and wont make a dent in Halo sales. It certainly wont make a Halo lover switch consoles... two earlier versions didnt do the trick either.

Second point is OF COURSE! E3 is when you are supposed to come out guns ablaze. Thats the big show. You get to showcase your app, the way you want in a setting that befits your title.

MS didnt ask any devs to shorten their dev time for a one hour reveal 3 weeks before they absolutely need to. Thats not a bad thing. In fact I'm sure Devs appreciated it (yeah Johnathon Blow we know... No Braid on Xbox One boohoo).

The final line is hope THEY DO NOT RELEGATE THE TV Stuff to the back... in fact I hope the show some fabulous first party application playing and a skype call comes through and they snap it to the screen. Or they are playing some huge MMO which lives in the cloud they dont pause or stop it and move to watch the NBA finals or US Open. Then pick up their game from where they left off and the world changed... I think that would be awesome frankly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back