Wolfenstein: The New Order

No, its just weird PS4 service that nicely shows download progress of only PlayGo part of the game [and patch]. You can see the full download status of the game if you go to main screen of the PS4 OS > Game Icon > Option button on DS4 > Information. There you will see how much of total game size you have downloaded.

Yeah, I found this. But it really is stupid that there is no indication of my actual dl-rate.

How many chapters are there? I'm on 13 right now I think. Game gets better as you go on. One of the best SP campaigns I've played in a while. Shooting people in this game is so satisfying, especially with the auto shotgun, machine gun and laser cutter. :)

16 chapters, prepare for madness in last few levels. Game though you to use all weapons, you wont get anything new but you will need to survive great combat scenarios. I really liked that approach to gameplay... Learn the basic early on and then try to survive the madness.

Holy moly! The dl was annoying as hell and for this Sony and the devs stink...but the game is super great so far! Runs like butter on the PS4 and looks quite good imo. Like Rage on PC.

Holy moly! The dl was annoying as hell and for this Sony and the devs stink...but the game is super great so far! Runs like butter on the PS4 and looks quite good imo. Like Rage on PC.

Download notifications have nothing to do with devs. This is same for each game that has PlayGo.

I've completed Splinter Cell - Black List just before Wolfenstein and that makes the game mechanic aspects of Wolfenstein look even more aged.

Shouldn't a Splinter Cell game be much more complicated? Supposed to be stealth, etc. That's what I would expect. It's a different style of game.

I'm confused.

I watched the trailers, which looked pretty good.

I watched the gameplay review that was posted in this thread and it pretty much cemented my opinion that this game would be exactly as I want it to be. A full on, old-school shooter, where you are an invincible super warrior who can carry a stupid amount of weapons and ammo and while you can try to lean and play a bit steathly, the game is really about just being an ammo sponge and dealing out more damage than you take.

Isn't that what Wolfenstein is supposed to be?

Now, playing this game would be a challenge for me because I don't ever play games that way. I hate taking damage, I really hate dying even if it doesn't negatively impact my position in the game. It just breaks my immersion factor. I like to project myself into the character and play "more smartly". But that's also why I can never play the "tank" character in games and I've found games that have items that provide bonuses for dying (shields that blow up and destroy everybody else, etc) extremely difficult to play.

But I know that is what Wolfenstein is, and I know that I would be a much better gamer if I could adapt to any of the character types. Rather than being the guy who always tries to look through the sniper scope before entering into an area, or always trying to make sure there is some path of retreat or cover that I can hide behind, or always trying to surveil the map to locate higher ground and get to that vantage point for an advantage (Sun Tzu taught me that).

I can't imagine buying Wolfenstein and then being upset at a lack of choices or being forced to play the ammo sponge/tank character.

That's what the game is, right?

Shouldn't a Splinter Cell game be much more complicated? Supposed to be stealth, etc. That's what I would expect. It's a different style of game.

Sure it's more complex but it's not just a Stealth game depending how you play it(Assault, Panther, Ghost). The point was how your character moves and interacts with the environment. Sneaking at an enemy, ducking and moving. There Wolfenstein really feels stiff compared to that game.

I'm confused.

I watched the trailers, which looked pretty good.

I watched the gameplay review that was posted in this thread and it pretty much cemented my opinion that this game would be exactly as I want it to be. A full on, old-school shooter, where you are an invincible super warrior who can carry a stupid amount of weapons and ammo and while you can try to lean and play a bit steathly, the game is really about just being an ammo sponge and dealing out more damage than you take.

Isn't that what Wolfenstein is supposed to be?

Now, playing this game would be a challenge for me because I don't ever play games that way. I hate taking damage, I really hate dying even if it doesn't negatively impact my position in the game. It just breaks my immersion factor. I like to project myself into the character and play "more smartly". But that's also why I can never play the "tank" character in games and I've found games that have items that provide bonuses for dying (shields that blow up and destroy everybody else, etc) extremely difficult to play.

But I know that is what Wolfenstein is, and I know that I would be a much better gamer if I could adapt to any of the character types. Rather than being the guy who always tries to look through the sniper scope before entering into an area, or always trying to make sure there is some path of retreat or cover that I can hide behind, or always trying to surveil the map to locate higher ground and get to that vantage point for an advantage (Sun Tzu taught me that).

I can't imagine buying Wolfenstein and then being upset at a lack of choices or being forced to play the ammo sponge/tank character.

That's what the game is, right?

I have to play quite carefully. The game also encourages to take out special targets in stealth mode. Bullet sponge won't get you far imo. Only, if you sit besides a health box...but you would still lose your important armor when getting hit. So, if you explore the level and stealth around, you circumvent a lot of trouble.

The AI is quite ok (they flank you), hit reaction is good and shooting feels really right.

Hm, maybe there is a demo on PC you can try?

Played through the first 5 chapters with a buddy of mine on Sunday. I was totally delighted. Should have spent my money on that instead of Ubi's smelly dog turd. If I didn't have to jump through the usual annoying hoops to get my hands on it in Germany (the removal of symbolism doesn't really bother me, but the forced German dubbing does), I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

By the way, I don't think I've ever played a game or even watched a movie (a movie of the US entertainment-first kind at least) where Germans actually spoke proper German before. Usually they all sound like Hans Gruber (i.e. they mispronounce every single word. Language coaching seems to be a job with an extremely low barrier of entry) Good job, Wolfenstein.

I truly don't understand the hype. The weapon handling and game mechanics is just a decade too late. There is no flow to action sequences. All you do is shoot, hide, reload and reload with the energy weapon means you run away to the next energy station *a lot*. That's just no good gameplay.

F.E.A.R. or the last Max Payne, as an example for old school action these days, have a far better weapon handling and gameplay approach. Before I played through Wolfenstein I had just completed Splinter Cell Ghost and its Panther/Assault style(-gimmicks) and move/duck mechanics would have been ideal in Wolfenstein's concept.

But compared to that modern FPS gameplay implementation Wolfenstein's fake "Stealth" concept and "ducking" feels like a mute b&w movie. The gameplay IQ is just low for today's standards.

What the game has is a great atmosphere, story telling, art direction and creative level concepts. But that doesn't make this some GOTY candidate.

There was no hype for this, and the reviews are average. No it won't get nominated for GOTY, but most people who have played it, loved it. It's an underrated game IMO.

I wouldn't change a thing about the gameplay. The only thing I wish was better was the weapon wheel was a bit 'jumpy' for me. It was difficult to get to a specific weapon sometimes. Resistance had a great weapon wheel from what I remember.

I truly don't understand the hype. The weapon handling and game mechanics is just a decade too late. There is no flow to action sequences. All you do is shoot, hide, reload and reload with the energy weapon means you run away to the next energy station *a lot*. That's just no good gameplay.

F.E.A.R. or the last Max Payne, as an example for old school action these days, have a far better weapon handling and gameplay approach. Before I played through Wolfenstein I had just completed Splinter Cell Ghost and its Panther/Assault style(-gimmicks) and move/duck mechanics would have been ideal in Wolfenstein's concept.

But compared to that modern FPS gameplay implementation Wolfenstein's fake "Stealth" concept and "ducking" feels like a mute b&w movie. The gameplay IQ is just low for today's standards.

What the game has is a great atmosphere, story telling, art direction and creative level concepts. But that doesn't make this some GOTY candidate.

I agree with this opinion, only I’d go further and say that I found the game to be poor. I keep hearing people state that it’s a good thing that it is similar to how shooters ‘used to be’, I played Doom and Wolfenstein to death years ago, but do I still want to play those games? No. Rejecting a lot of the past twenty years’ game evolution is not a good thing to me - progression is, providing it has been done well.

Some of the ‘stealth’ parts of the game were laughable, I could be stood facing enemies clearly within view about 20ft away and they’d simply not notice me until I walked in their magical range of sight. Maybe if you totally get into the universe you’re able to forgive its misgivings, I just couldn’t see past the shoddy textures, lighting, and game dynamics. The story itself seemed… fine… for a game. If it was a movie, it’d get utterly panned.

If we’d like to have games consoles to appeal to the wider market this should be completely hidden from view.

Maybe I’m becoming a bit snobbish in my old age. ;)

I wouldn't change a thing about the gameplay. The only thing I wish was better was the weapon wheel was a bit 'jumpy' for me. It was difficult to get to a specific weapon sometimes. Resistance had a great weapon wheel from what I remember.

The dual wielding versions in the wheel were imho redundant. Without these there would have been more space to minimize the selection problems.

Opinions are like........ and everyone has one. ;)

Maybe I enjoyed Wolf more than I should have because Watch Dogs and Thief are such boring trash. Or maybe because it made me think of games like FEAR and RTCW. I did enjoy the difficulty and the AI tactics. Sometimes it had almost a Quake3 vibe too in the intensity and ambient music.

The dual wielding versions in the wheel were imho redundant. Without these there would have been more space to minimize the selection problems.

Except when you use the second fire option on the second weapon. That way you can spray the area with bullets or pellets and simultaneously launch grenades or those bouncing shrapnel shotgun shots. Really ups the gib quota.

Back