AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

21j7ll3.jpg

http://www.hardwareversand.de/709/AMD.search

Delivery date unknown?

Does it mean the production is slow and there are problems with it?

I still don't understand how "driver issues" can affect one SKU when others based on the same chip aren't similarly affected.

I want one, and I don't even have a R9-290(X) or watercooling!

I've just noticed that the little embossing inside the right of the cooler is a map of the Hawaiian islands.

Plus the whole thing kinda looks like a swimming pool with a diving board. Too bad they will mostly be inside cases that no one will ever see, especially with video card coolers facing the bottom.

I still don't understand how "driver issues" can affect one SKU when others based on the same chip aren't similarly affected.
Sounds like it's not so much as "driver issues" as it's they have a better performing driver that's almost ready. Since the GTX 780 just dropped to $499, they need the R9 290 to give the 780 a good beating to make it a bargain at $449.

There may be limited gain for trying to re-do a product that is already released and reviewed, so AMD might not have asked for it for the 290X.

The slides I've seen show that the 290 is also a 6+8 pin power connector device.
If this is just a question of better resource utilization that increases performance, that would serve to push the lower bin closer to the same power limit as the top one.

The drivers might start to make a difference again with non-standard 290X boards, maybe.

Sounds like it's not so much as "driver issues" as it's they have a better performing driver that's almost ready. Since the GTX 780 just dropped to $499, they need the R9 290 to give the 780 a good beating to make it a bargain at $449.

Or, they can make everyone happier by simply putting the card for 379- 399$. Sounds much easier and better, doesn't it?

Oh, and these drivers optimisations- I hope they don't sacrifice image quality for the sake of FPS...

Does it mean the production is slow and there are problems with it?

Oh, and these drivers optimisations- I hope they don't sacrifice image quality for the sake of FPS...

Do you own stock in nvidia by any chance? Stop throwing wild accusations around without having a single shred of evidence.

Do you own stock in nvidia by any chance? Stop throwing wild accusations around without having a single shred of evidence.

I hate when people make it personal.

The first is a normal logical reasonable question which you obviously don't try to answer and the second line is just what people around the web talk about

Why does it hurt you so much everything what I post?

I hate when people make it personal.

The first is a normal logical reasonable question which you obviously don't try to answer and the second line is just what people around the web talk about

Why does it hurt you so much everything what I post?

This is not personal. One website has "Delivery Date Unknown" for the 290x and you jump to asking about production problems? Then in your very next post you ask whether amd will sacrifice image quality for fps (hint: no). Playing the "what if" game does not further the discussion.

Again, please don't post wild speculation without having some *real* evidence backing it up. If you have a problem with this, please pm AlexV.

This is not personal. One website has "Delivery Date Unknown" for the 290x and you jump to asking about production problems? Then in your very next post you ask whether amd will sacrifice image quality for fps (hint: no). Playing the "what if" game does not further the discussion.

Again, please don't post wild speculation without having some *real* evidence backing it up. If you have a problem with this, please pm AlexV.

Thank you for your post.
Yes, it seems that I do worry too much but it is not like things didn't happen in the past...

I never allow myself to have problems with people for nothing. If something, I will simply disappear

Plus the whole thing kinda looks like a swimming pool with a diving board. Too bad they will mostly be inside cases that no one will ever see, especially with video card coolers facing the bottom.

I should think if you're buying one of these, you've got one of those upside-down cases with a window in the side. If not, you'd get one to show this baby off!

Apparently there is a nickel coated version in production if you prefer silver, but the manufacturer hasn't put out any pictures yet.

OCUK are selling them at about £85, so they add quite a bit to the price of a card, but if you're wanting one of these, you're probably a money-no-object kind of shopper. If you're going to buy a water block, you might as well get a beautiful one that also cools the VRMs properly.

Those results are really weird. As far as I can see, multiplayer results are 1080p no AA and no AF, while single player results are with AA and AF. Where are multiplayer results with AA and AF?

It's not "driver issues", it's the fact that R9 290 was supposed to compete against GTX 770, now with the recent price cuts it will compete GTX 780.
The new drivers will increase clock speeds apparently and reviewers have been asked to re-run their benches with the new drivers for R9 290 (when they get the new drivers)

Back