AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Yeah, AMD doesn't need to do anything but release the 290 non X. It will be just as fast as 780 and will reportedly be cheaper than $500.

There were only eight thousand BF4/R9-290X packs worldwide, but there were many more R9-290X cards available that did not have the BF special edition included.

Someone's getting confused about the BF4 limited edition and all the other cards that you could buy without BF4.

Oh, dear, what's happening. AMD released the card at 550$ and nvidia responded today by slashing from 650 to 500$ the prices of GTX 780.

Waiting for AMD response- Radeon 290X for the real price of 369$

Err, why would they do that when the 290 will be the 780's competitor and cost less than $500?

There were only eight thousand BF4/R9-290X packs worldwide, but there were many more R9-290X cards available that did not have the BF special edition included.

Someone's getting confused about the BF4 limited edition and all the other cards that you could buy without BF4.

I think I answered my own question.
Fud is spreading about that US retailers and etailers only had a few thousand cards.

This is the same Fud that spread Nvidia was only going to have 10k Titans made.

Err, why would they do that when the 290 will be the 780's competitor and cost less than $500?

Radeon 6970 was launched for 369$, and I don't see any sane reason why 550$ should be the final price, it is just a confusing low price given nvidias 1k$ parts...

I think I answered my own question.
Fud is spreading about that US retailers and etailers only had a few thousand cards.

This is the same Fud that spread Nvidia was only going to have 10k Titans made.

290Xs at newegg were sold out in only couple of hours and since then there has been nothing new. That fud is true

The paper launch of 290x(a few thousand cards world wide) really hurt potential sales.

I am afraid he is right. At newegg you have 0 available 290Xs

I doubt anyone expected this kind of demand for the cards, AMD has done an incredible job in that regard. If you think about their situation where they really need every 28nm TSMC wafer for guaranteed console sales, it wouldn't be a surprise to find out they went with a very small initial run of cards.

So I wouldn't call it a "paper launch" as it's a lot more likely that the initial batch sold out much faster than they ever imagined it would.

I am sure they have forecasting for this... They indeed did a great job to decrease for a moment nvidia's sales, but now it is completely different- you have the GTX 780 for less money and available right now... Have no idea what AMD can do best now

Waiting for Mantle benches...

If AMD had waited for more inventory before releasing the 290X, that would have been a smart decision. I dunno how many cards they have moved in the last week, but it's not enough. As of 6AM PST the 290X is nothing special in the value department.

The 780Ti should be on par with or maybe a little faster than the 290X ya? Which means it will be about $50 overpriced, but also comes with 3 good games. Hopefully AMD will remedy the bundle situation soon.

The 770 remains overpriced vs the 280X, although again it has the game bundle. AMD needs the bundles!

The regular R290 could be the real winner here. Cheaper than the GTX780 but on par performance wise with some clockspeed headroom. And bundles plz. :)

The 290 non-X was always likely to be the smart buy. AMD could easily charge $400 for it and put more pressure on the 780 but they'll probably go for $450 and that will settle the market in a way that suits them both.

290 will compete with the 780. there is no reason AMD would need to adjust anything. 290x will likely be just as fast as the 780TI when the custom cooler solutions hit the field.

They basically just need to bring back never settle, which they likely will.

If AMD had waited for more inventory before releasing the 290X, that would have been a smart decision. I dunno how many cards they have moved in the last week, but it's not enough. As of 6AM PST the 290X is nothing special in the value department.

Is it really fair to make such claims?

Another week without launching the 290X would be another week with nVidia selling the GTX 780 for $650, and another week's worth of potential customers willing to buy a graphics card for the coming holiday season.

nVidia's price cut and 780 Ti release was a reaction to the Hawaii launch. Had the 290X been released in December 1st, nVidia would announce the 780 Ti and price cuts in December 5th. Delaying the 290X would be pointless.

Accordingly, the R9 290's release price will probably be a reaction to nVidia's reactionary price cuts, hence the delay between cards.

I dont take any responsability about this, i have no idea how this come from FUD http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/32962-radeon-r9-290x-sold-out-in-hours

Radeon R9 290X Fastest selling card in recent history

A major US-based etailer has informed us that the new Radeon R9 290X sold out quite fast. In fact, they said that it sold a lot faster than any card in recent history and this happened on the launch day, in a matter of hours.
AMD shipped a few thousand cards to US etailers and retailers and from what we can tell they sold them practically instantly. Some major player expects to get larger batches of cards this week but the demand is overwhelming and they will probably sell out just as fast.

Is it really fair to make such claims?

Another week without launching the 290X would be another week with nVidia selling the GTX 780 for $650, and another week's worth of potential customers willing to buy a graphics card for the coming holiday season.

nVidia's price cut and 780 Ti release was a reaction to the Hawaii launch. Had the 290X been released in December 1st, nVidia would announce the 780 Ti and price cuts in December 5th. Delaying the 290X would be pointless.

Accordingly, the R9 290's release price will probably be a reaction to nVidia's reactionary price cuts, hence the delay between cards.

Good points for sure.

I agree that NVIDIA was bound to lower prices in response to Hawaii (obviously), my point is simply that if they'd waited until they could sate demand for the 290X in the first week of release, AMD could have sold a lot more cards before NVIDIA's reaction. Waiting another couple of weeks to build up stock wouldn't hurt them so much would it?

Of course, hindsight is 20/20 and this is simply opinion/speculation since we really don't know how many cards they shipped. Maybe it was a thousand, maybe a million :p

P.S. the 290X is still not in stock at newegg. I know that is somewhat typical for a high-end launch but it doesn't have to be that way.

I'd really like to hear "proper sources" for this since there's only one BIOS out there in TPU database which has any mentions of XT2 for R9 280X, and even it says XT2_XTL, the rest say all XTL or nothing at all.

So at least IMO everything points to all the R9 280Xs already using XTL, and like I think Dave mentioned here, the differences between XT2 and XTL and Pitcairn and Curacao are simply in the TSMC process improvements which could be used with the 'new revisions' but weren't in use on the older chips

So to summarise the 290X launch - AMD lost out on sales by delaying a week, and also lost out on sales by not delaying a further week.

Fucking hell, it's tough at the top.

Good points for sure.

I agree that NVIDIA was bound to lower prices in response to Hawaii (obviously), my point is simply that if they'd waited until they could sate demand for the 290X in the first week of release, AMD could have sold a lot more cards before NVIDIA's reaction. Waiting another couple of weeks to build up stock wouldn't hurt them so much would it?

Of course, hindsight is 20/20 and this is simply opinion/speculation since we really don't know how many cards they shipped. Maybe it was a thousand, maybe a million :p

P.S. the 290X is still not in stock at newegg. I know that is somewhat typical for a high-end launch but it doesn't have to be that way.

You know it is impossible to produce million Hawaii chips. No one would buy them :LOL:

It was a joke, as the real number is obviously somewhere between a thousand and a million. Only one member of the forum knows for sure, but his lips are sealed. :)

Back